All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Good day guuys!

Pleasure to see you all again.  I hope some of you guys liked or in some cases mind me making a video helping new people joining the fold around here.  Many un-answered questions from users who was interested but daunted on how to get themselves setup with a bit of GameEx goodness.  I hope this video helped out those put of by switching or starting a front end :D

Now I know this was basic, maybe not as fluent in the actual setup as some of you pros, but I hope it got many new users on board to join this great Front End.  So thank you guys for making this place just as good as the FE it supports!

Well now we need to take it to the next stage.  I have shown people how to get it setup and get them on the merry road.  But now what I need to do is show them what can be done.  Show them what a completed GameEx setup can do.  Show them how you guys and how they can make it their own.  So no better way of doing that than seeing what you guys have come up with.  that way it encourages others to push what can be done and maybe bring some new ideas.

So if you could help out that will be great.  I will be modifying my setup to give it a bit of WOW factor and showcasing it in a vid to show how and what can be done now that you are setup.  But i would be great if I can showcase some of your setups too so people can see even more ideas, possibilities and of course just show off your work.

If you got any nice builds, custom themes, ideas, remakes or anything that can help out that would be great!  I will help out in any way I can to help you do this as I know you all may not have any means to record themes etc.  PLEASE can share files, pictures, videos or anything it would be a massive help for me and an even bigger help for the community!

Then.... well we are getting stuck into Evolution!

• Like 8

Thanks for posting this, as always, fantastic work on the video!  

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of moving this into the GameEx General forum.  I believe it will encourage other members to engage in conversation as well as showcasing their builds, exchanging ideas, and also provide a good environment for Q & A.  

Anybody trying to setup GamEx for the first time will absolutely benefit from this, and so if any of you reading this fall into that category, please show SIMPLY_AUSTIN some courtesy by mousing up that that "like" button and giving him some much deserved kudos for his effort!  :)

Thanks Austin for that wonderful review! 

There are quite a few user created themes that are top notch. If you want to showcase a home theater style theme, check out my Smoked Glass theme. 

Keep up the good work and thanks for contributing to GameEx and the emulation experience! 

Loved the video, great work! You can also ask me if you have any plugin questions. My more popular ones integrate Xpadder and Virtual Drives, and there's one for two monitor setups. Pretty much endless possibilities for customization if you have a little coding ability.

Welcome to the forums Simply Austin!

I just want to say I'm a big fan of your YouTube channel so keep up the great work!

9 hours ago, SIMPLY_AUSTIN said:

Then.... well we are getting stuck into Evolution!

I'm looking forward to it! :)

PS As the developer of Evo we should probably get in contact at some point before then.

48 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Um, I think it's a little crazy...

I like some of the ideas you put in your theme. With the proper videos/logos/title screens, I thinkit looks pretty darn nice.

Thanks, RedDog. The theme is Pure GameEx by vsilvaslopes. All of the media came via EmuMovies. It took some futzing around to finally find a layout that I liked.

GameBoy.pngGameBoy Color.pnggenesis.pngMAME.pnga26.pngSega Dreamcast.pngSNES.pngNES.pngPS1.pngPS2.pngArcade 2.JPGKeyboard drawer.JPGLCD Mount.JPGCabintet.JPG1941.JPGBubble Bobble.JPG

I built this cab a while ago and put the finishing touches on the theme a couple summers back. The theme is a port of @Krakerman's GameRoomEx (inspiration goes to him). I used a vertically mounted LCD to maximize play area for vertical scrolling shooters like 1941, but it also allows you to not sacrifice play area for 4:3 aspect games. Instead you get black space above and below the playfield for artwork and custom bezels (which is a lot of work, but worth it IMO). The other advantage to a vertscreen is that you can run it like a Pincab.

You can read the official release thread here, which includes links to the DL page and installation instructions.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just if anyone's looking to make a vid of their GameEx setup, some reccomendaiton for software after what's felt like a while stumbling around in the dark:

Screen Recorder: OBS Studio
Free, Open Source, Longstanding and best I've used - even on low spec machine like my test/dev PC you can get 1080p @ 30fps. Also has great features like multi-monitor + window capture all integrating onto a single output. You can also set up a live-stream for UBend and Twatch etc. 

Video Editor: DeVinci Resolve
Free + Longstanding. Beats other freebies in terms of features + you can output @ 1080. Don't ask me how to use it though - haven't got that far yet, but gets good reports. 

Live Audio Mixing: Voicemeeter Banana
Great to mix mics, your desktop and any audio sources. For example you can route mediaplayer, mics and destop into it and then output to OBS Studio - controlling the levels as you record. Easy to set up with OBS. 

I'd be keen to see what everyone else is running + support @SIMPLY_AUSTIN with his awesome weekly contributions. 

• 6 months later...

Not sure if I've shared my build here yet, despite finishing it about 2 years ago... GameEx with GameExtender on a second display between the main monitor & the control panel. In-game, the second display shows PNGs of the button assignments generated with CPWizard. I can also swap out the control panel with a flat panel and play mouse & keyboard games.

I also did a custom theme which you can see in this quick, extremely low-fi video I made of the cab in action: 

Since making the video, I've installed RocketLauncher alongside GameEx for it's MAME bezels (and the ability to send screenshots to my network with fancy HLSL effects in place, which I use for the GameEx High Score Competition).

IMG_20170707_212941.thumb.jpg.60f2fb6cdbdd7e937c375fd82faf25b8.jpg

IMG_20161106_171646.thumb.jpg.90b1eabd988f57ca9b2cdbf714fe8c87.jpg

• Like 2

How much for and where did you get that mini screen? I have a web cam in the exact same spot and don't use it at all, that would be a nice upgrade if it's not too expensive.