All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] MAME system pack

Tom Speirs

Yes, it will change some MAME settings that are easily put back though: The mame path, mame exe, ROM path and the artwork paths. Nothing else and it does not copy or move any files it only changes a few settings in gameex.ini. You could safely back up gameex.ini and restore to undo.

Cheers.

Tom.

The only issue with it is the size and time it takes to extract.

Its very optimized and as small as I could get it. Its basically a complete MAME artwork/video set. You just run the exe and tell it where your ROMs are. It does need a complete set.

Cheers.

Tom.

PS: Yeah I know about the 2GB bug. I have reported to Invision.

This is incredibly convenient. Thank you Tom!

I was looking into trying to download all the updated mame stuff but it's always a hassle.  I need a simple tutorial of CLRmamepro, as I still can't figure updating full rom sets out. I'm always procrastinating Mame updates (I'm still on 0.153 and my romset hasn't had a fixfile since 0.149). Maybe this will light a fire under my tail and finally motivate me to do it. So I guess I'm looking for a 0.149 to 0.173 fixfile.

EDIT: Apparently my MAME 0.149 set is a merged set. The installer you included only accepts split sets, so I've been trying to unmerge my set and take the opportunity to update it to 175. ClrMamePro blues! The scanner always crashes before completing. I'm trying a new approach now, using the merger to convert my set to "non-merged set" then the scanner to split sets to remove unneeded roms. Hopefully that will leave me with a split set that I can then apply the update packs to with the rebuilder (I have very little idea what I'm doing and am sure I'm ruining this Romset. Luckily I have a backup).. 

Ok, well I tried to unmerge the set to a split with zip selected but it still has many 7z roms (I still don't get CMP). The set didn't completely update either even though I have all the update packs in my addpaths, including the backup folder. Everything should be there for the re-builder to work it's magic but, I still can't get it to work. I'm going to try deleting and starting over with my 149 full set and a database built from the 149 exe. I'll try to unmerge to a separate folder in zip. Then I'll try that with the installer to see if it work., Otherwise, holy crap batman, CMP stumped me.

16 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Yeah the issue is Evolution does not support merged sets in 7z format rather than anything else but I am not 100% sure on that.

I have my complete  MAME 0.175 ROMs in Merged T7Z format and games work launching from Evolution.

It's actually better to keep software lists split/zip for 100% compatibly because some machines where multiple disks/tapes get inserted at different times it fails when everything is merged ;)

For MAME ROMs and simple consoles/handhelds it doesn't matter too much.

• Like 1

Hi Tom,  

I was looking forward to trying the new evolution version and it looked like your pack would be a fantastic additive to testing.  However, the size seems to be too large for me to download.  I'll look around in the other threads to determine what i have to do to increase my download capability, however, do you have this pack available in a megasync, torrent, or anything like that?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, troy6900 said:

Hi Tom,  

I was looking forward to trying the new evolution version and it looked like your pack would be a fantastic additive to testing.  However, the size seems to be too large for me to download.  I'll look around in the other threads to determine what i have to do to increase my download capability, however, do you have this pack available in a megasync, torrent, or anything like that?

Thanks

I saw that you posted in the other thread about not being able to dowload Evolution due to download limits. Can you post the error message you received?

The files are only available via the Download Repository on the forums. 

The MAME Download pack is not available for basic members per the download description:

Note: File size is 19GB. Due to this size it is not available to basic members.

• Like 1

It's on the FTP too but that won't help you either as a basic member. As Draco said its made quite clear its too big at 20GB for the allowance of basic members.

You can get the content as torrents on another site that I can't mention due to the rules but without the app I developed to go with it.

• Like 1

Ok, I finally got everything up and working. The Pack and your nifty app work great. It's nice to see evolution as intended. I still can't get CMP to work, but whatever, there are alternatives. Thanks Tom, the app made setup quick and easy.

On 12/07/2016 at 3:18 PM, Tom Speirs said:

Yeah the issue is Evolution does not support merged sets in 7z format rather than anything else but I am not 100% sure on that.

Evo supports merged/non-merged zip and 7z format.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shanti,

The FTP is not currently as a free for all service. See here for member group information:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/explanation-of-member-groups/

As you purchased GameEx a very long time ago and way before the FTP and online features came available, you don't get it for free. I hope you understand that. I gave all the GameEx Founder members free trial access for 8 months which is why you had access, but that has now expired.

Thanks.
Tom.

PS: As a founding member though you should have the allowance to download from the site here. So please give that a try.

I will be offering discounted upgrades for GameEx founding members to upgrade to the new online lifetime and GameEx Evolution. Its just hard to do that right now with Evolution at the first release. Again, I hope you understand and thank you for your patience.