All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Track & Field

I'm struggling that is where I am at. :D  

I found a FAQ that says you only actually have to hit the one of the run buttons to get your speed up...but it throws off my whole stance!  I cannot get past hurdles...this has always been my biggest "hurdle" in the past(no pun intended) that 14 second qualifier time gets me almost every time, except on my good runs...but I would normally went through the game once on Easy to feel like I am achieving something.  Now I cannot get past the 4th level...so depressing....LOL

WP_20161010_005.jpg

From what I understand, the absolute best speed is achieved by ensuring that you alternate button presses between the two run buttons.  But not only does that take great skill to do quickly, if you accidentally hit both buttons simultaneously it’s actually detrimental to your speed.  The latter reason is why some of the pros at this game focus on hitting one of the run buttons as quickly as possible, to avoid inadvertently hitting both at the same time and losing speed.  

Personally, I still find the best results by going nuts on both buttons, but keeping up speed is tough. 

Just so we’re clear here—I assume we’re disallowing the use of any “foreign objects” to speed up button presses?  For example, it is possible to use pencils, combs, electric toothbrushes, plastic cups, auto-fire, etc. to actuate the buttons and achieve superhuman speed.  If it’s in question, my vote is to mandate disallowing such techniques, to keep the playing field as level as possible.   

1 hour ago, Cynicaster said:

Just so we’re clear here—I assume we’re disallowing the use of any “foreign objects” to speed up button presses?  For example, it is possible to use pencils, combs, electric toothbrushes, plastic cups, auto-fire, etc. to actuate the buttons and achieve superhuman speed.  If it’s in question, my vote is to mandate disallowing such techniques, to keep the playing field as level as possible.   

I sure as hell hope people are not using objects to assist! :D I remember I saw a guy back in the arcades used a comb..

1 hour ago, Cynicaster said:

From what I understand, the absolute best speed is achieved by ensuring that you alternate button presses between the two run buttons.  But not only does that take great skill to do quickly, if you accidentally hit both buttons simultaneously it’s actually detrimental to your speed.  The latter reason is why some of the pros at this game focus on hitting one of the run buttons as quickly as possible, to avoid inadvertently hitting both at the same time and losing speed.  

Personally, I still find the best results by going nuts on both buttons, but keeping up speed is tough. 

That is how I always used to do it until I found the FAQ...I'm going back to my old ways! :)

1 button or 2, doesn't matter to me.  But the use of foreign objects to aid in the superhuman capabilities is NOT ALLOWED.. There, I made it official.  :D In fact, there is an alternative high score board on Twin Galaxies FOR that, but we're keeping it fair and simple here.  Like you guys had to even ask.. lol

Nice entry there RTKIII!!!  Glad to see you on the board finally.  <snicker>

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 1

22 hours ago, patrickfx said:

OK, 51K 5th try.

Next, I will setup the snapshot in my cabs.  So long I didn't touch the configuration.  Is mame version important or just the rom name and version?

I have a old 1.06 mame version.  I didn't touch it since 4 year. 

I don't think the MAME version is important, but it IS important that you adjust the game's DIP settings to match.  Those are our rules.  By default, the game is set up much easier than we are all playing at, and you have to be set up the same way to be fair.  Check the first post in this thread for the settings to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansolo77 said:

I don't think the MAME version is important, but it IS important that you adjust the game's DIP settings to match.  Those are our rules.  By default, the game is set up much easier than we are all playing at, and you have to be set up the same way to be fair.  Check the first post in this thread for the settings to change.

Thanks.  Yes, I change dip setting to normal.  

So, my score today is 63350.  When I was looking last message before taday, I didn't realize at the end of high jump, it's the end of the game !  

And about foreigh object, no way.  All pure hand and finger.  BUT !!!  I have a secret with my hand and finger.  :ph34r:  with track & field.   Don't know why but it work !:)

Did you know about spider bonus ?  But a=only 1000 points !!

Note :  The upload image was not work at that time.

• Like 1

Played a bit more last night....more acceptable score. :)

64,140....i seem to be having problems uploading to site...ill try again later

Says:  "Trouble processing upload.  Please contact us for assistance"  Anyone else seeing this?

At first I thought maybe patrickfx was doing something wrong, but if rtkiii is also having trouble uploading, there probably is something wrong with the site.  I'm actually on my way out the door for work right now so I can't test this.  Maybe it'll be working again by the time I get home.  Maybe send a memo out to Tom and see if there's something he can do?

47 minutes ago, hansolo77 said:

At first I thought maybe patrickfx was doing something wrong, but if rtkiii is also having trouble uploading, there probably is something wrong with the site.  I'm actually on my way out the door for work right now so I can't test this.  Maybe it'll be working again by the time I get home.  Maybe send a memo out to Tom and see if there's something he can do?

I sent a PM to Dazzle since he is pretty helpful.  I figure he can pass the issue to whoever would look at this.  Tested again and the issue remains.

Nice Score Cynicaster....I feel I can do better than my last score...but you are making it a bit tougher to take 1st....that's for sure.  And thanks for letting me think I was in striking distance with my score post for a couple hours...JERK!  LOL

Lots of good competition this month.  I really like it, thanks guys for keeping at it this time!

Yeah I forgot to post up a reply that Tom "fixed" it.  Not sure what it was, but he sent me a reply asking who couldn't do it, then when I tried to log in to tell him the site wouldn't even let me connect to the inbox.  Then it went completely offline for a bit before he replied back and said he fixed it.  We'll keep an eye on it though and let him know if anything else happens.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Yeah, we've increased the difficulty and limited the ability to play through multiple times.  So pretty much NOBODY should be getting anywhere near 100k.  I'm officially disqualifying them, because if you really are THAT GOOD, you should have TwinGalaxies and Guiness World Records beating down your door for proof and recognition.  :)

Nice entry patrickfx!  It's nice to see your progression as you worked to get an awesome score.  Double what I can do.  And it's better than MO's score too, so you KNOW he's going to come back and try to beat you! :P I'm going to try and play this some more before the competition is over.  Also... welcome to our competition!  This marks your very first entry!  Let me or one of the other high score moderators know if you have any questions.  We keep it simple, and it looks like you got the idea.  :) Lets keep those scores coming buddy!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Yes, 

34 minutes ago, hansolo77 said:

Wow you just keep getting better and better!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

But I make the error to go see TG score :wacko:  Bof!  Doesn't matter, I really not care because it's the point why I like your competition, it's more amical ...  I'm like probably a lot of people, I have little time per week for fun.  Let said 2 or 3 hours per weeks :)

@patrixkfx - Hey, whatever extra time you get, use it to get your ranking up by playing games on the Games List!  Your ranking will soar in no time.  

I see another Track and Field day in the near future.  

MO