All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Resolved] Did Evo install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable?

RIP-Felix

I noticed that there is an installer, uninstaller, cabinet file and a bunch of dll's for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable that "appeared" on my root G:Drive (the data hard drive my games are located on). I think I remember seeing this install during evo but am not sure. If so, you might look into why it just placed them into my root folder instead of nested within its own folder in a more appropriate place on the computer (Like the C:Drive or appdata or wherever). IDK, maybe it wasn't Evo that installed it there. The only other thing I've downloaded since was imgburn, so the list of possible culprits is slim. ***Edit: and Visual Studios which I forgot about (what actually caused this)***

Ok, yes. I found that this was installed as part of visual studio 9.0 beta program (odd place to put them, shame on microsoft). I think I'll just delete them and hope for the best. In any case Evo has been exonerated. Feel free to delete this thread to tidy things up.

As a disclaimer of sorts, MS redists are known for dumping junk files on your most expansive drive (with the most space) and not cleaning themselves once installed. You are safe to trash 'em ;)

Highlighted in blue for the cautious:

msjunk.png

It will dump these files on whichever drive has the most free space regardless and is out of anyone's control. I can assure you all it's nothing to do with GameEx and you can safely remove all the files without consequence :)