All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Nintendo Switch

tthurman

They're already moving to software on iOS and Android devices. If this console flops they will probably do what your suggested han. They've dominated the handheld market for like 25 years now. They're losing market share to smartphones. It's a logical step I think.

As for this new system, if they release a new Metroid for it I'll get it, if not I'll probably pass. 

10 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

Yeah, another attempt at trying to be cutting edge, again with a new kind of controller.  I honestly feel Nintendo has "lost it".  They should just do what Atari did and become a software company.

Agreed (about the software part), but I think they could focus on recapturing market share with traditional next gen console and killer/comfortable controller. Get back to the basics and lose the gimmicks...

4 hours ago, stigzler said:

...Maybe it lies in VR...

Yes!

VR as a built in functionality. They'd be the first console with VR not being an afterthought. They could nail that market, they have all the right exclusive franchises (namely Metroid, Mario, Zelda and Starfox). First Person shooter/RPGs and sims are a given for VR. So Metroid and Starfox would be a no brainer. Mario and Zelda could be the innovation they need to get back on the map. How to bring platform and RPG into the VR realm poses an exciting challenge. I think a traditional approach to hardware (just a capable nextgen console that looks good in a AV cab), plug'n play peripherals (like a range of VR headsets, genra specific controllers, and haptic feedback devices), and the innovative software unique to Nintendo (above mentioned franchises and that Nintendo mojo) is all they need to dominate once again.

The key is to not force a gimick on us. Have the motion controls, have the VR, have the Tablet and touch screes, but make them plug'n play devices; Add ons that are compatible with a traditional next gen Console. No requirement to play a game with VR, or with the tablet, or with the motion controls. Sometimes I just want to play a game with my TV and a comfortable controller (no motion control, no tablet, no stylus, no gimmicks). And if later I feel like putting on a VR headset, haptic feedback suit, grab a FPS genra rifle controller for a full blown holodeck like experience, I would have the option. That's where I envision the future of gaming, not some weird lego controller tablet (seriosusly? WTF is that Nintendo?).

Truthfully, I think Sony gets it. They seem to be on top of their game, and frankly I don't see Nintendo catching up anymore. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

I am not a huge fan of what Nintendo has done lately.

Having said that I am actually looking forward to the Switch. This is the first time since the Playstation2 that I am excited about a console launch and will be following this closely. The architecture looks good and while it's obviously not a $1800 PC gaming rig it looks like it will be able to run the games I care about very well. We'll have to see.

It doesn't matter what I say, I'm a fan boy so I'll buy it.

That being said, I think it looks cool! I really dig the portability. And with SD capacity these days, moving back to cartridges will increase performance. Discs are so last gen!! It's about time Nintendo got back on their game and enlisted some good 3rd party dev support.

I haven't been this pumped about a Nintendo console since the GameCube. No VR for me please, stick to the formula that works and stop experimenting with functionality. Form factor is what really matters to me if you want to stay relevant. Can't wait to see how they incorporate Pokemon Go style functionality in the next gen! The possibilities are endless!

I'm also happy to have a console that's also a handheld. One price and one machine... Sign me up!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adultery said:

I'm also happy to have a console that's also a handheld. One price and one machine... Sign me up!

This is another HUGE selling point. I like that the console that can be picked up and taken out without loss of quality. ELDER SCROLLS! :lol:

I will most likely be doing a pre-order/payoff on this. Something I haven't done in 16 years. I read some more on it here:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

On 20 October 2016 at 4:35 PM, hansolo77 said:

Yeah, another attempt at trying to be cutting edge, again with a new kind of controller.  I honestly feel Nintendo has "lost it".  They should just do what Atari did and become a software company.

I don't like to be pessimistic, but i owned most Nintendo systems from ori-gameboy, NES to GC, and i have to agree with Han here, - Sega is a good lesson on when to quit ^^... They can't compete in hardware, so bail-out and make the most out of software.

We all love Mario, so spread it wide. I'd buy it! I'm sure i'm not isolated either!

I stopped at the SNES, then moved to the PC, and back and forth between the PC, XBOX and PS3, but regardless I missed N64, which is arguably the best of them. 

I enjoyed the wii, even though it was my nephews kicking my ass on it.  To me anyway, the current trend is for shooter, madden, shooter, rpg.....rinse, wash repeat.  I just hope Nintendo can return us to some of the fun days of just playing a game, one without having inventory and all that jazz that comes from most current games.  Given the wide array of options this seems to bring to the table; play it at home or on the go, sure seems to me they have a solid plan combining the two....most kids aren't 50 like me:D

I have to say I didn't expect to see this kind of support for it. Maybe I've lost touch with gaming. I guess I'm just underwhelmed.

