All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] NeoGeo Games not showing up - new neodriv.hxx?

td_slaine

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my "mame-machine" with a new mobo and a new cpu. 

I wanted to get everything fresh from the start but now i ran into a little problem. The NeoGeo Category on the main page is only showing "Action Fighter".

I got the complete 0.177 Romset, I can see all the neogeo games in the full list. I got the latest mame binary and updated to most recent GameEx version. CPS Games are just working fine. The set ran through crtlMame without any errors. I already tried turning off the "verify roms" options - no luck.

I already checked the mame -listinfo > list.xml command - neogeo games are in there...

Could not find a solution on the forums. Anyone else got this Problem or a workaround?

Edit: Found a changes document from another loader - maybe this is the same issue? It states: 

"Oopsie! Neo-Geo games filtering was not showing all games due to new driver name neodriv in MAME v0.174."

The gamelist.txt from the gameex folder do have all the neogeo games listed with the neodriv.hxx driver at the end...

Capture.PNG

I thought I'd just say something, so you know we're not ignoring your issue.

I've never even heard of this issue and never encountered it before, but then I'm still holding out with Mame0.161...lol. If this is an issue with newer Mame versions I'm sure we would all benefit from any solution you may find. So If you do, please come back and let us know what the resolution is. Of course if any of us find it first we'll be happy to post a solution.

My only suggestion is to try a fresh Test mame install and linking GameEx to that. This would at least verify that the problem persists and is not related to a problem with your main Mame install.

I'm interested in your results, I was planning an upgrade of mame myself. Side note, even with 0.161 (full romset) I only see 6 games listed under Neo-Geo. I usually don't have that option enabled, so I never noticed. I did recently turn verify roms on, so that may have reduced the number some.***EDIT: with verify roms off I see 51***

Really the only way to start looking at this is for someone with a Mame .177 romset and Mame to say whether they are getting the same behavior. As this is the latest Mame version, it may take some time before that happens.

I currently have v.161 as well and my Neo-Geo section is properly populated.

I'm in the process of an update. Just used CLRMAMEPRO to scan my progress and it said I'm missing 190 or so sets, but other than that I'm stoked! That's much further than I've gotten before. I must have done something right this time (what that is I don't know). Hopefully, I didn't screw it up...knock on wood. I did backup fist. 

I'll set it up in GameEx and report back if it doesn't populate the Neo-Geo's correctly. Then we at least will know if there is a reproducible problem.

Ok then. I setup Mame 0.177 from the latest binary and updated my ROMset (Stoked about that BTW) and I can verify this problem does indeed reproduce. Besides the mame paths, I did not touch the other settings. So the comparison is 1 to 1. With Mame 0.161 I had 51 Neo-Geo games listed and now there's only one, Action Fighter. The MAME system pack that Tom released did not have this issue either, so whatever version of mame that was works. Somewhere along the mame update chain must have introduced some new "listing?" change that GameEx is not handling (I'm guessing).

I think we should elevate this to Tom's attention.

Via MAME:

Recently the Neo Geo BIOS was updated to add a new version of the Universal BIOS. This was done between 0.171/0.172, and results in an error trying to load Neo Geo games with an un-updated neogeo.zip set.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Adultery said:

Via MAME:

Recently the Neo Geo BIOS was updated to add a new version of the Universal BIOS. This was done between 0.171/0.172, and results in an error trying to load Neo Geo games with an un-updated neogeo.zip set.

I just found this on mamedev.org as well and was going to post about it. Ninja'd

@td_slaine @RIP-Felix It looks like a different version of neogeo.zip also needs to be used with .172 and above. Perhaps one of you two guys should confirm if you have the latest file and revalidate if necessary.

I read that CLRMAMEPRO doesn't update the bios files that come in update packs. So my update must be missing the neogeo.zip updates. In the 0.166-0.167 update pack there was an update to the neogeo bios. I'm looking into updating with Romcenter, which I think does fix bios. May be a few days while I figure this out...and just when I thought I had this rom auditing thing licked, this happens. It's like playing whack-a-mole.

Hi all,

I checked the versions - it stopped working from 0.174 onward (where the neodriv.hxx was introduced).

With the 0.173 mame.exe it lists all the neogeo games in the neogeo frontpage section. I double checked the neogeo.zip file - it is the one from the 0.177 set. So maybe the problem is the changed neogeo driver.

A look inside the gamelist.txt on 0.177 shows, that the neogeo roms are listed with the neodriv.hxx at the end. The gamelist.txt from the 0.173 exe lists them with neogeo_noslot.cpp at the end.

I don´t know where the category file which creates these entries for the gameex menu is located at (if it isn´t hardcoded into the gameex.exe itsellf) maybe a look inside that file could resolve the problem (Do a scan for neodriv.hxx instead of neogeo_noslot.cpp bios for example)

Side-Note: With the 0.173 version, I performed the scan with the 0.173 romset  (still had it on another hdd) - for the 0.174 scan i used the 0.173 romset with the update files for 0.174 - so every "update-list" process was performed on its specific romset.

@td_slaine Thanks for confirming your neogeo.zip version. As long as GameEx has the right files to do it's validation AND the issue is occurring, I think that is enough to ask Tom to take a look.

Would you be so kinda as to edit the first post in this thread and add [Attn: Tom] to the front of the title?

• 2 weeks later...

If you wish to take the time to check, by all means...but most likely the result will be the same.

Also be aware that Tom can be a pretty busy guy at times, but he is darn good about investigating and implementing fixes. Even though he may not have posted here, you can bet that he's taken notice of the thread.   :)

Using baseline MAME and 0.178 games don't show under Neo-Geo games. It instead only shows 1 game named Action Fighter 1986 Sega.

You can however go to By Publisher category and if you enter SNK it shows 230 games. They also all show up in the main listing.

As I mentioned, it's due to the BIOS change. The way we parse MAME to build this list specifically,. And Tom needs to look at the code. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...