All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PBX Recorder - captures Playfield, Backglass and DMD videos and images

On 1/8/2019 at 2:11 AM, hawkeyez88 said:

Is there a way to make this delay a few seconds longer? Works great for vpx - but other systems take a little longer to load. If this is posted somewhere else, I apologize. 

A minute's not long enough?

Anyways, for anyone interested / still using pbx recorder here's an updated script / exe with a couple of extra options to output playfield @1920*1080 (for 4k users who either want to save space or gain a little performance [this also speeds up playfield image snapshots for table loading images if you're using that option]), and optional output as yuv420p which may also help with perf ( https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/20809-266-here-hardware-accelerated-video-rendering/?do=findComment&comment=178204). @gtxjoe / @Carny_Priesthope you don't mind me posting here, will delete if you wish!

PBXrecorder.zip

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi,

There are scripts files in the folder "AHK Script", but I tried to modify them and there is no effect !      I think scripts are compiled into PBXRecorder.exe.

Reading the script I saw that the videos are first saved in mkv format, then converted to mp4. The conversion is very long. Is it possible to convert directly to mp4 (I think a powerful machine can) ?

Thank you for this good tool,

2 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

After modifying the .ahk file, you need to compile them again. The new exe file is able to run your modified commands

Thank You !

I do not know AutoHotKey and it's really good. I will adapt the script for my use, and check the version 1.7 of scutters (script file in this forum post).

I had problems with PinballX for converting screens to videos. But I found the solution: my version of ffmpeg was too recent (2019-09). I used the same version as that provided in the PBXRecorder package (2015-11) and it works!

Before finding this solution, I updated the PBXRecorder package to 1.8!
Here are the evolutions for those interested:

• Add option for record videos directly on disk, without conversion after
  • Add option for get or not wheel images at PinballX FTP
  • Correction : the option for reduce playfield video to 1920x1080 was not perfect : the first record in .mkv, before last conversion in .mp4/.f4v, did not reduce to 1920x1080
  • Forms in steps configuration are pre-filled
  • Add option for record audio in the playfield videos
  • Get all XML databases files of PinballX (systems and lists)

Installation : get the previous full version of PBXRecorder (1.6 with ffmpeg.exe), decompress, and copy new files of version 1.8 into the previous installation folder

PBXRecorder_x64_v1.8.zip

• Thanks 1

@jejegameex

Thanks mate, plenty of changes and fixed my dodgy 1920x1080 code! :)

I am trying to switch to the inbuilt pinballx video creation instead of pbxrecorder but i'll give this version a go when i get chance.

For info, what issues did you have with the later version of ffmpeg, errors or just unusable output?

• 1 month later...

Hi, here is an update to PBXRecorder in 1.9:
this version kills the PinUpPlayer processes (PinUpPlayer.exe and PinUpDisplay.exe) after each table capture.

Installation : get the previous full version of PBXRecorder (1.6 with ffmpeg.exe), decompress, and copy new files of version 1.9 into the previous installation folder.

Remark : launch the program is administrator mode if process (like VisualPinball.exe or B2S.exe) are not killed.

Other remark : prefer the use of the PinballX integration function if it works.

PBXRecorder_x64_1.9.zip

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I don't know if this will already be possible in this new version.
In the case of not being possible, it would be great to be able to add it.
PBXRecorder always uses Visual Pinball.xml database
So if we have several systems based on Visual Pinball, we must first add that table to that database and then go to find the media in the Visual Pinball media folders to move them to the corresponding system and then remove that table again. from the Visual Pinball database.
IF we could select the database (VPinball Kids, VPinball Classics, Taito Pinball ...) and have the socks saved in the correct system, it would be really great.

-----------------------------

No sé si esto ya será posible en esta nueva versión.
En el caso de no ser posible, sería genial poder añadirlo.
PBXRecorder siempre usa la database Visual Pinball.xml
Por lo que si tenemos varios sistemas basados en Visual Pinball hay que añadir antes esa mesa a esa database y posteriormente ir a buscar las medias a las carpetas de medias de Visual Pinball para moverlas a las del sistema que corresponden y posteriormente volver a quitar esa mesa de la database de Visual Pinball.
SI pudieramos seleccionar la database (VPinball Kids, VPinball Classics, Taito Pinball...) y que las medias se guardasen en el sistema correcto, sería realmente fantástico.

