All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Up to date suggestions for pc build for pinball x?

aldub516

So i finally got the gtx 1060 in. I installed it in the pc, but cannot seem to get 3 screens to work, much like my gtx 750 ti. It recognizes all 3, but the 3rd monitor never gets a signal.
Currently on the 1060 i have the following hookup:

main playfield- straight dvi-d to dvi-d port
backglass-vga to hdmi going into hdmi port
dmd screen- well here i tried a few things. the monitor is vga, so i tried vga to display port, and that recognizes but wont ever show anything on the screen. I ended up running the dmd thru the hdmi on board.. but i didnt wanna pay $300 bucks for a video card to use on board. I played with the multiple monitors section in the nvidia settings.. and im pretty sure surround span isnt what i want. So why cant i ever get 3 monitors on either my 750 ti or 1060? it never mattered to me on my work pc with the 750 ti using onboard for my 2nd vga.. But if it does the job, why not use it right? Perhaps the video cards can only do certain outputs when doing 3 monitors? i have vga to hdmi converers, vga to display ports, vga to dvi.. whatever i need . just why cant i get 3 screens?

Not knowing what monitors and their inputs makes it hard to determine what is going on. I believe Windows 10 offers better multI monitor support, but in this case I suspect it is the monitors holding things back. 

i cant tell you brand of tvs per say.. but the inputs i can

playfield lcd i BELIEVE was an actual ultapin monitor. non the less, it has vga and dvi-d out. This goes directly to the dvi-d port on the 1060
the backglass is a 28 flat screen with vga out, maybe dvi as well.. This is connected vga to hdmi converter to the 1060
3rd monitor for now is just some random lcd monitor laying around the shop with vga out.. This ive tried both via vga to display port, and vga to hdmi.but ive tried with a few different monitors and get no 3rd monitor signal. I can recognize 3, but the 3rd always stays idle. Running the 3rd monitor through onboard works fine. Pinballx throws the dmd right on that screen and im good.. But this is two video cards with 3 monitors capability and i cant seem to get 3 screens to just all show desktops.. Also, my working pc i use is windows 10 and still cant get it. The pincab runs windows 7, but obviously i cant get it on 10 as it is. Just wondering if there is some like maybe little setting in some config to turn it on? or as i said, are there certain limitations to which outputs can be used for 3 monitors at once.

a side related topic. Now that i do have the gtx 1060 card http://www.microcenter.com/product/467456/GeForce_GTX_1060_Gaming_X_6GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

What should i go ahead and tweak to actually make use of it? My initial reaction after replacing the gtx 750 ti was.. "hmm.. was that even worth the money?". But i know there has to be some noticeable tweaking i can do now. I included my full build a few posts up..So with the i5 6600k processor, and a gtx 1060, what should i pump up to make things look as good as they can? Currently im trying to figure out how to full hide the desktop during loading screens. but thats another mission. Thank you SO much for all the help thus far

6 hours ago, aldub516 said:

a side related topic. Now that i do have the gtx 1060 card http://www.microcenter.com/product/467456/GeForce_GTX_1060_Gaming_X_6GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

What should i go ahead and tweak to actually make use of it? My initial reaction after replacing the gtx 750 ti was.. "hmm.. was that even worth the money?". But i know there has to be some noticeable tweaking i can do now. I included my full build a few posts up..So with the i5 6600k processor, and a gtx 1060, what should i pump up to make things look as good as they can? Currently im trying to figure out how to full hide the desktop during loading screens. but thats another mission. Thank you SO much for all the help thus far

With your rig, you can probably set everything to the highest settings, or close to, and call it good. I'm not home right now, so I can't tell you exactly what all the settings are (AA filtering and whatnot). 

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

https://www.immersaview.com/resources/nvidia-surround-set-up/

See if this helps. I believe you have to set 3D surround in the NVidia Control Panel

In the control panel settings I also set the frame buffer to 1 for all my pinball games. Other settings you have to play with.

I think that the issue is using passive VGA adapters. if you "google" GTX 1060 and VGA as your search terms, you will probably come up with more articles than you care to read about others having similar issues passing a signal from this card (and even earlier ones) with a VGA adapter. A passive adapter is not going to convert the digital signal to analog which is what your monitors appear to need. You would need to purchase a cable specific to the digital output on the GPU and the analog (VGA) input on the monitor(s). Most GPUs with VGA specific support only provided 2 displays max.

You would probably have better luck with HDMI out to DVI-D in or even DisplayPort to DVI-D if your monitors support DVI inputs. You will ned to know the difference between DVi-D and DVI-I. An explanation with pics can be found here. My guess is that the GTX-1060 only has DVI-D which is digital signal only, while DVI-D supports both digital and analog signals.

On 8/29/2016 at 2:09 PM, aldub516 said:

yea i dont even know where to begin with what to turn up to get the most of the card.. and still need to figure out the 3 monitors

I am by no means any kind of expert, but graphic settings are graphic settings by and large.

For VP9, in the Video Options, tick "Enable Quality FXAA" under Video Mode, in Ball Renderings tick all of the boxes. Tick the box for "Force Anisotropic Texture Filtering (quality). Tick "Unlimited" for Max Texture Dimension. Finally move the slider all the way to the right for "Alpha Ramp Accuracy (decrease=performance).

For VPX, in the video options, set FXAA (post-processed Anti-Aliasing) to Quality. Tick the boxes for "Reflect Ball on Playfield" and "Ball Trails/Motion Blur". Enable Ambient Occlusion and Update in-game (quality). In Performance and Troubleshooting tick the box for "Force Anisotropic Texture Filtering". Tick "Unlimited" for Max Texture Dimension. Finally move the slider all the way to the right for "Elements Detail Level (decrease=performance)"

That should get you where you want to be quality wise. I hope you're able to fix your monitor problem. Draco is on to something in his last post.

yea i actually came across some articles about passive and non passive vga converters. Perhaps thats my issue. For now i still have monitor 3 running off onboard hdmi which is actually fine i guess. but like i said, for 300 bucks i was hoping to use all three through the gpu

ALSO.. I DID get ripped on that ebay gtx1060! seller ended up not responding. i then noticed his 100 feedback was only as a buyer and from months ago. then i check paypal and see unverified non-us user.. LUCKILY paypal got me my money back pretty damn fast

Glad you got your money back. The GTX 750ti should work fine and with 3 monitors. You may want to consider purchasing two monitors with digital inputs to replace the two with VGA only.

Or, if you have 2 working straight off the GPU, look into puchasing a USB mini monitor for your DMD. My VirtuaPin Mini uses one for the DMD and works fine with it.

• 1 month later...

Installed GTX1060 3 gig (wish it was 6 but it's not) in my Alienware graphics amp. Driving 3 external monitors and laptop display is running off HD 5000 internal GPU

40" Haier HDMI -> VGA using active adapter - Insignia from Bestbuy (gaming mode for this TV is VGA out - zero flipper lag)

27" AOC DVI-D -> DVI-D

28" I-INC Displayport -> DVI-D with cable adapter (wonder if the wife will notice her external laptop monitor is missing?)

Cab will have a DMD but testing now with 3 monitors.

Now, I have to setup PinballX - hope to have time this evening.

Almost forgot: Windows 10 with anniversary update installed