All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[COMMUNITY PROJECT] 400x400 Game Logo Snaps Project

PURPOSE - Source and create game logos for use in place of snaps for the various emulated systems to take advantage of GameEx’s “grid view” options vs. displaying the typical list format.

RECOMMENDED TOOLS - The following applications are recommended for use by members contributing images for the project:

•          ImageMagick – This powerful command line application is useful for performing individual or batch image conversions.
  •          DB Browser for SQL LiteA useful tool for browsing and editing .db3 files used by GameEx. Allows for exporting GameEx database GameData tables to .csv file format for tracking the sourcing of raw image files.

•          GIMP - GNU IMAGE MANIPULATION PROGRAM. This popular open source graphics editing software offers many features found in Adobe Photoshop. Very useful for image manipulation and editing of images – and FREE.

PROCESS Steps To keep things as simple as possible, I will ask that each person that wishes to contribute report to this thread and announce the system they intend to source and convert images. This will help to avoid duplication of effort and confusion.

You may want to use a checklist to keep track of your progress for a system. Using DB Browser for SQL Lite will allow you to open the GameEx Databases (located in \GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS folder) to view the GameData tables and export to .csv format. This step will also provide you with the proper name of the ROM. This can vary depending on whether or not the ROM name for the set is Hyperlist, Good Name, NoIntro, or TOSEC. For our purposes, we will use the Good Name and, if no name use NoINtro, then TOSEC.

USING IMAGEMAGICK - After installing ImageMagick, open a command line and change to the drive and path for the images that you want to convert.  For our purposes, you will need to create a 400x400 pixel image using the logo files you have sourced with all images centered.  

PLEASE NOTE: These steps will overwrite the images in your directory so make a backup of your originals! You will also need to ensure that the largest dimension of your source image is not any larger than 400 pixels or it will be cropped by this process. You can use GIMP or another graphics editing program to scale them to fit within the 400 W x 400 H dimensions.

The following steps will guide you in performing a batch conversion of all images within a subfolder:

•       Open a command line using Windows CMD.exe
  •      Change to the directory for the images you have sourced
  •      Copy & Paste the following command into your command line and hit ENTER

mogrify.exe -background none -extent 400x400 -gravity center *.png

It will take several minutes if you have thousands of images so be patient. When finished, the new image files will be centered within a 400x400 transparent canvas.

UPLOAD TO THE GAMEEX FTP – After converting and validating your images, you may upload them to the GameEx FTP site at /-GameEx-/Projects/400x400 Game Logo Snaps Project. Please note that there will be folders already created for the various systems.

SPECIAL THANKS - Special thanks goes out to @nightgaunt98 for sharing his source files to get MAME and a few other systems up and running with some great images. Also thanks to @tthurman and @stigzler for their conversations in the forum regarding using the grid view option as a source of inspriation for launching this project.

400x400.jpg

• Like 2

Brilliant project, Draco. One that'll come in immensely handy with Evolution. 

I'm just wondering about a couple of things before the party gets started. 

Firstly, I wonder whether it's worth making a repository of full-sized game logos + then have sub-repositories off that (e.g. 400x400 resized). That way, stuff can be future-proofed as much as possible (4K TVs and all that)

Secondly, I wrote an app specifically for collaborative image projects and wonder whether this'd be helpful here? Basically, it uses cloud synced collaborative folders and works on the principle of three folders:

1. New images to be compared to existing sets

2. Local image set folder

3. Cloud image set folder

It sounds complex but really easy to set up and use. It also uses GameEx db3s and Mame xmls to get the games list. No more faffing around with google spreadsheets (yay!)

I set up a mock-up in 20 minutes. This is how it would work:

Screenshot%202016-05-01%2017.18.53.png

Advantages of this would include:

- File history trail in case mistakes made by a user (e.g. over-writing someone else's image sets)

- Guaranteed accuracy of game names to ensure matches those used by GameEx (uses the GE gamename as the standard)

- You can use the other formats if deemed preferable (all the different ones - tosec etc). 