1 hour ago, PcTeknic said:

I don't know if this will already be possible in this new version.
In the case of not being possible, it would be great to be able to add it.
PBXRecorder always uses Visual Pinball.xml database
So if we have several systems based on Visual Pinball, we must first add that table to that database and then go to find the media in the Visual Pinball media folders to move them to the corresponding system and then remove that table again. from the Visual Pinball database.
IF we could select the database (VPinball Kids, VPinball Classics, Taito Pinball ...) and have the socks saved in the correct system, it would be really great.

-----------------------------

No sé si esto ya será posible en esta nueva versión.
En el caso de no ser posible, sería genial poder añadirlo.
PBXRecorder siempre usa la database Visual Pinball.xml
Por lo que si tenemos varios sistemas basados en Visual Pinball hay que añadir antes esa mesa a esa database y posteriormente ir a buscar las medias a las carpetas de medias de Visual Pinball para moverlas a las del sistema que corresponden y posteriormente volver a quitar esa mesa de la database de Visual Pinball.
SI pudieramos seleccionar la database (VPinball Kids, VPinball Classics, Taito Pinball...) y que las medias se guardasen en el sistema correcto, sería realmente fantástico.

Not sure i understand correctly, but i have two VP systems in other systems and PBX Recorder has always recorded the media for both (loops through one system and then the other). Are you setting the System Type to Visual Pinball for the other systems?

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2020 at 5:28 PM, jejegameex said:

Hi, here is an update to PBXRecorder in 1.9:
this version kills the PinUpPlayer processes (PinUpPlayer.exe and PinUpDisplay.exe) after each table capture.

Installation : get the previous full version of PBXRecorder (1.6 with ffmpeg.exe), decompress, and copy new files of version 1.9 into the previous installation folder.

Remark : launch the program is administrator mode if process (like VisualPinball.exe or B2S.exe) are not killed.

Other remark : prefer the use of the PinballX integration function if it works.

PBXRecorder_x64_1.9.zip 536.39 kB · 47 downloads

This would be perfect if I could either specify the screen dimensions independently of screenres, or... allow using an alternate screenres other than the one thats in Visual Pinball X.  Here's why...

I have a FullDMD, but.. most ROM games use a 4:1 DMD.  So, I create PuP Pack underlays to fill up the screen.  Problem is, the program only captures images/videos for the 4:1 DMD defined in screenres.txt and not the full DMD image.  If I specify the dimensions for the fullDMD in screenres.txt, the DMD will be stretched.

Is the source code for this available somewhere?  I might be able to make a new version.

1 hour ago, MrGrynch said:

Is the source code for this available somewhere?  I might be able to make a new version.

The source is in the AHK Script folder of the download, it's auto hot key script. I don't know ahk and i messed up the last time i touched it so don't ask me for help! @jejegameexis your man.

That said i guess it would be a fairly simple 'personal' patch to hardcode it to point it at a different screenres file and then recompile it for your own use. If you wanted to make a V2.0 with flexibility built in then i guess that's where things would become a bit more complex.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrGrynch said:

This would be perfect if I could either specify the screen dimensions independently of screenres, or... allow using an alternate screenres other than the one thats in Visual Pinball X.  Here's why...

I have a FullDMD, but.. most ROM games use a 4:1 DMD.  So, I create PuP Pack underlays to fill up the screen.  Problem is, the program only captures images/videos for the 4:1 DMD defined in screenres.txt and not the full DMD image.  If I specify the dimensions for the fullDMD in screenres.txt, the DMD will be stretched.

Yes the code is in the folder AHK scripts : install AutoHotKey for edit and compile. It's an easy language.
What is the size (width/height) of your full DMD in the modified screenres.txt ? And the size of the result video (play video outside PinballX) ? Maybe the config of PinballX must be changed too.

