All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Newbie Needs some guidance

DarkStar

Hey Guys,

I am a paid member of the original gameEx.  I decided to download and install the Evolution alpha the other day and I am having an issue.  Where do you go to setup the folders where your files are??  I have hovered and clicked on everything but am unable to find this.  I missed the chance at install to do all these things and I am wondering if I need to re-install.

Another question.  I have my machine set up with a CRT monitor.  I really want to switch to a flat screen due to some incompatability issues with some of the games I would like to put on this thing but I'm worried LCD/Plasma, whatever, will not be able to read the light gun.  Is this so?  Can I only play light gun games with a CRT?  Please help...

Thanks,

E

Hey Darkstar, Welcome to GameEx!!!! :)

First of all, If this is your first time working with GameEx, I would suggest holding off on using the GameEx Evolution Alpha for the time being. The 'alpha' means that it not the release version, but it is actually the first public showing. It currently only supports mame and is more for allowing the public to get a first look and for those who wish to help, to give feedback on structure, different setups, etc, fixing errors, etc.

Install the 'normal' GameEx and work with it for a while. Later on if you are curious where GameEx Evolution is going, reinstall it later and the things you have learned about GameEx will help you uinderstand GameEx Evolution better.

For setting up GameEx, directories can be located wherever you like. Within the SetupWizard, you will be given the option to set almost each and every one. Some people will use a structure that is similar to the defualts presented in GameEx, but it is up to you.

On the CRT/Light Gun, yes, that technology does not work with modern LCD monitors. I believe that they do make sensor bars that are compatible with the old tech (to simulate the existance of a big tube tv), otherwise you may have to switch up to all tech that is more like the wii. I was disappointed when I found this out myself. I have not played Time Crisis since...  :(

• Like 1

For LCDs you can go with AimTraks - i have them set up on mine. However, be warned: you are entering a world of pain, son, a world of pain (qt John Goodman)

They take some setting up, but totally worth it for the moment you get 2 player Time Crisis 3 working on PCSX2

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stigzler said:

They take some setting up, but totally worth it for the moent you get 2 player Time Crisis 3 working on PCSX2

But I love Time Crisis...and $100.00 isn't TOOO bad...nope...nope...must...resist...spending...more...money....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome Guys!  Thank you so much for the responses.  I have gone back to the original gamex and now everything working fine again.  As for the LCD, I think I'm just gonna use this CRT until it dies.  Thanks for your help.

• 5 months later...

DarkStar: I recently downloaded Evolution and I am loving it so far.  I was able to locate the SetupWizard file in the bin file inside the GameEx Evolution file.  If you go in there, you can edit some things to your liking.  

In regards to the AimTrak guns,  I have two and the sensor mounted inside my cab behind my glass.  One of them works amazing, but I am still struggling with issues when I plug in the second.  I have debated just having them permanently plugged in.  I have USB inputs on the outside of my controls panel.  I like just plugging them in there when I need them and I have them stored in a drawer.  Now that stigzler posted they work with TC3 I am going to have to invest more time in them.