All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Tokio / Scramble Formation

Tokio / Scramble Formation
Tokio / Scramble Formation Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Mame Offender 379,700 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 340,200 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 GimmeClassics 185,900 GimmeClassics's Hi-Score Entry
4 rtkiii 161,600 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
5 Luigimaker 129,000 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
6 Floyd Turbo 124,700
7 millerbrad 88,200 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 07-30-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Tokio / Scramble Formation:

ROMSet: TokioB
Cabinet: Upright
Flip screen: Off
Service Mode: Off
Enemies: Many [Hard]
Enemy shots: Few [Easy]
Bonus Life: 100K 400K
Lives: 3
Unused: Off
Language: English
Special Rules: The main ROMSet is still not functional as of Wolfmame 0.106

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

This game was selected to be the bonus game because it's one of ExedExes favorites.  We like to reward our GOTM winners with the option to provide a game they like to be added to our competition.  So enjoy this crazy fun shooter from Taito!

PLEASE NOTE - The original ROM (tokio) is unplayable due to the protection not being broken.  To that end, a bootleg version (tokiob) is the ROM we will be playing with.  In order to play this game though, you need to have both the Parent and the Clone for it work.  Thanks!

Scramble Formation (スクランブル・フォーメーション Sukuranburu Fōmēshon?) is a vertical scrolling shooter game released by Taito in Japanese arcades in 1986.[1] It was released by Romstar in North American arcades under the name Tokio.

In the game, the player controls a red propeller-driven airplane, flying over the city of Tokyo.[2] He's able to shoot and capture other red, smaller planes, which then will follow the player in formation. The player can choose between 3 formations: the first is able to shoot both air-to-air and air-to-ground projectiles, the second only air-to-air (but on a larger area), the third only air-to-ground (but on a larger area as well). During gameplay, the player should react accordingly to the threats and quickly decide which one of the 3 formation types is more adequate at one given moment.

The game is divided in areas, depicting key places in Tokyo, such as Shinjuku, Akasaka, and Ginza. There are no clearly defined "levels", but at some points the player is faced by a giant mothership, which can be shot down by hitting its engines.

-Quote from Wikipedia (link)

• Like 1

A fine choice if I do say so myself! Well, because I picked it myself. :lol:

In addition to playing this in the 80s, this is also available on the first Taito Legends collection, where I got to be a little better at it.

As soon as I sent off the pick, I played. Take note, there are no initials here. You'll have to get your screenshot at the Game Over screen.

This score as of right now, is my personal best. That says something!

ExedExes - 307,800

0000.png

• Like 1

I will have to give it a few tries to beat over 300k.  

I noticed that if you destroy 4 or more ground targets they give you large rewards.  Get 4 at once and you get 8000, get 5 and get 16000.  6 would be awfully tough to achieve, but not impossible I bet.  

I didn't care for this one initially.  But man has it grown on me.  It has that Terra Cresta feel to it.  

How do you get atop of a raised Roof?  

Ans: You build one above it.  

Construction of new high roof complete.

---379,700---

PS.  I smell a fierce battle tween my Ol nemesis and I......

1470656322340-1030660939.jpg

1470656460927-57213009.jpg

On 8/7/2016 at 11:13 PM, ExedExes said:

Out of my shmup attempts tonight, playing 1941 here (NO IMPROVEMENT, NO WORRIES) and Progear elsewhere, I thought to return to this so I could RAISE THE ROOF!

ExedExes - 340,200

I think the roof is pretty high already.  Gotta keep your place in check though!

On 8/8/2016 at 7:42 AM, Mame Offender said:

How do you get atop of a raised Roof?  

Ans: You build one above it.  

Construction of new high roof complete.

---379,700---

PS.  I smell a fierce battle tween my Ol nemesis and I......

I smell it too.. I was beginning to wonder what that smell was.  :)

On 8/8/2016 at 9:49 AM, rtkiii said:

Never heard of this...I'll get this added to my cabinet and give it a try.  Thanks EE!

I've never heard of 99% of these games.  That why I like this competition.  Fresh new games all the time that have lots of good history with them.

Thanks for the updated scores guys!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• 10 months later...

88,200. If there's a scoreboard where you enter initials on this game, I'm not sure I'll hit it anytime soon. Luckily, since only the two schmuppernauts have played so far, I can get 80pts by simply farting in the general direction of my MAME cab with this game loaded.

The ground targets in this game are mean as hell. Actually, all the enemies are. Seems like most schmup enemies are somewhat less likely to shoot at you when you get really close. These ones seem to go out of their way to shoot when you're too close to dodge.

20170712175608.jpg

Previous score posters didn't have a screenshot of an initials screen, so I'll take what I can get.  Typically we require such a case to have the high score match the achieved score.  But since your score is less than that, you're only hurting yourself if you're cheating (which I fully believe you are hahah j/k).

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...