All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

v14.56 Grid View issues with sizing and incorrect logos

firebrand_X

Hi, The Steam icons in the Grid View are showing up better than before but there appears to be some inconsistency in Last Played and Favorites view? Attached is a screenshot:

The most obvious thing is non-Steam games appearing with the Steam icon  XD
But it also seems to be pulling different Steam game image proportions:  Oniken and Isaac are large and squared where 20XX and Geometry Wars is resized.

Just thought I'd bring it up here since it was mentioned that only the Steam Icons were displaying earlier.
Thanks for the hard work :)

steam-icons.jpg

Hey Firebrand. I tested this on mine and it is working properly (ie without Steam logos).

You may already know this (GameEx Founding Member)   ;) ,  If a matching logo file is not found, GameEx will display the Not Found Snap. If not found, the Title, then the Snap, and finallyGameEx icon is displayed with the title of the game.

Have you tried clearing the cache for SNES and have it GameEx rebuild it on next run?

Actually, no.

First, open the Setup Wizard and go to the Emulator Setup. Find out which emulator number SNES is set up on.

Next, go to your GameEx\DATA directory. In that directory, there are a bunch of files with an extension of .bdcache. Delete the ones that are related to your SNES emulator. For instance, if SNES is emulator #7, delete files that start with EMU_7 and end with .dbcache. For instance:

• EMU_5.dbcache
  • EMU_5.dbcacheini
  • EMU_5_Cat.dbcache
  • EMU_5_Dev.dbcache
  • EMU_5_Ply.dbcache
  • EMU_5_Pub.dbcache
  • EMU_5_YR.dbcache

I am not entirely sure how the Favorites and Last Played data is stored, but I do not believe they have their own cache. When you next run GameEx, it will rebuild the cache for that emulator and hopefully the correct graphics will be displayed.

If the same thing is happening with other emulators and clearing the cache on SNES works, you can safely delete all of the files in the DATA folder that end with .dbcache and let GameEx rebuild all of them.

If it does not work, please post a copy of your GameEx.ini and config.txt for review.

Thanks RedDog.  I deleted the .dbcache files from my installation as well as the cached thumbnails, but no go. I've even restored a default, clean DATA.db3 file and rebuilt a short favorites list and I'm getting the same problems as before.

One thing I did notice is that if you disable Steam in GameEx... the problems magically disappear.  Re-enable it, and they're back to the same.

Also, various game titles seem to have different heights, and different thumbnail image names. Not sure if this matters or not, but it looked odd:

Example:
 - emygamesplaystation2titlesdevilmaycry(usa)False2016942212
 - emygamesplaystation2titlesdevilmaycry(usa)True2016942212

Attached are some screenshots and the gameex.ini file. I couldn't find a config.txt file in my search, so I included the config.ini as well

Thanks for looking into this :)

redo-fav.jpg

no-steam-works.jpg

GameEx.ini

Config.ini

Good catch on the deactivation of the Steam module. I am not sure if it will help, but could you try clearning the cache for the Steam list:
- Delete EMU_1002.dbcacheini from the DATA folder
- Delete gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map from the DATA folder
- Run GameEx and enter the Steam module
- See how GameEx looks
If that does not solve it, one of the more experienced guys may have to chime in. What you are seeing with the Steam icons is not happening to everyone or other people would be reporting it.

With the different size images, it could be a number of things. Images that are wider or taller than the relative space will not be stretched (ie their horizontal and vertical ratio will be retained). Unless they fit exactly, there will be a sort of 'transparent border'. They will fit as best as possible. Also, some images have their own transparencies and so may appear smaller. I see that you have the asset download feature enabled...and while it is really nice that GameEx will automatically fetch missing assets from emumovies, I have found that some of the images are not always consistant as far as their sizes. The result is that you sometimes get those variable sized icons. For instance, if you compare the Contra and Bad Fur Day Title shots in a picture viewer, you will notice that their horizontal/vertical ratio is different...of course, this is if it is working normally.

As for the config.txt file, that was my mistake...sorry...I meant to ask for the log.txt file.   :)

Hmmmm, deleting the EMU_1002.dbcacheini and gameex_[PC] Valve Steam.map files didn't seem to help. I'm still getting the same image errors on the same games in Last Played and Favorites.

Weirder yet is if I add and remove games from the Favorites, the same games have the same missing images (ex: adding/removing a game doesn't cause a random effect to others; Earthbound still has a Steam logo regardless).

Maybe someone else has an idea or two, but thanks for the all the help RedDog :)

• 4 weeks later...

My problem persists with GameEx 14.58, but I've noticed a pattern where every time there's a Steam game in the Favorites or Last Played list, the very next non-steam and non-Mame game has the Steam logo. I was able to replicate the problem by going into the Advanced Emulator Setup page and add a Not Found Snap to another emulator (example NES). The minute I did that, after every NES game, the following Non-NES, Non-Mame game (ex: Sega Genesis or SNES) had the NES Not Found Snap.

Attached is a screenshot of what I'm talking about. You'll notice my cursor is on Alan Wake (Steam) but it's pulling the NES Not Found Snap after Bayou Billy.

Additionally, the original Steam icon I was having problems with has the name "cgameexthemesdefault-defaultmedialogossteamTrue20131012912"
When I disable Steam, the NES issue persists.

So, will disabling "Not Found Snaps" through my whole configuration stop the Favorites and Last Played areas from showing the wrong images, and if so, how do I disable Not Found Snaps for Steam?

Let me know if you need any more information on the matter (log files, config files, etc)

nes-snap-not-found-error.jpg

Sorry for the double-post but I think I see the issue:

So I noticed further down my Favorites list that there was a double-up on the SNES Aladdin title screen applied to the Sega version. (attached) The same exact thing happened in an earlier screenshot with the SNES and PSX versions of Clocktower, with the SNES version having the PSX title screen.

Does this mean that my Favorites and Last Played lists are somehow "looking ahead" within the same emulator/console for a matching game? If it finds a game with the same title, it just reuses the title from the previous console, but if it can't, it falls back on the Not Found Snap? And if there is no Not Found Snap, then it falls back to fetching the right icon?

Bah, so confusing...

looking-for-next-logo-in-same-system.jpg