All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Race condition between PinballX and dmdext?

Zeiram

I've noticed what appears to be a race condition where PinballX tries to resume control of the DMD before dmdext has detected that FX2 has exited and shuts down.  The upshot is that DMD videos won't reappear in PinballX until after you launch a table from another engine - e.g. VP or FP.  This probably requires some coding in PinballX to fix, and I've brought it up on Tom's forum.  A minor irritation at worst - since I migrated from the old AHK approach to launching FX2 and added dmdext as my start program, things work wonderfully!

This is with a pindmd2 on Windows 7.  I'm guessing that the pinballx process regains focus at the same time as fx2 starts to shut down and kills the DMD handle. Tom might need to insert a short delay on piping attract content to the dmd on return from fx2 or PBA. I will try inserting an ahk script with a short timer as the exit process from fx2 to see if that fixes it when I get a chance.

I verified that adding an AHK script as the launch after process with a short delay (I used 200 ms) gives dmdext enough time to release the dmd.  Up to Tom if this is a big enough deal to fix in the launcher itself.

Pause.ahk

• 4 months later...

Hello Zeiram

Could you post your pinballx.ini section for Pinball FX2 along with the pause script. I have the same problem and can't fix it with a delaying script as a lunch after to Pinball FX2. I also set up dmdext.exe as lunch before application. I might find a solution when seeing other setups that work. Would be nice! Thanks in advance. :-)

Do you have AHK auto hot key installed?

You can write and compile a one line script using the sleep command. It is in milliseconds. So, a 2 sec delay would be written as sleep 2000

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎04 at 9:08 AM, hlr53 said:

Do you have AHK auto hot key installed?

You can write and compile a one line script using the sleep command. It is in milliseconds. So, a 2 sec delay would be written as sleep 2000

For me, having PFX2 as an "other" "custom" system, and also use an AHK delay script like you suggested is what I had to do to get PFX2 with dmdext and PBX to work.