Also, recently upgraded my server. I'm happy to host the images via BitTorrentSync (a free alternative to DropBox). This'd avoid any potential problems with DropBox and ensure the community has ownership of any work/images. Also, this'd be backed up on and off site. 

Would be happy taking on the task of uploading the collaborative cloud folder to FTP when community feels timely. 

I've setup a sandbox to play about with. If anyone fancies a go, here's the steps to follow:

1. Download + install GameSetMatch : https://gamesetmatch.codeplex.com/releases/view/618329

2. Download + install BitTorrentSync (BTSync): https://www.getsync.com/

3. Click this:

https://link.getsync.com/#f=MameSandbox&sz=0&t=2&s=AR2YINI37VWBOQIKDHJMGJGPHFKT6WYRBQGVHVX6ND4QD7SACFZQ&i=CVB34LKQXGTDWN5LWFIFIEECQKV4EXNVQ&v=2.3

Give me a shout and I'll activate your account. I'll get your BTSync username my end - so if it doesn't match your GameEx one - make sure you let me know who you are! Need to have some trace/audit as essentially letting people upload to my sever. 

4. Create two folders somewhere for the Local Image set and the New/Compare image sets. E.g:

Screenshot%20-%2001_05_2016%20%2C%2017_4

5. Start GameSetMatch. Setup Tab and press Clear. Then set it up something like this:

Screenshot%20-%2001_05_2016%20%2C%2017_4

The mame XML is in the BTSync MameSandbox folder. Click Save to save the setup.

6. Click "Go" and then you can start messing about with it! It takes a little while at the start to construct everything, but then you're free to compare away!

So, download/place any images you want to compare to the Local and Cloud folder in the "New" folder. I downloaded some of the "Vheels med dal..." from the GameEx ftp:

Screenshot%20-%2001_05_2016%20%2C%2017_5

You can work straight from the New images folder to the cloud, or keep your own Local Image Set alongside. This shows an example where a larger file is found for Panic Road:

Screenshot%20-%2001_05_2016%20%2C%2018_0

Anyways, let me know what you think. I know it looks a little complicated to start, but I really do feel it would make for things running a lot smoother once something like this gets up and running + it also makes collaboration a lot easier. I don't mean to detract from anything, just wanting to ensure Team GameEx is the side to back!

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan to me. I was hoping to leverage some of your organizational brilliance to organize this project after the success you and Todd had with the last project. A few questions:

- Is there a way to indicate who is "checking out" a specific system for sourcing, etc., for the project? I would like to see this managed and be able to replace "owners" if someone should drop out so that the project continues to move forward.

- I have created a directory schema on the FTP and uploaded the converted MAME files. The schema uses the names of the .db3 files from GameEx (I haven't finished creating all of the folders just yet). Will this pick up the files already converted and display on the Game Set Match screen?

- Some may prefer to source and modify images on their own and upload directly to the GameEx FTP as opposed to using your system. Will this present an issue?

Heh @ "organisational brilliance." You wouldn't say that if you saw my house!

• " - Is there a way to indicate who is "checking out" a specific system for sourcing, etc., for the project? I would like to see this managed and be able to replace "owners" if someone should drop out so that the project continues to move forward."

I wonder if it might be better to allow more than one user collaborate on the same system. This would prevent "burn-out" on large systems. You could agree between yourselves how you were going to approach it (Todd and I worked from A upwards and Z backwards and met in the middle!). GameSetMatch would allow you to see which Game Logos had been done and which were remaining just by looking at the cloud folder. If it's already been done - it'll be in there. I'm sure there's some way I could produce who's done what uploads via BTSync (credit given where credit's due and all that). However - yeah some co-ordination of who's working on what systems may be a good idea. Bagsy NOT "t" for Mame! Maybe a table in this topic somewhere? The idea of having a specific "owner" for a system is a good one - I wouldn't mind being the Playstation foreman. :)

• " - I have created a directory schema on the FTP and uploaded the converted MAME files. The schema uses the names of the .db3 files from GameEx (I haven't finished creating all of the folders just yet). Will this pick up the files already converted and display on the Game Set Match screen..
  • - Some may prefer to source and modify images on their own and upload directly to the GameEx FTP as opposed to using your system. Will this present an issue? "

Nice work with the directories. Great choice to use the system db format approach too. 