28 minutes ago, jejegameex said:

Yes the code is in the folder AHK scripts : install AutoHotKey for edit and compile. It's an easy language.
What is the size (width/height) of your full DMD in the modified screenres.txt ? And the size of the result video (play video outside PinballX) ? Maybe the config of PinballX must be changed too.

My PinballX is all set to handle the FullDMD specs.

I managed to modify the AHK script to look for a local screenres.txt file first.  If not found, it looks in the table folder.  If not found it uses the existing defaults.  This allowed me to specify my exact DMD specifications without impacting my tables, and now all of the screen grabs look perfect!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Using 1.9 - if I do the dmd/bg/table videos all in one go, windows file folder cant figure out the thumbnail previews. If I do the dmd/bg first and then just the tables, the thumbnails work just fine in file explorer.  This issue usually comes down to the codec being used. I found that I had to use the yuv420p (make sense) but I also needed the direct to mp4 check box. The problem only happens when I try to do all 3 in one go. Thoughts on this?
I will look thru the ahk and see if anything pops out at me.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, derwin said:

Using 1.9 - if I do the dmd/bg/table videos all in one go, windows file folder cant figure out the thumbnail previews. If I do the dmd/bg first and then just the tables, the thumbnails work just fine in file explorer.  This issue usually comes down to the codec being used. I found that I had to use the yuv420p (make sense) but I also needed the direct to mp4 check box. The problem only happens when I try to do all 3 in one go. Thoughts on this?
I will look thru the ahk and see if anything pops out at me.

Hi, you have error on images or videos ?
With all 3 in one configuration, what the screenshots or videos look like ? Are they black or unreadable?
Are the tables fully loaded before recording?
Direct to mp4 is an option for encode directly during recording : it saves time, but the quality is slightly worse. I created this version of PBXRecorder for that (for save time).
I don't use yuv420p.
The version of FFMPEG I use : N-76648 (2015)

• 5 months later...

Apparently the latest version of ffmpeg grabs the screen at a lower level, so should now be able to record future pinball media too.

I don't have FP loaded anymore, but if someone wants to try it then please let us know / confirm if it works ok with pbxrecorder (you will need to amend the ahk script to pick up FP systems as well as VP)

Hi,

In the past I captured my screens for my pinballx frontend with PBXRecorder. For some reasons it doesn't work any more (I already removed the comment lines in screenres.txt)

used Gamemanager instead and videos where recorded, but:

the are rotated 180 !! Upside down on my cab ...

MY WISH:

COULD YOU PLEASE ADD A PARAMETER (IN THE SETTINGS) FOR ROTATION WHEN RECORDING (0, 90, 180, 270)

WOULD BE REALLY GREAT

Thanks in advance

Martin

12 hours ago, MDienstl said:

the are rotated 180 !! Upside down on my cab ...

You wouldn't be running a 'flipped' orientation in windows would you?. Think i had similar issues with my old screen before changing it and swapping the screens orientation round at the same time.

12 hours ago, MDienstl said:

In the past I captured my screens for my pinballx frontend with PBXRecorder. For some reasons it doesn't work any more (I already removed the comment lines in screenres.txt)

Can you post your screenres.txt and pbxrecorder log file in the pbxrecorder thread?, might be something someone can fix in the ahk script.

For anyone having problems using pbxrecorder after updating the B2S Backglass program to the newest version please see this comment about removing comments from screenres.txt - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33552&p=512834

Sounds like the pbxrecorder ahk script will need updating to ignore the comment lines as a proper fix

• Like 2

• Draco1962 changed the title to PBX Recorder - captures Playfield, Backglass and DMD videos and images
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 6:14 AM, scutters said:

For anyone having problems using pbxrecorder after updating the B2S Backglass program to the newest version please see this comment about removing comments from screenres.txt - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33552&p=512834

Sounds like the pbxrecorder ahk script will need updating to ignore the comment lines as a proper fix

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This had been driving me nuts for days. PBX Recorder works like a charm again. Awesome!