All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

weird freezes after last update

helpman

Hi there!

I updated gameex a couple days ago, and since then it takes AGES to load. Everything else on the cabinet is the same, just updated gameex.

When I click on a game and the game details page shows on gameex (run this game, add to favourites, other games/ports...) it takes some minutes to load when it was almost instant before.

More than that, every time I try to launch a mame game, which was working great before, now it just freezes. blanck screen and nothing. I have to hard-reset the computer as nothing works. not even the task administrator shows up. system becomes irresponsive.

anybody else had this problem before?

Did you install from the Update prompt within GameEx or download and run the setup? If from the Update prompt, download the latest build and run the install again. Also, we will need to see your log.txt file and gameex.ini file after attempting the previous step. Thanks!

I tried to access the log files, and the computer freezes when I try to access those folders. weeeeeeird

After a couple reboots, gameex launches but it goes back to the original setup, losing every single bit of my setup.

I updated it from the update prompt, and I'm thinking about downloading the full setup and install it again.

Question is: uninstall everything first or overwrite files?

Just in case I'm running a disk scan to make sure there're no problem with some files.

it takes AGES and if I check that drive on "my computer" sometimes it displays the free space, something nothing, like there's some problem with that drive... oh boy! don't tell me it's dying! I need those files :( aaaaaaaargh

You may want to backup your GameEx setup!

It isn't necessary to uninstall, just install over the top of your current install. I suspect that if your drive is failing, you may want to backup your files while you still can and address that issue first.

ok, more weird issues coming...

Now I tried to use a chkdsk from command prompt, everything loads fine (windows I mean), then a popup appears... (text translated from spanish)

-------------------------

microsoft.net framework

Uncontrolled exception on an application component. If you click on continue the app will dismiss this error and will try to continue

Can't load the file or internal assembly "interop.AVGAComObj, Version=1.0.0.0 Culture=neutral, Publickeytoken=null nor one of it's dependencies. Task can't be done by an error of the E/S device (Hresult exception 0x80070450)

----------------------------

meanwhile sometimes the drive "free space" bar on windows explorer sometimes shows up, sometimes doesn't...

When I have encountered similar errors in the past, it was a definitive indicator of an imminent HDD failure. I hope you are able find an affordable replacement drive. Hopefully you will be able to slave your current drive so you can copy the contents you wish to keep over to the new drive.

so long, farewell, goodbye aufwiedersehein.... drive unreachable, goes on and off, and I can't access the files long enough to copy them.

OS was on another drive, but all arcade related was lost. all mame romset 177, nes, snes, sms, genesis, n64,  pinballmania, all guitar hero/rockband songs for phase shift, gameex, xpadder, teamviewer remote, ledblinky and all it's animations customised for my controls... 

what can I do? well, I'll just reinstall windows 7 OS to make sure it's neat and clean on my boot drive, then wait for a replacement and slowly download and install everything back... with a 6mbit adsl internet connection it will take a while... sigh-!

Everything is recoverable somehow, but according to that freezing guide, you can use for several minutes... it was not a fast drive, and I'm talking about more than 400gb to recover :D thanks for the tip, though :D