All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] SSF Black Screen issue

uberpubert69

I'm trying to play my Sega Saturn games but whenever I load SSF the game mounts and loads up fine, it just has a black screen and I can't play even though I can hear the audio of the game running in the background. When I switch from fullscreen to windowed mode I can see the game for a split second. I had this problem before and I fixed it by changing a setting within SSF apparently from what I remember its a bug of some sort. I erased my settings to default and it still doesn't work. I can't remember where I found the fix and I've been searching all over. Any help would be appreciated if anyone knows this issue. I'm on  v0.12 b4 btw

SSF.ini

GameEx.ini

log.txt

It's been years since I've even tampered with this emulator so I don't know how much help I can provide unless I do some troubleshooting.  Have you thought about trying to use another emulator?  According to NonMAME, RetroArch is tested to be a better emulator than SSF.  I always used this source as to which emulator to use when setting up GameEx.  If that is not the route you want to take then give me some time to figure it out. 

Note:  I just dug this up and started it up and for me it loaded right away with defaults.  So it something on your setup that is causing this.  Let's do some troubleshooting.

I updated the first post with my logs.

On 2/26/2016 at 10:25 AM, fRequEnCy said:

It's been years since I've even tampered with this emulator so I don't know how much help I can provide unless I do some troubleshooting.  Have you thought about trying to use another emulator?  According to NonMAME, RetroArch is tested to be a better emulator than SSF.  I always used this source as to which emulator to use when setting up GameEx.  If that is not the route you want to take then give me some time to figure it out. 

Note:  I just dug this up and started it up and for me it loaded right away with defaults.  So it something on your setup that is causing this.  Let's do some troubleshooting.

If that's true I'd like some help getting retroarch set up in GameEx. This is the command

retroarch -L /path/to/libretro/core.so game.rom

but I wasn't able to get it to work.

6 minutes ago, uberpubert69 said:

retroarch -L /path/to/libretro/core.so game.rom

If "so game" really has spaces in the name (which is entirely likely under most naming conventions), you'll need to enclose that path in double quotes.  You're also using UNIX style path separators rather than Windows, and there's no drive letter specified (which again might work under Linux, but not so much under Windows).  So uh yeah ... this command is pretty FUBAR at the moment.  :)  If you're using custom configs in RetroArch (which I think most people are?) your command should look something like this:

retroarch.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -c "x:\path\to\config\name_of_config.cfg" -f 

There may be some specific factors to consider when launching your Saturn core through RetroArch, but the above command does work for a great many emulators under RetroArch.

• Like 1

So I just tried the Yabause core of RetroArch and it runs horribly. I have to have frameskip on just to get decent frames on Castlevania SotN. idk if theres something that needs to be setup. Does RetroArch take the Saturn BIOS somewhere?

On 2/26/2016 at 10:25 AM, fRequEnCy said:

NonMAME also says reicast core is better than my NullDC setup and it definitely isn't. Most games run awfully or crash. But maybe I'm doing something wrong on my end. :/

You'll have to do some research, but you can indeed plug in the system bios. I don't use RA for Saturn though, so I won't be much more helpful than that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adultery said:

You'll have to do some research, but you can indeed plug in the system bios. I don't use RA for Saturn though, so I won't be much more helpful than that.

I figured it out fairly quickly. But tbh the framerate seems to be worse with the bios than without. It seems that SSF is still the only viable option I have. I just need to get it working again.

To anyone who has this issue, this is a known issue for v0.12 R4. There's a way around it, though I forget what I did to fix it last time. I ended up just going to the home page of SSF and downloaded the "Test" version here http://www.geocities.jp/mj3kj8o5/ssf/files/SSF_TestVer.zip

You'll have black screen on full screen on this but you can fix it with these settings in my screenie

settings.png

Edited by uberpubert69
found fix
  • Like 2