All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] PinballX Expired message?

RustyCardores

When I try to start PinballX I get an expired message (in a window) telling me to load the latest PBX..... I've not seen this before? 

Have I missed something new?  It seemed a little odd as I have run many versions of PBX, so I thought I should check just in case, as I've not seen it mentioned here.

Tom must have made an update. I've installed the new version over the old one. All settings were kept. And: All my problems with the old version are gone: Freezing in attract mode or when scrolling through the tables, and my RealDMD not being activated after choosing a table. Good job, Tom!

I'm building my dad a pinball who is out of state, and will be using PinballX, it won't be connected to internet.  I really hope the expiration thing doesn't pop up on him after a few months or year, as he would have no idea how to update.  Hopefully the newer versions don't do that.

Yep, versions expire if online.  Its not uncommon with software these days and hey its free so you can't really complain and PinballX has always done this ;)

It was partly my bad as I neglected to update the date. Sorry about that.

However, the installer is set to not overwrite existing files and I really don't think it does. It will just upgrade and an uninstall I expect will probably also not delete your settings if the files are modified. Its probably just installing it to a different location or some other issue but if you have a problem I will gladly look into it.

So if there is a bug with the installer I will fix it but at the same time there is realty no harm doing a back up once a while, right ;)

PS: I have also made plans in case of me having an untimely demise. Others do have access to the source.

Its really a non an issue and its nothing new with PinballX either. All I ask is if you want to use the software you allow me to fix bugs and improve on it. That is what is about right now.

Cheers.

Tom.

Thanks for clearing that up Tom. I'm new to the Pinball X scene so it caught me a bit off guard, then doubly confused when the date of the installer package was still February.

Also thanks for your continued work on this product.

Hi Tom,

thank You for developing and improving this great piece of software. I love it. Although it would be great to add a startup parameter to avoid the "Your version has expired" announcement as it is closing the program down at the moment. Even if the machine is online, it sometimes is quite a hassle to download and install a new version on a cab - especially if You just want to play a game of pinball or show Your magnificent cab to some friends.

Regards
Michael

23 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

Even if the machine is online, it sometimes is quite a hassle to download and install a new version on a cab

I thought I made my positon clear but just wanted to respond that I don't agree that it is hassle. Just install teamviewer on the cab.