All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEX Evolution First Impression

B2K24

My first impressions are this is a really impressive alpha and I see so much future potential in EVO that I'm quite excited in future progress. I'm really blown away at finally being able to use EVO after watching those teaser videos all those months ago.

Out of the box the user will get Arcade only with no clones shown (about 2200+ games in their listing) which is what a lot of people want at the very least to start off with.

http://imgur.com/8tUhMLU

Advanced users can navigate to "GameEx Evolution\Data\MAME" and consult a file named [FILTER].xml

http://imgur.com/aNDIFmy

What has me really excited and intrigued is at location "GameEx Evolution\Data\MAME\Software" the contents of the Software exactly mirror the files of MAME's hash folder. I can't wait to see what EVO does with this and how it handles it.

There is also support for HyperSpin MAME themes and wheels.

I can see this the beginning of something that will end up being really really awesome :)

• Like 5

I hope you don't mind if I use your topic for my first impression and keep the forum tidy :)
I just installed it. Sure it looks AWESOME being an alpha. I haven't tried launching any game yet, just setup and check the frontend.
So far: I had to set joystick controls 2 times. I don't know why, but joystick controls were not saved. And my arcade only uses joystick... so I need them.

I set them, run frontend, and it launches as window. I plug a mouse and make it full screen. it takes some time as it's generating a xml file.
Frontend loads, controls won't work. So I exit frontend.

Check setup wizard, and everything's ok but the joystick controls. They're back to default. Every joystick option. Mouse is disabled although I can use it on the frontend anyway.
Launch frontend again... and it's creating the xml file again. I though it finished the first time... anyway, the controls work now... but as if they were analogical.
My joysticks are 4 way arcade ones, but the slightest touch makes the game list jump around 8-12 items. Sometimes I managed to make it go up/down one title at a time, but suddenly it starts jumping a bunch of titles.
If I try to keep the joystick up/down pressed to jump to another letter far away, the list of games goes weird and even dissapears. This happened also when changing view to wheel, cover flow or anything else. The wheel seemed to spin off axis and the cover flow just dissapeared.

If I stop moving the joystick, the lists goes back to normal, it just dissapears when it's scrolling fast.

I didn't notice any control to make the joystick controls digital and not analogical, so I don't know how to fix it.
The mouse always work even if I set gameex not to use it on the setup wizard.

Besides that, I must insist: I was blown away. and it's an ALPHA! I can't even imagine what Evo will do when it reaches beta! :D

• Like 1

I don't mind at all helpman :)

I did notice your issue myself on the very first page of the setup wizard after choosing Advanced. I wanted joystick input and I didn't want anything executing shutdown my PC.

This happened two or three times and right when I was going to report it, it didn't happen anymore. Everything I change is saved now. I don't know if it has to do with executing the verify and the end of the wizard or if it's just dumb luck.