All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Double Dragon

June 2016 GOTM Winner:  RedDog - 101,020 (link)

Double Dragon
Double Dragon Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 RedDog 101,020 RedDog's Hi-Score Entry
2 ExedExes 92,850 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
3 Cynicaster 84,110 Cynicaster's Hi-Score Entry
4 Floyd Turbo 67,940 Floyd Turbo's Hi-Score Entry
5 millerbrad 45,540 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
6 hansolo77 35,480 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
7 Mame Offender 15,700 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
8 Luigimaker 6,400 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
Last Updated by hansolo77: 12-19-2018

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Double Dragon:

ROMSet: DDragon
Cabinet: Upright
Flip Screen: Off
Difficulty: Medium
Unused: Off
Bonus Life: 30k and every 60k
Lives: 2
Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY Variation! Continues are NOT allowed!
Special Note: When you defeat a Boss, you may NOT continue beating on other enemies for points when the clock stops. As well, there exists a trick where you can time a jump when you possess a weapon, just as the stage ends and the weapon will materialize on the next stage in front of you. This is a banned tactic and use will disqualify your record.

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

You voted, here it is!  June 2016's GOTM is.... DOUBLE DRAGON!

Double Dragon (ダブルドラゴン Daburu Doragon?)[4] is a 1987 beat 'em up video game developed by Technōs Japan and distributed in North America and Europe by Taito. The game is a spiritual and technological successor to Technos' earlier beat 'em up, Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun (released outside Japan by Taito as Renegade), but introduced several additions such as two-player cooperative gameplay and the ability to arm oneself with an enemy's weapon after disarming them. Double Dragon is considered to be one of the first successful examples of the genre, resulting in the creation of two arcade sequels and several spinoffs, as well as inspiring other companies in creating their own beat 'em ups.

Originally an arcade game, home versions were released for the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari ST, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Game Boy, Genesis/Mega Drive and Atari Lynx, among other platforms during the series's height of popularity. A remake titled Double Dragon Advance was released for the Game Boy Advance in 2003. The NES version was re-released for the Wii's Virtual Console in North America on April 28, 2008 at a cost of 500 Wii Points.[5] Nintendo also released the Game Boy version on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console in 2011.

-Quote from Wikipedia.

• Like 3

You can really tell this is the "first" beat-em up.  The controls are slow and sluggish, and the fairness of the enemies is uneven.  I'm constantly getting knocked down and put in a spot I can't break out of when they have weapons.  Still, I managed to get to the 3rd stage easy enough before completely dying.  I think I prefer some newer old-school beat-em ups though.  :) I'll have to go back and play some of the remakes/clones on other consoles to see if the issues I have still exist there.

Score: 35,480
Initials: HAN

0000.png

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Seems like I remember getting pretty far by spamming jump-kicks in the old NES version (I think there were a lot more fighting moves available in that version, too).  The arcade was always a quarter-eater.  Your score will be tough for me to beat.

Last month was fun but there was no way I could touch that score. Now, THIS game..... I was able to play a lot of free arcade games when I was much younger because we had a local indoor center in town that was open at night to the younger folk and it had all sorts of activities to do like pool, basketball, air hockey, etc. and they had an arcade with a ton of classic games, this was one of them! I got good, and I got good real fast. But I'd always use continues to get to the end. On a credit, I managed to get to mission 4 and then get messed up by the traps there early on, even though the enemies really don't give me any issues.

I will say this -- don't scroll the screen too quick so you only have to deal with one enemy at a time, and do NOT fall into a pit on your last life or you will be unable to enter a name so I had to play this again to get the screenshot and I did just a little bit better.

ExedExes - 67,980

0005.png

What do you mean about the 'D'. That's what it looked like on the screen. Honest. Hey, maybe it was one of those glitches...   :)

I generally think of a rom being one zip file, so when you say 'set' I thought that meant any of them. I just chose the first USA version. No problem, I can try again. Maybe this time I can get past those traps.

HAHA!!  :lol:  Thanks for being such a good sport!  The only reason I was being picky was because we've had some issues in the past where our rules were somewhat ignored and when we let it slide it started "unfair advantage" controversies.  I know we're just a small little group here with nothing really at risk or anything to gain.  But still, fairs fair.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

Here is another. I did encounter the glitch this time where I fell off a ledge on my final death and did not get to register my initials...so it's up to you if you want to take it. I will try again anyway.  :)

I got past the block traps this time AND THEN died. Now thats progress!

2016-06-05 21_00_17-MAME_ Double Dragon (Japan) [ddragon] b.png

Really?  There's no way to save your initials if you beat the game?  That just seems wrong.  I mean, if somebody beats the game, you'd WANT to have your initials on there for people to be jealous of.  Oh well.  It's cool by me because I trust you.  You other screenshots look the same (with the window banner, etc).  You know you can hit F12 and do an ingame screenshot right?  It saves it in the MAME screenshots folder under a separate folder of the romname.

Updated OP, DB, RSS

(this was meant to be posted for RedDog.. I guess I forgot to hit [Submit Reply] !!!)

@millerbrad Glad you got on board!  I don't own a Next Gen console, so I'm not interested in Overwatch.  TBH, I've only seen 1 commercial about it, and it's a pre-rendered animation so I don't even know what the game is about.  :) But I've got your score added to the board now!

Updated OP, DB, RSS

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  I'm extending the competition an extra few days due to the American holiday weekend.  My work schedule is kinda keeping me from updating everything.  I'll try to get it done this Sunday (my next day off).  So take this time and submit a score if you can!