All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

1941 Counter Attack

August 2016 GOTM Winner - Mame Offender - 850,600 (link)

1941 Counter Attack
1941 Counter Attack Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Mame Offender 2,522,600 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 797,000 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 millerbrad 533,400 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
4 Cynicaster 442,000 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
5 Floyd Turbo 411,100 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
6 RedDog 368,400 RedDog's Hi-Score Entry
7 Luigimaker 269,900 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 01-25-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for 1941 Counter Attack:

ROMSet: 1941
Difficulty: 3 or 4 [Normal] - (GAMEEX NOTE - This is dependent on your ROM set version.  < 0.149 and it's 4.  > 0.149 and it's 3.  (details))
Level Up Timer: Slowly
Bullet speed: Fast
Initial vitality: 3 Bars
Throttle game speed: On
Unused: Off [All]
Free Play: Off
Freeze: Off
Flip screen: Off
Allow Continue: No
Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! Continues are NOT allowed!

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

Thanks to our voters, this game has been selected as our August 2016 GOTM!  For a bit of stat record keeping, we had 8 voters this month, and this game won with 4 of them.  Thanks everybody who participated!

1941: Counter Attack is a vertical scrolling shooter arcade game by Capcom, released in February 1990. It was the second sequel to 1942, and the third game in the 19XX series. Later it was released on Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for the PSP and Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox. It was followed to 19XX: The War Against Destiny in 1996.

The goal is to shoot down enemy airplanes and collect weapon power-ups (POW). The game uses a vitality system instead of life system in which if the player is hit, it loses one point of vitality and the player is destroyed if hit with 0 vitality then the player is given the option to continue. Lightning attacks can be used by pressing the B button which sacrifices a portion of life energy. One is only able to perform three loops per level and a bonus is awarded at the end of the level for unused loops. Player 1 uses a P-38 Lightning and Player 2 uses a new plane: Mosquito Mk IV. The game shifts from the original Pacific Front setting with that of the Western Front, in the north Atlantic Ocean.

It was the first shoot 'em up to add +1 to the score when a continue is used.

-Quote from Wikipedia (link)

1 hour ago, hansolo77 said:

Difficulty: 4 [Normal] - (GAMEEX NOTE - My ROM says 3 is normal.  Unless there is a major difference, I'm fine with 3 or 4)

That is because of a couple of major changes I just saw as I got this game to try it out.

According to MAME's WIP for 1941:

- 0.148u5: Sonikos fixed 'Difficulty' dipswitch which has in the tab menu values from 1 (easiest) to 8 (hardest) but in the game's menu it's from 0 to 7.

So if your version is after 0.148u5, difficulty will be from 0-7, so 3 is correct. Earlier versions should make sure it's 4.

Also:
- 0.145u5: Techmotour added 1941: Counter Attack (World 900227). Renamed (1941) to (1941r1).

This is also a big change because on versions after 0.145u5, the game is totally different. I played this game before in MAME, but what I must have been playing previous to this is what is now the 1941r1 set. The stages are changed in the new official parent ROM. What used to be Stage 1 in 1941r1 is now Stage 3, and you start in this version on what used to be Stage 2 in 1941r1. I would suggest perhaps for all who are playing it this month to use a version later than 0.145u5 so we all play the same game. Keep in mind again, the difficulty to set is 4 (Normal) from versions 0.145u5-0.148u5. All versions after 0.148u5 will be 3 (Normal).

• Like 1

@ExedExes Thanks a bunch for researching that and figuring out what's up.  I have a 0.154 set so I think I'm good.  TwinGalaxies must still be using a rule set from prior to 0.148u5.  I'll update the OP to make sure there's no confusion.  Although I agree, it would be in the best interest that everybody is using a rom set of at least 0.149+

@Cynicaster Nice first entry to the board!  I like seeing your score progression too.  Looks like you're getting better and better!

@RedDog That's a good solid 2nd place entry.  And to be honest, you're probably in no threat of not being on the board.  Last month we only had 8 voters, of which probably only half will participate.  The same is true for last month's GOTM.  We only had 4 players.  We have 34 registered players though, so I'm not sure what can be done to increase excitement for participation.  Oh well.  Anyway, yeah, you're probably fine.  :) There's a whole month to improve.

This game is absolutely brutal now that they changed the order of the stages around. There are a ton of scoring/weapon changes now too in addition to the cosmetic differences. I'm glad that they give you 4 Vital now instead of 3 on the old version, and it seems that the hit detection may sometimes work in your favor.

ExedExes - 797,000

0000.png

Yep, they ramped up the difficulty with this one, when you compare it to 1943.  But put it next to Raiden and it's a joke.

First shot and not the last, this is a fun one!

The music, sound effects and gameplay are all very similar to another popular late eighties side scolling shooter from Capcom called Carrier Airwing.   In fact, the sound it makes when you pelt the bosses with hundreds of shells is exactly the same.  Another ripoff is apparent with those choppers that fly in groups.  They are from the Vertical Shooter called Chopper I from SNK.

The Second World War has seen a turn toward Team MO.  For now.

MAM

Version 0.122

14704417233741810864803.jpg

1470441740268-1720670447.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made it past the first level in my trial run (to see what the default dip switches are).  But I wanted to play it more legit for a score at a later time.  Shame I never got around to it!  So yeah, head's up everybody!  Only 1 day left to play (tomorrow).  Thursday I'll announce the winner!

I tried to top my previous best tonight, but to no avail.  It looks like X never showed to try and sneak past me this month.

Show me the Banner!  

M.O.

LOL.. gonna have to wait for GC to come back for the banners...  but yes.. the winner is:

Mame Offender - 850,600 (link)

Congrats buddy!  Everybody else, join me in congratulating our winner of this month's GOTM Competition!  As a friendly reminder.. even though the month's competition is over, that doesn't mean you have to stop playing this game.  You can still play and submit scores.  We'd love to see them.  Not only does it give you the benefit of adding points towards your overall score (which calculates all of the games you've participated in) but if you beat Mame Offender, you get to bask in the pleasure of knowing you've bested the best!  So keep them coming!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...