The idea behind using a synced cloud folder is that it is faster and more responsive than FTP. So, for example, if two users working on the same system, any updates/uploads will immediately sync to the other users' synced folder. Also, using cloud-based approaches will keep file histories for overwritten/duplicated/conflicted files. It just feels all-round better for synced/collaborative working. 

Each user can keep their own set of images in the Local Folder. Also, each user will always have a local copy of the cloud folder, of course 

I'd suggest using the FTP folder as the final 'published' set. It seemed to work well for the Developer logo project - we completed the image set via a shared dropbox folder, then  published to the FTP. 

Essentially, there'd be no link between GameSetMatch and the FTP site. However, there would be between the system collaborative folder and the FTP publish folder. 

Any user, of course, will be able to publish the shared cloud folder to the FTP at any time. 

Essentially, despite it sitting on my server, it will be shared material + also be sitting on everyone else's machines. 

Of course, we could equally use a dropbox account if people are uneasy about me or other GE members hosting the files. However, was never really sure about copyright issues and there may also be capacity issues. 

What do you think about having a fullsize/originals set and then separate resized/modified sets?

Things to keep in mind is that the logo images we should be sourcing will be:

- .png format is the defacto final file format

- on a transparent background

- no larger than 400 pixels on the largest dimension

If someone sources an original logo image that has a background or is larger than 400 pixels on one or both dimensions, then someone will have to extract the logo and scale before the conversion. So for the sake of expediency, participants will want to always try to source logo snaps that are transparent .pngs. Scaling down to fit the 400 pixel limt can be performed on an individual or batch basis so not as big a deal as meeting the first two criteria.

Since I do not anticipate members flocking in droves to participate, I think that someone posting to volunteer to take a system or two is sufficient. 

I like the idea of the synched cloud for the WIP and keeping the FTP as the final repository for finished work.

As for the question of copyrights and all, while there are many of us that have created original compositions, most are not really that original, having sources from various other sources that someone somewhere owns the rights.

I do not anticpate that all systems will have logo images for all games available and some will likely be empty. The more recent the system the more likely that source files will be found that do not require a ton of work and that would be my suggestion for interested members to start, then working towards the older and more unique sets.

Definitely on the .png format and on the transparent background.

This is taking me back to the Developer logos project + deliberations around what sets of images to store. It got a bit much with string a set of 'vanilla/original logo images' (for example advert scans for older systems) + then 'rough' logo images (roughly cropped from adverts) and then minimal processing (some supersal(?) on pixelated, 1px gausian on aliased). tbh it got a bit much

I'd still suggest we go for the largest image possible, and then have another resized set from there. The large/source image set should be at a reasonable standard with minimal post-processing. You can make bevelled/glass effect/outlined logo sets from thereon in.

However, if you're using 8/16 bit logos, then maybe some post-processing as standard? If you're having to screen-grab from a C64 game for example, I'd suggest a little bit of de-pixelating effects to be preferable. E.g:

DeltaPixelated.png

becomes:

DeltaSmoothed.png

Maybe even outlining allowed with white outers?

DeltaSmoothedOutlined.png

I like the last of the 3 the best. I know that some will be less than perfect and they will have to be remade to an extent. Some of the imperfections on larger images will be lost when scalled down to the 400 px limit. 

So long as the end result is as "true to the spirti" of the orignal is probably the best we can hope for in some instances. I would say that the majority of what we see is not original, but it is accepted by the community regardless.

Yeah - the 3rd has some "pop"

Guess it's a logos project, so if they are being created/fashioned, it might be worth requiring some minimal post-processing. I do think a thin black stroke around white-edged logos would be advantageous, given the transparency and thus unknown background colour. Also, the HBR up-scaling on 8/16/32 bit images. Those two won't require much GIMP/Image edit expertise.

