All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Zaxxon

hansolo77

September 2016 GOTM Winner: Mame Offender - 134,250 :link:

Zaxxon
Zaxxon Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Mame Offender 134,250 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 85,700 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 Cynicaster 64,050 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
4 hansolo77 15,950 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
5 millerbrad 15,550 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
6 Floyd Turbo 11,400 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
7 rtkiii 8,400 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
8 RedDog 6,450 RedDog's Hi-Score Entry
9 Luigimaker 5,500 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 02-24-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Zaxxon:

ROMSet: Zaxxon
Bonus Life: 10000
Lives: 3
Cabinet: Upright
Special Rules: None

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

This was a close race in the polls.  In fact, we had a 3 way tie up until I checked this morning for the winner, and this was the one!  So thanks to everybody who voted.  And if you voted, you owe it to us to compete too!  Voting is only half the fun!  Happy gaming!

Zaxxon (ザクソン?) is a 1982 isometric shooter arcade game developed and released by Sega. Some sources[13][14][15] claim that Japanese electronics company Ikegami Tsushinki also worked on the development of Zaxxon. The game gives the player the experience of flying a fighter craft through a fortress while shooting at enemy entities (missiles, enemy gunfire, etc.) The object of the game is to hit as many targets as possible without being shot down or running out of fuel—which can be replenished, paradoxically, by blowing up fuel drums.[16]

At the time of its release, Zaxxon was unique as it was the first game to employ axonometric projection, which lent its name to the game (AXXON from AXONometric projection). The type of axonometric projection is isometric projection: this effect simulated three dimensions from a third-person viewpoint. It was also one of the first video games to display shadows, to indicate the ship's altitude above the surface;[17] the game also employed an altitude meter, allowing the player to control how high or low the ship is above the surface.[18] It was also the first arcade game to be advertised on television,[19] with a commercial produced by Paramount Pictures for $150,000.[20]

The world record on Zaxxon is 4,680,740 points scored by Vernon Kalanikaus of Lā'ie, Hawai'i, on March 15, 1982, according to the Twin Galaxies Intergalactic Scoreboard.[21] A bootleg of the game was released in the arcades in 1982 called Jackson.[22]

- Quote from Wikipedia (link)

I used to play this on our Atari 800 back in the good old days.  I remember being pretty good at it.  But that was with a joystick and 1 fire button.  Not sure how well I'll be on the arcade version (and using an Xbox 360 controller).

Oh man. I remember playing the crap out of this game back in the day. It was at the hockey rink where I'd go watch my friends play because my parents wouldn't pay for us to play hockey. I'd live vicariously though them on the ice and play Zaxxon between periods. I might have to jump in on this one.

Hey, it's September.  People will start to get the itch for some classic games.  

Submission of a score is as simple as a photo with initials. 

M0

• Like 1

IMO, the tragedy of Zaxxon is that the only thing separating it from classic arcade greatness is one poorly-executed space battle sequence.

The game could have been a masterpiece, if it weren't for the pretty much unplayable deep space section.  I've spent a few hours over the years playing this game for online competitions and such, and I've got a pretty good handle on managing the controls in the axonometric view when flying over the bases, but when it comes to the deep space sequence, I STILL have no feel whatsoever for my altitude and position relative to the enemies and thus no way to target or avoid them with any kind of purpose.

After all the times I've played Zaxxon, my strategy in that screen is essentially the same as it was the first time I played it; i.e., to move the joystick around constantly, mash the fire button, and hope for the best.   In other words, my survival pretty much comes down to chance; I may gradually improve my skills at navigating the bases, but then the space screen comes up, at which point I might as well put on a blindfold and let the game rob me of my lives, because that's what's going to happen anyway.

zaxx.JPG

Agreed on the Space topic.  I also have no grasp on what to do while in space.  

My first game, won't be the last.  It is clear to see that I am not very good at Zaxxon.  I won't give up, though.

- (an embarrassing) 5,850 (measly points)

1473703521379975872487.jpg

On 9/4/2016 at 11:22 AM, DazzleHP said:

I hated this! I could never get used to the UP/DOWN movement in isometric view :o Yet i'm pretty good at most flight simulators. It's just that view! It messes with my spacial senses heheh

Any good at Q-Bert?

Well, I almost didn't want to post my very sad score...but it will probably make Han feel like he has some skills.  :D

That's right...6,450!

2016-09-15 23_02_02-MAME_ Zaxxon (set 1) [zaxxon]b.png

You know...I played Zazzon every so often and remember it being pretty fun...I just don't remember these older games being as challenging as they feel today. I am pretty sure it isn't me...  ;)

• Like 1

It's just our age getting in the way.  I didn't want to believe it when Dad would tell me the same thing when I tried to get him to play games with me and my brother as kids.  He was all "I'm too old to play those games, they're too complicated and fast".  Now 30 years later, we're suffering from the same issues.

As for your score.. don't feel bad about it at all.  I haven't even posted up a score yet, so you're already doing better than me.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS