All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Things to consider when buying new lcd play field screen

aldub516

Hello. Im finally taking steps to finish up my pincab. Im in the market for a new 32" lcd screen for the playfield. Im trying to keep the price as low as possible, but without truly giving up performance. I dont need a 4k super monster tv, but i do want great visuals and something i can enjoy for the work im putting into the machine. How do most power their screen to turn on automatically? Should auto-power up be a feature i should look for? I did my research on input lag and response time, so i can check those specs.. Is decasing or the frame an issue or something to consider?  i was just wondering What are the main quirks to consider when buying a new monitor. I need a roughly 28" backglass as well but i dont think i need anything special for that.

My VPCab came with a smart power supply that automatically cuts power to the TV when the PC's power supply goes off.   The Toshiba TV had a setting to turn back on after a power failure. 

A PC monitor will typically go into standby mode when the computer shuts off, so it's less of a concern if you go that route.  

If I remember correctly a lot of people use Samsung 42" (or 40" I can't remember exactly) TVs with good success. Most people decased them. Check the VP forums for build ideas. I have a cheapie Westinghouse 40" that I use for GameEx and PinballX (desktop mode). It looks great, but gives off a humming noise when VP9 or VPX goes over 200 FPS. I ended up turning VSync on and the humming stopped. I have a 24" AOC LCD monitor that I'm using as a second display for marquees with GameEx and backglass for PinballX that's been working great.

I know that isn't exactly what you plan on doing, but the takeaway here, I think, is that you can go cheap on the backglass, but not necessarily on the playfield.

Got ya, and any input is valuable to me! Im stuck at 32" as my cab is a smaller design. I was just looking into small details i may over look like " MAKE SURE THE TV HAS THIS FEATURE OR IT WILL BE A PAIN IN THE ASS TO TURN ON" etc.... just doing my field research :)

• Like 1

Only advice I can offer is get 1080p. I saw a Samsung - 32" Class (31-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV - Black at Best Buy for $199.00. Thin bezel. May or may not have to de-case.

We have 2 Samsung's and LOVE the picture quality.

Be very careful decase'ing any recent model TV.  

If you read around on the other VP forums you'll notice a trend with newer models, in which the case actually acts to sandwich the layers of the LCD together.  Trying to remove it has resulted in completely ruining the TV for some.  I'm sure this is part of the development cycle with these, as they become cheaper and cheaper something as to go, and it seems the good ole trusty metal frame most, if not all previously where encased in, has gone away in favor of cheaper manufacturing methods.

I'm also reading that many of the smaller Sammy's aren't really Samsung's anymore.  Not sure personally, but I read many indications that they are manufactured by the same group that does Insignia, etc. for BestBuy.

Hard to believe a 40-42 inch TV is considered small by today's standards!  Where does a 32 land:o

I've been looking at this size for a backglass, this model seems to get high marks!

That is good info on decasing. It's all about DFM - Design for manufacturability nowadays. Make it cheaper to build!

I'm guessing there are only a few companies that actually make the panels that every brand uses.

To add to what others have said re "power on" and 'thin bezel' to avoid de-casing issues, I think it's important to consider viewing angle. Generally when we purchase a TV we stand in front of them in the store. Of course this is not the position that we view the screen from when in a cab, so stand well to the side and make sure that the image holds up. Some TVs will lose contrast and look quite dull & boring when viewed from such angles.  These should be avoided.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2016 at 3:18 AM, tthurman said:

I'm also reading that many of the smaller Sammy's aren't really Samsung's anymore.  Not sure personally, but I read many indications that they are manufactured by the same group that does Insignia, etc. for BestBuy.

I believe this to be true for all brands, but for screens smaller than their 40's

I find the reviews and community input at rtings helpful id determining this.  Unfortunately it many times eliminates most of the budget options......but it's better than screen lag and poor color right?  I'm still shopping for that elusive "best" play-field screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought a 32 inches tv for mine, the cheapest and I mean cheapest possible, "Philips don't even know the model". I am glad with it. No noticeable input lag and good view angle. Colors I would say they are poor, but contrast is good and looks fluid at 60hz. When lights start to shine in the tables, you forget about anything else.

With this I mean that you should be ok with any TV above 200$ price and a good brand. If I was to buy another again, I would look for more Hz (real ones) and better picture quality in general. I plan to install it with the case. Maybe I would go for a Samsumg.

Good luck

The hell, I forgot I did a video recently

Take a look

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qss5z_prueba_webcam