Ok, so I'll admit I like the idea of removable controls for the tablet and the charging dock doubling as a console connected to a TV, but I don't like the controls on a plastic "doohickey" to make an awkward controller. I'm mainly concerned it'll be an overpriced tablet and under powered console. The upside being, of course, it plays Nintendo content. The disappointment being, I expected more.

This is what happens when the allspark hits a tablet resting on a wii U! I swear this thing is strait out of transformers. Maybe that's a good thing. IDK, I'm skeptical.

I guess where I'm coming from is that it seems that most tablet games suck....at least to me.  Now if I could walk around with an ipad or droid based tablet that had quality games, I may feel differently.  Seems that market has fallen to the "free" are to so nearly free that it alienates any of the good devs to produce good material for them. 

I like that aspect of the switch, quality games...but I already have a tablet. I'm not sure I really want another one, especially since the one I have is a full fledged windows 10 PC which I use daily for work. An android tab just doesn't appeal to me. If the switch had open architecture to allow any OS to coexist with the Nintendo functionality, that would be a different story. But I'm certainly not going to walk around with 2 tablets on me. I'd rather replace the one I have with the switch, as long as I don't loose functionality.

It's really no different to me than carrying my tablet and my 3DS around. Add my phone to that and I really kinda have three. ;)

2 hours ago, Adultery said:

It's really no different to me than carrying my tablet and my 3DS around. Add my phone to that and I really kinda have three. ;)

Touche

So, maybe my problem isn't with the switch as much as it is with my frustration of having to carry a purse (or satchel if you will) with me all the time...lol. So many devices. I'm starting to sound old, am I not?

Actually, now that I've had a chance to mull it over, it's starting to grow on me...the switch that is.

• It runs android, and all the emus that implys.
  • Has 2 controllers on-board and a Pro version easily pairable
  • Has a more than capable processor

That would make for a killer mobile gaming platform. That does get me excited. I wonder how they plan to cool it though. I had a tablet I returned because it had active cooling. It that took air in through vents on the top rim and a blower fan pushed out scolding hot air through the side. It wasn't too loud, but it was not suitable for quiet places. I get the feeling they will have to do something like this.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry, but I'm not the least bit interested in this system.  I regret not buying an Xbox One, but only slightly.  Honestly, I feel like home gaming consoles are reaching their pinnacle, and there's going to be a major game crash looming.  I don't know what it is, maybe it's just because I'm getting older and haven't had much interest as of late.  But I feel like there's not been much happening other than the VR.  All the games look and play the same anymore.  It's stagnating.

That's what makes the switch great, it's not like every other cookie cutter game system, and the games aren't the same as all the other offerings out there.

...and VR is probably a fad.

/my 2c

I already have mine on pre-order. Walmart is allowing customers to put them on "lay-away" as a way to pre-order. This will allow me to pay it off slowly and get my console on release day. I also get my 10% Associate discount so another incentive to do it through Walmart.

This will almost definitely, in all honesty, be my last console purchase. I stopped at PS3/X360 and have not regretted it. I have so many games now that I will never play that it makes little to no sense to buy yet another system that will sit there and stream Netflix... My NES, SNES, GBA and N64 are set up with Everdrive carts and my Atari has a Harmony cartridge, my PS2 has a HDD with McBoot and on top of that the PS3 and XBox 360 still have games I haven't played through. My PSP emulates everything up to PS1 (except N64) and makes it all portable. Oh... and my GameEx arcade cabinet with every emulator available plus MAME. Not even mentioning the library of over 270 GoG games waiting to be played.

That's ridiculous. I'll never play all that even if I am reincarnated as my own great-grandson and have another lifetime to play them all.

So yeah ... I want the Switch. I will have it. I doubt I'll ever buy another system though so I will enjoy it all the more. Besides... I'll say it again...

On 10/21/2016 at 7:53 PM, ClassicGMR said:

ELDER SCROLLS! :lol:

EDIT: I am also curious to see if the community can "crack" the Switch and turn that into the all-encompassing emulation station the PSP had become.

EDIT2: I just noticed I mirrored Draco's comments from this weekend. Unintentional but true never the less.

Edited by ClassicGMR
Added thought(s).