All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx VS GameEx Evolution

Alan Ribas

I took a little look about GameEx evolution, but still can not understand what your proposal? Watch the video promoting GameEx evolution really noticed some things in it that does not exist in the normal GameEx. What I could not understand was why create a new version rather than simply updating the old GameEx? Why create this new GameEx? There will be things that GameEx evolution will be able to do the old GameEx will not be? Or vice versa? Why create this new GameEx not simply add their resources in the old GameEx? This would not be possible?

Ps. I do not want to create personal polemics. They are sincere doubts I have and would like to hear the answer. Thank you very much.:D

GameEx Evolution is a scratch written FE (and back-end). It made sense for us to go this route and gives us the advantage of being able to re-design things with a 20/20 hindsight and a team consisting of many years of experience in the FE writing and emulation scene. This is not just a cosmetic update but a total re-write and our aim is to make it the most comprehensive FE around that's easy to set up and with few to no extra 3rd party tools or utilities required. The result is what we believe is the best FE out there.

At the moment we're just getting the most important features in place and then we will be adding all the features from GameEx that we think you guys love.

Finally GameEx Online is going to be more closely integrated so you will see some fantastic online features coming in the near future also. It's certainly a bright future for GameEx users! :)

• Like 2

There will almost certainly come a time when the proverbial torch will be passed to EVO and GameEx will become a legacy product; just as there is with any software, but Tom hasn't announced any sort of timeline.  As the Dev Team continues to roll-out future releases of EVO, more and more of the features the community has become accustomed to in GameEx will be present in EVO, so when that times there really would be little reason not to have migrated to EVO anyway.

Your just getting a peak of what's to come with the alpha, so there is no reason to panic. It should be the same type of feature packed product, just running on a more modern engine.

Tom (and team) are certainly still doing updates. If you go back through the fourm, you will see that they do come out periodically. They usually quash bugs reasonable quickly when they are found, especially if they affect a fair number of users...and that is exactly what you want in a developer.

GameEx is pretty feature packed as it is, so many of the updates are fixes to small or unexpected issues. There have also been some additional minor features added even recently. I would not expect any major overhauls or big new features to GameEx, since I would think that big 'stuff' would be reserved for Evolution...but Tom is a surprising dude sometimes...so you never know with that guy.  ;)

I would like to add that the forums have a good following of creative, helpful, and respectful people. So finding answers to your questions or someone willing to help troubleshoot a problem is not a painful process. Noob question? Not a problem, we welcome newcomers!

I suggest trying GameEx first. This is to become familiar with the setup process. The process will be very similar in Evolution. Then Feel free to try the GameEx Evolution Alpha to get an Idea of what's to come. Right now only Mame is enabled in the Alpha, so you can imagine how the rest of the systems and emulators would fit into context.