All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] playfield on backglass monitor

jangus

I have one playfield monitor and one backglass monitor.

In the select game mode I can change where the playfield and backglass appear in the settings.
But the playfield allways show up on the backglass monitor and the backglass on the playfield monitor when I start a game.

I have tried with changing what monitor is number 1 and 2 by switching what connection on the graphic card they are connected to. DVI and HDMI
That did not help.

The settings I have found are:
PinballX\Config\PinballX.ini
Where I changed 
[Display]
Monitor=1 (between 1 and 0)
[BackGlass]
monitor=0 (between 0 and 1)

and also the settings in 
PinballX\Settings.exe
Main Display  (between 1 and 0)
Back Glass Display  (between 0 and 1)

Is there any more settings that I could/should change?

I'm going through my first setup right now, and just experienced the same thing. I'm using a laptop with a second monitor connected. I wanted the second monitor to be the playfield, and the laptop monitor to be the backglass.  Even though I had the settings correct in PinballX (backglass as monitor 1 and playfield as monitor 2), and had confirmed multiple times that the monitors identified as the correct ones, when I started a game it would always start on what I had set as the backglass monitor (monitor 1, the laptop monitor).  What fixed this for me, was to go into "Screen Resolution" and change my external monitor (monitor 2), to the default monitor in windows. I changed no settings in PinballX, and this completely resolved the issue for me.  Hope this helps :)

Also, first post!

Carny_Priest: Yes, they are reverse when I start a game.

xactionbobx: I have done what you wrote. It gives me the playfield on the correct monitor. But the back glass show up on the same screen and behind the playfield. I have tried changing the monitors in PinballC.ini and in Settings.exe but it does not get any better.

Generally speaking, if the game is not set up correctly then nothing you do in PinballX will fix it. PinballX is just the front-end.

But it sounds like you are using the newer installation routines that attempt to set up Visual Pinball for you? I don't know much about that feature. It sounds like xactionbobx is giving you the right advice. You will need to have whatever screen you intend to use for your playfield configured in Windows as your primary display (i.e., not the one that is your laptop screen). At this point, you might try uninstalling everything. Set up your playfield display as your primary display, and then try to install again. 

1 hour ago, Kustom Kid said:

Wouldn't editing the screenres txt file fix this?

Yes. Easy for us since we know how all of these separate applications, VP, B2S, VPM, etc., work together. Very confusing for someone new to the platform. These easy install solutions are supposed to bypass all of this tinkering. Probably will be easier for the OP to simply start over. Not much lost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jangus said:

Yes, probably nothing else then reinstall.

I also have problem with the pinDMD settings in VPinMAME. So hopefully that also get fixed by a fresh install.

If you are really talking about pinDMD, that is a separate piece of hardware for attaching a real dot matrix display from a real pinball machine. If you don't have this hardware, then you don't have to worry about pinDMD settings. 

Again, I haven't been through the process of installing Visual Pinball via PinballX. Maybe there is a tutorial? In any case, if you at least get the playfield and backglass displaying on the correct screens then configuring the rest should fall into place. 

I will reinstall tomorrow. But before that I wil try to find the screenres txt file.

With pinDMD I meant the pinDMD3 that has a LED DMD and is connected to USB and power.
(I have tested two pinDMD2 but they never worked at all. Might have been damage during freight)