I'll put this here whilst I got the tab up:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/45856-image-resizer-specially-for-upscaling-pixel-art/

Let's see what other's think, Draco. Also happy for anyone to take GameSetMatch for a spin and do any alterations needed. 

Considering this is a hunt for/task of making a logo for every game, it feels like "well begun is half done."

I'm sure with the right promotion people will want to pitch in. I'm always convinced that there's a number of people wanting to contribute but just don't know how or that they can!

:)

• Like 1

Even if they are doing the initial hunting and gathering of the images it will be a big help. We have artists in our midst that can handle the manipulation and scaling duties. The command line I provided for ImageMagick is one of many for handling batch processes and for much more than scaling duities, I have only used it a few times but, as @nightgaunt98 will attest, just being able to run a simple script to center on a square transparent background in a matter of minutes vs many many hours of manually coaxing each image into compliance is a blessing.

I have scaled and centered what he provided in the following folders in the FTP:

[Arcade] Arcade (Mame)

[Arcade] Laserdisc

[Console] NEC TurboGrafx CD

[Console] NEC TurboGrafx-16

[Console] Nintendo N64

[Console] Nintendo NES

[Console] Nintendo SNES

[Console] Sega 32X

[Console] Sega CD

[Console] Sega Dreamcast

[Console] Sega Genesis

[Console] Sega Saturn

It may not be all for all of these, and it is not all of the systems available, but it is a decent start.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be a problem to import those already on the FTP into corresponding Cloud folders. I would be interested in what others think about down-scaling the images, or whether we keep a 'large/original' and 'scaled' set.

That does look like a handy tool. XNView is also a great GUI-based batch imager.

That would probably be a good idea so you can compare the contents and be able to note which are missing according to the databases. I think the original set and modified set (which would include scaling, cleanup, etc.) categories would be sufficient along with approved (which would be uploaded to the FTP).

Looks like we may have found our first talent, draco! Good work night. Do you fancy being the resident bespoke games logo designer? How about we start with the mame set? I see therees loads missing.

The set you uploaded to the ftp - is this the full hyperspin set or are there more out there?

What was uploaded was the converted set from nightgaunt.  I think most of what may be missing will turn out to be mostly "hanafuda" and puzzle games . We need to make sure we weed out any electromechanical and similar titles.

There are a small handful that I will be replacing as the original image will need to be rescaled to the original borders before given the 400 x 400 treatment. 

Let's get a list of what's missing and  get this set completed.

7 hours ago, stigzler said:

Looks like we may have found our first talent, draco! Good work night. Do you fancy being the resident bespoke games logo designer? How about we start with the mame set? I see therees loads missing.

The set you uploaded to the ftp - is this the full hyperspin set or are there more out there?

Ummm, well. To be perfectly honest, not really.

I can help out periodically but I'm running my own business here and would hate to promise something

and not be able to fulfill it. I feel I already spent some hard time on the frontlines gathering up what logos I have

and uploaded to the FTP ;-)

But if you are stuck on something specific I'm happy to help out whenever I can!

Speaking of gathering, I'd like to reiterate that these were all not just pulled from HS.

Some were from searching on Google, some I had to create from random artwork found for the rom, some were from

torrent Mame art packs, and yes, some were from HS to try and fill the missing gaps.

Tom has already expressed concern with some being from HS and using them here and in Evo,

but I think I talked him down from his concerns. Just wanted to point that out...

From what I can tell before I gave up on trying to get a full set of EVERYTHING in my initial excitement

is that a lot of what may be missing are what Draco said, random mahjong puzzle type games titles and wot not.

I'm not speaking for Tom (if it comes across as such), but sharing what I've taken from his comments.  

I believe his primary concern is for people not to see EVO as a continuation or replacement of HS; but instead what it is, the Evolution of GameEx.

In the announcement thread post you can see headkaze noted some of the feature set would allow for some of the extraordinary community created content already available, to remain usable.  This makes sense, because someone that has been using community created content on their existing setup will almost certainly not want to have to recreate it just to give Evolution a test drive.

