All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Track & Field

October 2016 GOTM Winner: Cynicaster - 78,470 (link)

Track & Field
Track & Field Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Cynicaster 78,470 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
2 patrickfx 77,560 patrickfx's Hi-Score Entry
3 rtkiii 73,150 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
4 millerbrad 67,730 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
5 Mame Offender 63,080 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
6 ExedExes 61,200 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
7 GimmeClassics 60,340 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
8 GeorgeT 44,760 GeorgeT's Hi-Score Entry
9 hansolo77 35,800 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
10 Floyd Turbo 24,420 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 07-30-2019

plus10.jpg

1. RedDog - 24,280 (link)

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Track & Field:

ROMSet: TrackFld
Lives: 1
After Last Event: Game Over [THIS SWITCH MUST BE CHANGED!!!!]
Cabinet: Upright
Bonus Life: 100000
World Records: Erase On Reset
Difficulty: Normal
Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

This month's game was suggested MANY months ago by a fellow participant, but was never voted on till now.  So here's your chance to shine @rtkiii!!!!  There was a mention of a cheating tactic that helps "save your fingers".  I'm not familiar with this, so if more information can be brought to light, I'll update the OP with official determination.  From what I can see over at TwinGalaxies :link: they have a few different categories from which to select from.  A standard points, a points with "Engineering", a points with included trackball, etc.  I'm going with the standard/default points.  It seems to be the one that would be most useful.  It doesn't require any special controls (not all people have trackballs in their cabs), or special engineering capabilities.  The "buttons only" category also shows a TwinGalaxies requirement of having video proof you're only using buttons.  Since we don't require videos in our friendly competition here, I decided not to use that one.  However, you should be using buttons only lol..  Also, it should be noted that the current World Record holder for this game, verified as of 2005, has not achieved beyond the 100k mark, so seeing scores posted here with that 100k "Bonus Life" given will automatically be disqualified.  There's no way in hell you legitimately earned that, or else you'd be on the TwinGalaxies website long before coming here.  We don't offer any prizes or rewards, but TwinGalaxies does, and you might even get Guinness to come over to your house and make it official.  Just saying.  NO CHEATING smh.  Also, If you decide not to change any of the default settings, I'm honestly ok with that provided you at least change the "After Last Event" setting.  The default setting for Bonus Life is NONE, so no big difference there.  The default setting for World Records is to NOT ERASE.  So keeping your World Records would be a nice thing to see when you come back to the game in the future.  But please change the After Last Event so the game properly ends rather than having you keep playing and earning even higher scores.

Track & Field, known in Japan as Hyper Olympic (ハイパーオリンピック Haipā Orinpikku?), is a 1983 Olympic-themed sports arcade game developed and published by Konami. The Japanese release sported an official license for the 1984 Summer Olympics.

The arcade version was released in 1983. The simple gameplay, based on quick repeating button presses, set the basics for sequels and similar games in the genre for the next decades. There were several home versions of the original; the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC versions were only released as part of the Game, Set and Match II compilation in 1988, and are poorly regarded by fans.[1][2] The NES version was especially well-received, and sold well.[citation needed]

Quote from Wikipedia (link)

• Like 1

Yes, just one play through.  That's the TwinGalaxies rules.  I don't really care much about the World Records, and there's no way somebody here is going to hit that 100k mark.  But by keeping it as one play through, that will keep it fair with the "official" rules, and essentially restrict the 1credit/1game aspect of our own rules.  If you're really good at this game, you could inevitably continue playing indefinitely with the game "restarting" after each run through.  This way we have a definite Game Over.

Ok...I will work on just a one round play through.  When I do my screen shot I will have higher scores due to the fact just a heads up so it does not cause any confusion.  Thanks for the calrification

I played a little the other night and never realized i was on EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)  Switched to normal and could not get past hammer...and for whatever reason could not take a picture with my new stupid phone :)  I think I was at 25k or so...definitely beatable.  Makes you really have to do GREAT on all events to compete...where as with looping events I could just coast through the first round...then work a little harder in the 2nd round...then I would always get eliminated in the 3rd round.  Now you have to just do good!

More practice ahead.

