All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Raiden

Raiden
Raiden Leaderboard

POSITION USER NAME TOTAL SCORE
1 Mame Offender 779,860 Mame Offender's Hi-Score Entry
2 hansolo77 408,930 hansolo77's Hi-Score Entry
3 ExedExes 368,020 ExedExes's Hi-Score Entry
4 smario 347,500 smario's Hi-Score Entry
5 millerbrad 202,340 millerbrad's Hi-Score Entry
6 Luigimaker 118,770 Luigimaker's Hi-Score Entry
7 rtkiii 95,700 rtkiii's Hi-Score Entry
8 Floyd Turbo 42,500
Last Updated by hansolo77: 04-20-2019

Please use these settings when submitting a hi-score for Raiden:

ROMSet: Raiden
Unused: Off
Flip Screen: Off
Lives: 3
Bonus Life: 150000 400000
Difficulty: Normal
Allow Continue: No (This is typical for TG and us.. make sure you change it!)
Special Rules: This is a Single Player ONLY variation! Continues are NOT allowed!

Special Note: Please note this title has emulation issues and does not usually playback fully via Wolfmame 0.106 [or any version known of.] Please double check playback [Exit the INP and immediately Retsart it if it doesn't playback properly the first time and this usually remedies it] before submitting.

The green coloured default values match the Twin Galaxies settings.
The red coloured values need to be changed!

# you can change your Mame dip switch settings by following this guide: :link:
# you can make a printscreen of your hi-score screen by following this guide: :link:
# general rules for submitting you hi-score: :link:

• Like 1

A lot of our guys really like these shooters.  I could take or leave them.  I know our resident backup HS Mod (DazzleHP) loves them.  :) I expect to see him with a nice score.  MO (MameOffender) requested this.. so he'll probably have a decent score too. 

Updated OP, DB, RSS

BAM - 105,760

Slowly improving, but every time some stupid tank drives out from under a tree and shoots a bullet up my butt while I'm trying to keep track of 10 other enemies, I want to pick up my arcade cabinet and throw it into the sun.

I think the key to doing well at shmups is to eat handfuls of Ritalin for breakfast. My brain hurts. Where's my beer?

raiden105760.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, millerbrad said:

BAM - 105,760

Slowly improving, but every time some stupid tank drives out from under a tree and shoots a bullet up my butt while I'm trying to keep track of 10 other enemies, I want to pick up my arcade cabinet and throw it into the sun.

I think the key to doing well at shmups is to eat handfuls of Ritalin for breakfast. My brain hurts. Where's my beer?

Nice improvement millerbrad....and I would choose beer for breakfast haha ;)

Updated OP, DB, RSS, LB

• Like 1

I think the key is to be in the Matrix.  Then you can slow time down and actually see everything.  Either that, or countless millions in quarters/tokens and sheer practice.  In my case, it'll be pure luck.  :)

• Like 1

@millerbrad I would very much like to know which program you use to record your gameplay ! I also use Mame with hiscore support and when I tried to record my gameplay (has been a long time ago) Mame screwed up my in-game hiscore table. If you could also share your settings for the program you use I would be very happy :) 

Thanks in advance !!!

@GimmeClassics In my first couple videos, I used Shadowplay, which is part of the Nvidia Experience software that comes with Nvidia drivers. I had a lot of trouble getting it to reliably launch on my cab, unfortunately.

I'm now using OBS Studio, with the NVENC encoder (Nvidia hardware encoder) that's included with the software. I don't actually launch it on startup, but rather, have it on my GameEx menu as an external program to launch. Then I just set up the hotkeys (in OBS and on my IPAC) so MENU+2PCOIN starts/stops streaming to YouTube, and MENU+2PSTART starts/stops recording to the hard drive. I haven't really used the recording feature, and my videos are all just streamed directly to YouTube, however.

I can post more specific details if you want (probably best in a separate thread), but really the important setting I use is the NVENC encoder (which I think requires an Nvidia 7xx or newer card). The software does include software encoders, but you'll need a beefier CPU for this.

I was about to say "I thought I posted the reply about updating everything with your new score.." then when I went to reply again just now.. it was still saved like I hadn't hit the submit button.  Sorry about that!  I did update everything though, so at least that much is good.  Here's my original reply from last night:

----------------------------

:o Wow nice!  I can't even get past the first half of the first stage.  :)

Updated OP, DB, RSS

My wrist hurts.... here's my first score: 347,500

This game is demanding, to say the least. But it's so very good, only surpassed by Raiden 2 (which is one of my all time faves).

I recommend the following:

• Stay with the blue gun; its stopping power more than makes up for its limited lateral range. Also, against common recommendation, I use the M missiles in the first stage to get rid of the bosses quickly
  • Stay in the lower half of the screen and always move; NEVER (that's with a big exclamation mark) try to go for the weapons, instead let them come to you. If you miss them, you miss them. I don't know how many deaths I died reaching for the extras
  • It's NOT cool to die with four bombs; use them!
  • Right before the second river there's a tree on the far right which you can shoot; out comes a flying ... thingy which gives back all your weapons the first time you die

04.05.2016215548.png

Raiden - Stands for Lightning/ Thunder in Japanese.

This is one of the best vertical shooters ever created.  It has insane difficulty, nice graphics, bloody boss battles, mini bosses everywhere.  Oh, one more thing: it has a miniscule hitbox, which deems this game completely unfair and unforgiving at times.

I will kick off my Raiden Rampage with this Average score:

1462490656902-712828458.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mame Offender said:

It  has a miniscule hitbox, which deems this game completely unfair and unforgiving at times.

I will kick off my Raiden Rampage with this Average score:

Averagely kicking the rest of our mortal butts that is. :)

And I think you mean there's a great big hitbox. Those bullets smoke you if you even look at them funny.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, millerbrad said:

And I think you mean there's a great big hitbox. Those bullets smoke you if you even look at them funny.

Yes,ur right.  I meant big hitbox!

So yeah. From the IGBY to playing this at Racketboy for our Shmup of the Month back in December, I think I can get around this game. I also tried it on that Raiden Legacy collection on PC and mobile devices. My favorite is still the second one with the toothpaste laser and the first Raiden Fighters (JUDGE SPEAR!)

The flying "thingy' would be the Fairy, a staple of the Raiden series, always hidden, when picked up, will give you a ton of weapons and bombs when you die.

So yeah. I know how well M.O. did on this at IGBY 1, but just to get on the board.

ExedExes - 368,020

0001.png

• Like 2

I had some Raiden for breakfast this morning.  Needless to say, I got my fill.

God Bless Saturday morning Classic Arcade Video Games!

--779,860--

1462627691772-1285172125.jpg

Hoping to ignite the shmuppers competitive fires on Raiden.  

I never even sank one shot into the fifth boss.  I died right before I got to him.

M.O.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a nice game once you get used to it.  The only thing I hate about it is when you die you lose all your weapon upgrades.  I did really good my last run and made it through the entire 1st stage without dying.  Then I died once in the 2nd.  Upgraded my weapons (not as high) then died again in the 3rd round lots of times and game over.  I really wish I was better at these kinds of games.  I chalk it up to inexperience, since I never played these when I was a kid.  At home, console games were played for hours daily.  I dunno, maybe it's because I'm using a joypad instead of a joystick.  Anyway, here's my best so far:

Score: 408,930
Initials: HAN

0000.png

Updated OP, DB, RSS