- Support for rendering HyperSpin themes (natively with no conversion necessary)

So from this perspective some elements can be shared between multiple frontends if so desired, which I find no different than emu-movies.

Now if an available base theme in Evo where to rely on elements primarily from another FE, then that's another story, and I believe exactly his reason for concern.

Regardless, as this project progresses we should end up with a load of "in house" logo's, which combined with the grid view feature already in GameEx, albeit tweaked by you, creates something completely unique to GameEx.

The scope of this project is enormous, so there's no doubt this will be a long term project, it'll take people poking at it with their free time (something I currently don't have) many, many moons. 

As a suggestion, unless someone is specifically motivated on a particular system, I believe it may be a good idea to concentrate on achieving a complete set of say the arcade stuff first, especially since that one is already pretty well in progress.

The database and spreadsheet method used on the developer logo project seems almost a must for this to have any chance of measurable success, else there could be much duplication.  

Do we have a database of sorts to create such a list of games?

My contributions to the last logo project were a direct result of finding good source material, nothing else.  My background in the graphics industry was on the conventional side during the time MAC's entered the scene, and eventually dominated the pre-press duties.  As such, I'm not a good clean up guy, and I suspect there are many like me.  So I have to agree that some individuals sourcing and others finalizing would go a long way to manage a project of this size.

Something to think about anyway.

• Like 2

Well said!

It was this comment in the Gameex 14.46 thread that prompted me to point this out here before it might become an issue:

"Okay thanks.  Sorry if I am being holy about it but I need to make sure I am not ripping off HS. I am just an ethical guy.

Cheers.

Tom"

Personally I do not think there should be any concern, but I'm also sensitive to "stepping on toes" as well.

No one wants that sort of headache.

I believe your explanation clears things up proper, moving on ;-)

Upwards and Onwards...

As for the question, we will be leveraging the contents of the GameEx databases as our data source for all systems. Some will be more complete than others. We'll work around it.

Well. I need to be honest. We need to be careful not to co-construct drama. Share is what I say. Other front end users should be welcome to access the developer logos project and vice versa. Its this kinda propreitry nonsense that is the worst of human nature and I wouldnt even accept the invite to the tea party. There are 1 or 2 dicks in this hobby who use it as their own sad little power play, but lets just ignore them.

If you find game logos anywhere and they are not formally copyrighted, upload them to this project.

tthurman, as posts above, gamesetmatch was designed to make the whole process easier so id sat forget any spreadsheets. Draco, I still propose that we have a "Base" set and then derive other sets from this, eg. Resized. Larger logos will make for better future proofing. You have seen those 300x100 marquees, right!? Also, running gameesetmatch shows you which roms dont have images and you can export the list. Id urge you all to at least have a look at it.

• Like 1

I think we've always been a sharing community stigz, and as a whole most of the community is.  Any member here can grab the dev logo's off the ftp.  There will always be those that are exceptions to that rule, being a bit sensitive to that in an effort not to fuel the fire, seems at least a bit warranted, don't you think:)

Admittedly, while I did read your post about game, set and match, I've not had time to kick the tires, but still someone has cleanup duty, right?  Ahem, I have a sneaky suspicion that you already broke your rule from a few weeks back:lol:

• Like 1

Naw. Not this community, mr t. I was meaning sharing between fe communities. I know were all good here. Lol and sorry. But there really are some dicks on other communities who are all "me, me, I..." possesive and basically damage the progression of the scene just to fuel their ego. They are few but deserve honourable mention because they can be so destructive. Thus I name them for what they are and urge that they are ignored and dont affect creativity.

Broke my own rule? Probably. Im fickle like that. ;) But I am interested now -  what rule? Ill merge the 3 game logo sets on the ftp and get them uploaded to the Live Collaborative folder. Ill also export the "need" list.i know it is really difficult to find the time, but I wouldnt be so forthright if I didnt believe it was in the interests of the project or if it wouldnt make things easier in the long run.