• Like 1

FYI when I changed my difficulty to Normal and changed the "End game" setting I needed to close out of TF and restart the game before the settings would take effect.  Just a FYI>

Thanks for being honest rtkiii.  I've never actually played this game, so it'll be a new experience for me.  I plan on trying to play it some tomorrow.  Vacation is officially half over and I've done nothing but read about 100 comics (I'm 3 months behind!).  And thanks for the info about needing to restart for the settings to take affect.

• Like 1

Im glad I read the rules first before submitting.  

I also had my first picture worthy run on easy!  

I also will have scores over 100k, but done at an earlier date.

See you tonight on the scoreboards.

MO

Do you get a bonus if you get a world record?  Maybe that is why they have the WR wiped also...I only ask because I was at the hammer and only got like 25k or something...but my cabinet has WRs from ym friends and myself over the past two years..  MO had 60k+ with only two more events that he completed.  If he was at 45k then I would think breaking WRs would not provide any bonus...but given his score I think there is a bonus when breaking WR...can you confirm MO?

I only ask because my "Clear WR on exit" is set to Off...or whatever.

26 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

I've also got legacy scores on my board that used the wrong settings.  My best so far with the settings for this competition is the 4th entry on the list.

Capture.JPG

I will set mine back to EASY when I am done with this comp.  Just because I have so many people come over who rarely play this game and I want them to have fun.  It does not change the speed people create just changes the beginning qualifiers.

• Like 1

Thanks for being honest MO and resetting the dips to match our requirements.  At first, while scrolling through the page, I didn't see your score, so I was almost about to disqualify you.  LOL!  Nice score.  Consider it added!

Thanks Cynicaster for modifying your settings as well.  And it looks like you're our current leader!

1 hour ago, rtkiii said:

Do you get a bonus if you get a world record?

That's an interesting question, and would require some research.  I've never played this game, so I don't know the mechanics of it.  But it seems to me, if you wipe the world records, then every time you go to play it you'll be earning new world records, and be earning a bonus (if it's true).  So I don't think Twin Galaxies would have their rules set in such a manner that you earn a bonus for setting a new world record if they require you to wipe them.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Here's my first submission:

Score: 35,800
Initials: HAN
Stage: Hammer

0000.png

I gotta tell ya, having never played this game before, I was completely lost on the controls.  I saw there were 3 buttons when entering the initials, but my controller wasn't set up the way their panels are, so that was confusing.  Then in the games, I thought I had to rapidly tap the 2 side buttons alternatively like in some other Atari games I've played.  So I had a decent run in the 100m dash, but then kept jumping way early on the Long Jump.  Apparently the button I was using for the other "foot" was the "jump" button.  So I fouled out a lot.  Once I figured out that it was just one button I needed for running, and the other for action, I did much better.  But I never made it past the hammer toss.  I restarted the game (to see what the reset world records dip does) once I figured out how the buttons work.  Apparently, the reset world records changes the records from "NULL" to an actual stat.  Since I'm not good enough to beat any of them, I don't know if it gives you a bonus for beating one or not.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Yeah I was going to say you still have to beat a record if the numbers are reset...so that is why I thought maybe you'd get a bonus for beating.  I will test it out if no one else does and see.  Nice score, Han!

Thanks.  :) Hopefully it's a work in progress.  That hammer throw stage is hard.  You have to be spinning pretty fast to get it far, but too fast and you can't tell when to throw.  I actually fouled out each time.  Javelin is pretty hard too because you don't have much room to run and the foul line creeps up fast on you.

Welcome aboard patrickfx!  We have lots of games to choose from.  Please don't feel limited to just submitting scores on our GOTM.  In fact, we encourage you to try and beat our GOTM champs from previous games.  Don't forget that any scores you submit will earn you points towards the overall leaderboard too.  So even if you don't have a super great score, you'll still have an idea of where you're at and see who you can topple next!  Let me know if you have any questions or issues.  We tried to make this as easy and friendly as possible!

@RedDog - Not bad!  I think we just gotta look past the fact that we have 2 or 3 elitists, and just keep our own smaller scores close to heart.  That's pretty much how I'm looking at it.  There's no way I can catch ExedExes or MO.  So I'm looking more at beating those scores closer to where my level is.  :) But honestly, you're score isn't that bad.  Both of the scores on your ingame list are better than my 1st attempt.  So take to heart knowing that you're already better than me.  I think with practice you'll probably kill my score!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• Like 2