All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Change View - Wheel

Gildahl

I'm kind of liking the new wheel, but only for emulators with a relatively short list, like favorites.  Not so much for long lists.  Is there any way to set the view for specific emulators, or is changing the view strictly a global setting?

I must be missing something then.  If I go into an emulator and select Change View, I can change the view to the wheel.  However, now all other emulator views show the wheel too.  If I change one of them back to a list view, all emulators change back to a list view.  In other words, I can't make one emulator use the wheel and the others use a list view.

Perhaps there is another way to change the view besides the Change View option in the front end?  Is there some other means of doing this on an emulator-by-emulator basis?  Maybe in the Setup Wizard or the GameEx.ini file?

It is per emulator as Tom noted. I think at this point we need some more details which your gameex.ini and log.txt files will supply. Can you please attach them in reply?

Also, we will ned to know if you are using Custom Menus in your setup. Thanks!

There may be something to what Gildahl is reporting.

When I first took a look at the wheel view I changed the SNES emulator and I thought it changed them all...but then I started tinkering around some more and found that when I changed the view again, it did not happen globally...so I thought maybe I had a glitch or was seeing things. After getting all my views back to list view. When I tested the wheel view again and it only affected the emulator I wanted, so I assumed that I had a one-off glitch or misunderstood what happened.

This may be something to test on a new or freshly upgraded install.

@RedDog I reread his response and he is saying that the changes are occurring globally when changing one emulator. I am not seeing this in my setup. It is only changing the view on a per emulator basis. I am not running custom menus. He is.

@Gildahl Can you also attach a copy of your custommenu.ini for use in testing?

Ok, here's my CustomMenu.ini.

In regards to RedDog's comment, I should also mention that when I first turned on the wheel, it changed all my other menus to the wheel.  I then went to another emulator (Colecovision in this case) and changed it back to a list view.  This seemed to work as I could exit and enter the emulator and continued to see the list view.  However, as soon as I went back to any menu having the wheel, everything would return to the wheel view.

CustomMenu.ini

Tom, that is what I am leaning towards, hence the request for the custommenu.ini file for someone to test this out. I have not seen any of what Gildahl has witnessed running GameEx with the stock menu structure.

Hi Tom,

This is better, but not quite all the way there.  I tried setting my first custom menu ("Golden Age Arcade") to the wheel and this time it worked.  All other menus retained the list view.  Good.  I then set the next menu, "Arcade Hall of Fame", which is really my Favorites list to wheel.  That worked too without changing any other menus (including the Golden Age Arcade list, which remained set to the wheel).  Great.  However, after setting Laserdisc Arcade to the wheel, I found that the setting does not stick.  If you exit the menu and return, the Laserdisc Arcade menu goes back to a list view.  I also found the same thing with other top level custom menus like Modern Arcade and Early Arcade.  They don't stay set to the wheel, but return to a list view upon exit and re-entry.  On the other hand, so far, all the lists under Video Game Consoles that I've tested so far seem to work.  I can switch them to the wheel and they remain set to the wheel after exit and re-entry.  So this is a great improvement, but something is still off.

One other aside is that the list for Daphne games (in my custom Laserdisc Arcade) never shows Logos even though I have verified the path to them is correct in the setup wizard.  The game names are always shown in ordinary text.   

I just installed the new version (14.57) and behavior is exactly the way it had been previously.  Changing to the wheel affects all emulator views, unlike the exe attached to this thread which was a definite improvement.  I also continue not to see Daphne logos in the new release. 

Did you perform an update install or download and run the setup? If the former, try downloading and running the setup. 

Also, please provide updated copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files for review. Thanks! 

I did the update install.  At your suggestion I just downloaded the full installer and ran that, but the behavior remains unchanged.  Basically, back to square one.  No different than 14.56.  The GameEx.exe attached to this thread works much better.  I've attached my GameEx.ini as requested.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

I have a hunch (admittedly without looking at files) that Gildahl is using MAME to run said categories (systems), of which GameEx treats as one emulator. Hence why one "view" is affecting them all. The reason being (my train of thought) is that Favorites is handled as a separate entity and seems to keep settings, but as soon as any kind of MAME list is changed, they all change.

I'm assuming that 'Golden Age Arcade', 'Arcade Hall of Fame', and 'Laserdisc' are all using MAME?

Test any non-mame setups you have to determine if it is a global thing, we can then rule it out :)

When I change "Golden Age Arcade" to the wheel with this build, every other emulator list changes to the wheel including non-mame consoles.  Everything.  Colecovision, Vectrex, Intellivision, everything.  With the test build in this thread changing Golden Age Arcade to a wheel affects that list and only that list.  Consoles also work on a list by list basis in that build too.  The only problem with the test build is that a few of the menus are not "sticky" and revert to the list view after exiting and reentering.  In fact, the test build here works as a solution for me for the time being since the only menu (at the moment) that I'm enjoying the wheel view with happens to be the "Golden Age Arcade" list.

Sure thing.  Looks like the menus that work in the top level menu are "Golden Age Arcade" (a custom mame list), "Arcade Hall of Fame" (my favorites list), and "Arcade Warehouse" (the main mame list).  All of the other top-level custom menus can be changed, but are not sticky.  These include "Laserdisc Arcade", "Modern Arcade", "Early Arcade", &  "Top Console & Computer Games".  The other menus, "Video Game Consoles", "Classic Computer Games", and "Modern Computer Games" all go to sub-menus of systems.  All of those systems work properly.  So really, the only menus that don't work are these four: "Laserdisc Arcade", "Modern Arcade", "Early Arcade", &  "Top Console & Computer Games".

I have noticed this problem myself. The first time I changed one of my emus to the wheel view it change them all globally. Then I wen back trough them all and changed them back and it stuck. However, I just messed with the change view on the start page after making some adjustments to the layouts in my theme and it changed them all back to the list view that was default. So I changed one back to wheel view, and it did it again globally. I'm going to update to the newest version and see if that helps.

Truth is, It's hard to know what caused the reset in the first place. I know I was working on layouts in my theme, but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet. I'll let you know "if" I run across it again, but I can't predict when that will be. Maybe it's fixed? IDK, A bit of a pain pressing change view a bunch of times for EVERY emulator to get them right, but It seems to stick after the first global change. Hopefully its gone, knock on wood...

PS:

I hate Ninja Gremlins:ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Just a note that this issue is still outstanding.  When I change to the wheel in one emulator list, every emulator list is changed to use the wheel.  The patched GameEx.exe that was attached to this thread mostly fixed this issue for me, but this fix was (apparently) not incorporated into the main releases.  Since the patch doesn't work anymore with the latest versions, it would be great if it could be merged into the current releases as it does work well enough to allow me to use the wheel independently in the one list where I want to use it.

Hi Tom.  Yes.  This one works and allows me to configure lists with the wheel independently.  It does show one oddity in that if I change the favorites list to use the wheel it also changes the main mame list to use the wheel.  It would be nice to be able to configure these independently too, but this isn't actually a problem for me personally because I intend to keep both of those as ordinary lists (I'm only using the wheel on one custom list for now).  Other than that, my limited testing seems to show that this works for everything else.  Thanks!