All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

3D objects

DazzleHP

Since the original teaser vid for Evolution there were snippets of 3D objects being rendered in real-time in the new engine. I'd like to know if this is still on the cards? If so, how is the lighting determined - is it static or defined in the object for example, and also what is considered a reasonable polygon count for real-time rendering?

I apologise if this is the wrong time and place, but i think our future theme builders would be interested in this kind of info :)

I'm somewhat intrigued by how this new feature might be used too. I thought it was incepted as a 3D cabinet like future, allowing 3D consoles, characters and such to be viewed. I'm hoping it will allow the rendering of more interactive menus, transitions, and events. Maybe a mario character that waves his hand to present a video snap. If you stay there without mnoving for a while, he could lay down and sleep like in Super Mario 64. Things like that would defiantly be cool, but I have no idea how that little teaser was intended to be used.

On 05/09/2016 at 2:02 AM, RIP-Felix said:

I thought it was incepted as a 3D cabinet like feature, allowing 3D consoles, characters and such to be viewed. I'm hoping it will allow the rendering of more interactive menus, transitions, and events.

I too am hoping it is more than just a "3D cab" spin off. The glimpse at theme scripting is what piqued my curiosity. Firstly, imagine instead of a static "system image" you have a fully rendered 3D object (a SNES for example) that you can rotate, zoom and pan etc using nothing more than a few buttons on your controller. Also as you mention, which i'm more intersted in, is building a theme from such objects! I'm thinking slide out animated menus, zoom features and much more.

I wouldn't like to put any more pressure on the devs at this point as their task is mammoth as it is, but until we get any kind of confirmation we can dream, right?! :P