All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Up to date suggestions for pc build for pinball x?

aldub516

Quick question. No one mentioned my power supply being under powered with the 500 bronze evga. The person at microcenter scoffed at using that with the gtx 1060.. Which may be correct. What is the minimum but proper psu I can get away with on the above build

Purchased everything today. Made a few changes to ram and such as per price finds but it's mostly the same. Came to about $500 without the gpu. They had 2 different gtx 1060s and one was 10 dollars more but had much better specs. So now I'm on a Hangup about the gpu. I'm gonna look for one online but wish I could just buy local

Seems like the gtx 1060 is sold out over over priced a lot of places. Microcenter had 2 different ones for 279$. But sold out now. Hopefully some more come in :/ is there any suggestions I can use for another video card? Clearly I'm about to spend about 270 or so. Should I hold out and find a 1060?

I actually have two decent video cards from my last build. Thinking that maybe one of them can run the dmd?'and get a Cheaper but strong video card for the two screens? Not home now but I'll post what they are when I get back. Otherwise might just swing for one of those 1060s

Just get one card to run three screens. There is no performance benefit in putting in two cards. If one of those cards is decent enough and fits your mb, you may not need a new card right away. I run a GTX 660. It's over three years old now and everything still runs well with it. It's just pinball. Not nearly as graphically demanding as some of these other gaming genres out there. 

The 1060 has been RED HOT since launch and is selling above it's MSRP. It is probably the best sub $300 card right now. Have you looked at equivalent Radeon's? I've used them in past years with AMD systems and have they always worked fine.

Perhaps just go with the two cards you have now and wait a few months for stock levels to come back and prices to stabilize? IIRC, the 1060 has 1 HDMI, 1 DMI and one DisplayPort so you would may need adapters? I use a DVI to HDMI adapter for one of my 27" monitors and it works great.

Damnit. Throws a wrench in my whole deal. I need to finish this build asap as I'm leaving town for a while. I really wish I could grab something from my local micro center. Hmm. Considering my prise is now around $275 I think I should have options but it appears the 1060 is my best bet by far. 

From what I see on the one I wanna buy there is 1 hdmi, 1 dvi-d and 3 display ports. Will that be ok? I don't mind getting adapters or whatever just wanna make sure those are ok. Not sure what display ports are primarily for. I see different 1060's have different ports. Found this one http://www.microcenter.com/product/467456/GeForce_GTX_1060_Gaming_X_6GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

for 220 new on eBay! Should I just grab it and figure out my ports and adapters after at that price?

ok so i got one off of ebay.. price is certainly lower than all the others.. but seller has 100% feedback and is located 2 hours away from me... so with that being said, why do you suggest i be hesitant on ebay.. i literally just paid for it :( Im hoping this doesnt turn into a nightmare.. this is the one i purchased

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252510165724

Can't see the link (from work) but if you trust the seller, then go for it. Have seen the latest iPhones sold and turn out to be a weighted box and no phone. Buyer be ware and all that.

ahhh.. got ya.. well, the only thing i can go off of is the feedback and thats about it. :(

as we speak, im going to put together the new pc and drop my 750 ti in it just for now to test it out.

Hoping i dont get duped out of this auction :\

while im at it.. ive read numerous people suggest a 750 ti.. while the 1060 blasts it out of the water especially for that price, whats your general opinion on the 750 ti 2g running this? Still gunning for the 1060, but im anticipating a small surprise and seeing the 750 do the job... lets see..

and while im at it, and dont want to make multiple threads.. i have access to windows 7 64 bit for free.. I used to have a hookup for 10 dollar windows 10 licenses, but dont know if thats still available.. am i losing any real advantage if i just go with windows 7? 

and this about sums up my post :)

If you have Windows 10, I say go for it as I have been running it for a while with not as many issues as with 7.

My GPU is a 660 with 2GB and so far handles everything on 3 displays fairly well. A 750ti should be just fine, but if you can get a deal on the 1060, I would go for it, evendors if you have to wait a short bit. 

So you pulled the trigger on the 1060. Cool! The Ebay purchase should be fine. I've bought an inordinate amount of guitars and pedals through it for many years without any problems.

VirtuaPin uses a GTX 750 Ti. I may get one and put it in my resurrected Gateway i5 for my cab once I do the necessary surgery on it.

4 hours ago, aldub516 said:

and while im at it, and dont want to make multiple threads.. i have access to windows 7 64 bit for free.. I used to have a hookup for 10 dollar windows 10 licenses, but dont know if thats still available.. am i losing any real advantage if i just go with windows 7? 

and this about sums up my post :)

Win10 for 10 bucks? All of our computers at home are running 10 with the exception of one that we're using for Windows Media Center. It's a really good OS...and you'll have DirectX 12 support with it should you need it in the future.

i USED to have that hookup lol. still waiting for a response. It was actually free, i just threw him 10 bucks for the key.. he had a stack of keys from work or something. As of now im running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit... if i get my hands on 10, ill upgrade

and yes i pulled the trigger on the 1060, but im about to test the 750ti right now.. other wise the build went together nicely, and ill update the exact build soon for future readers to follow up on.

small issue im having is getting 3 screens working with the 750ti..

On my PERSONAL pc, these are all my available outputs:

on board-- hdmi, dvi

gpu- 2x hdmi, 1 dvi, 1 dvid

I have my playfield running through one hdmi, then my backglass running thru a vga to hdmi converter which also works.. But i cannot seem to get a 3rd working.. Also ive noticed, on my current work pc, im using the gpu for my main monitor, but on board vga for my second monitor. It seems that i cannot get the dvi ports to work?  Im running to microcenter and ill be back to explain better.. but for now, are there any particular tricks to getting the 750 ti to display 3 screens? Any reason why it cant do 2 hdmis and a dvi?

**EDIT**
so currently using my 750 ti, i have main monitor running straight through hdmi. Backglass monitor is running vga to hdmi converter, into a hdmi port. so thats 2 monitors, 2 hdmi ports. Both work. The 3rd is running through a dvi-dvi-d converter into the gpu. I figured maybe id try converting it since the dvi port wont get 3 screens either. nvidia control panel shows all 3 screens. but i cant get any type of signal sent to the 3rd screen. The led on the 3rd monitor is orange/off. any ideas? 

**double edit*
my last effort was using a 2nd vga to hdmi converter, and plugging my 3rd monitor into the on board hdmi port, and it works. I get 3 screens showing up, but having trouble getting the backglass to show up. but non the less, if screen 3 runs through on board video i can get all 3 screens working. But why cant i get 3 working with the gpu? Its a gigabyte 750 ti windforce

My resolution for now is to use 2 hdmis on my 750 ti, and the hdmi on board for the 3rd/dmd. Until i get the 1060 in the mail, this setup is actually working pretty nicely. Now i need to figure out a easy way to set the dmd to resize and appear on the 3rd screen. I dont seem to have luck in having pinballx do that. If i drag and move the dmd over, it stays there the next time i boot a table, but there has to be an automated way to move all the vpinmame dmds to the screen.. thats a different battle. This is for the most part, resolved.. For future readers, this is my current build, and its running pinballx with visual pin, FX2, pinball arcade and future pinball, with table videos, backglass videos, and dmd videos on 3 screens. So far its performing well.

gigabyte z170x-gaming 5 motherboard
corsair cx750m psu
16 gb dd4 2400 ram
i5 6600k cpu
Kingston 250gb ssd
gigabyte 750 ti windforce gpu until the new video card arrives.