All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinKadia! The Ultimate virtual Pinball / Arcade / PC combo cabinet!

TerryRed

4 minutes ago, tthurman said:

Just noticed this, as it messed with me for a bit.  Your video is starting at the 13:07 mark, which is something I catch myself doing frequently while rewatching something as I'm posting about it.  Just a heads up.

Caught and fixed...thanks.

:o

Well being the complete Star Wars Junkie that I am, what can I say other than I absolutely love it!  Every lighting effect seems so precise and spot on that it really makes the commercially available cabinets look somewhat lacking.  From what I've been exposed to in this hobby, with you configuration helm, Pinkadia pretty much represents the state of the art of virtual pinball! 

• Like 1

Since I haven't really done any FX2 videos for DOFLinx, I think the new release of 5.20 which supports addressable leds makes this a good reason to have a video demonstration.

DOFLinx is part of the complete cabinet experience for Pinball FX2!

-addressable leds

-B2S active backglass

-full DOF feedback and lighting support

Add in freezy's dmdext for virtual DMD (clean round dots) or real DMD support

• Like 1

Retroflair: DOFLinx MX Cabinet Edition

Wipeout: DOFLinx MX Cabinet Edition

Witness a modern light show in a retro theme, thanks to the new DOF addressable led MX support in DOFLinx 5.20!

A video demonstration in my cabinet can be seen here:

These tables have the complete cabinet feedback and lighting support for the following:

- 10 solenoids for flipper, slingshots, bumpers, etc..
- 5 RGB flashers
- Blower Fan
- Shaker
- Gear motor
- Strobe
- Beacon
- Start button
- Coin button
- Launch Ball button

- RGB Undercab Lighting
- Addressable leds

I also explain how DOFLinx's  new AUTO MX feature works.

If Terry is like me, he probably hasn't kept detailed records as this has progressed.  I know from my experience that a lot of it consisted of things I already had on hand, which are harder to value.  Then you got the impulse decisions to move in an entirely previously unplanned direction, which gets bought and installed (or in my case stacked in the corner and waits to be used) without consideration of documenting price.  You can see how that's played  out in this thread, as Terry has added and improved all along the way.  I think in most build cases that you get wrapped up in the process, and don't think so much about what it's costing during the process, and considering how much you dump into it, that's probably a good thing.

The commercial cabs seem to start in the 3-4k range, and like anything else, increase dramatically with upgrades.  Terry's rig is decked out so my guess is a rig like his is going to go more in the 7-8k range on a commercially available unit.

You can sort of get an idea from these sites for your side of the pond.

http://www.bespoke-arcades.co.uk/king-pin-virtual-pinball-cabinet

http://www.kase-eo.co.uk/files_8973986450920897409162_files/pinball.htm

This is obviously only my opinion and best guess from following this stuff for the last couple of years.

Then there is the time investment of putting it all together, acquiring and configuring the software, upgrading and reconfiguring the software, upgrading and reconfiguring the software... what price do you put on that? :blink:

I'm really considering doing something like this. Money isn't too much of an issue at the moment. Got to sell of a few 5960x cpu's which are a couple of grand together, I'll get 40% of the sale (got these from an auction where a companies stock was sold off so we bought them), this can add to the build cost.

I've got a few outhouses on my property and I have been thinking of doing these up and setting up a games room in there. I've already emptied them. Just need new plaster work and a lick of paint and they should be good to go.

44 minutes ago, KRC said:

I've got a few outhouses on my property and I have been thinking of doing these up and setting up a games room in there. I've already emptied them. Just need new plaster work and a lick of paint and they should be good to go.

Outhouses? Won't they be a bit small for arcade or pincabs?

3-outhouse-plans-and-ideas-for-the-homes

• Haha 1

Like tthurman said....   when I first built this 2 years ago, my objective was to build as cheap as I could, using stuff I already had. So I already had most of the pc gear, and I already had the screens.

Never thought I would go the DOF or controlled lighting route...but as time went on, I added a new thing on bit by bit as I could afford it.

So....yah when people ask how much does it cost....my honest answer is.... "I don't know."

The build time is much much smaller compared to the software time you put in.

Finally, my new screen has come in. Upgraded to a 43 inch 4K TV, and it looks beautiful. Everything is crisp and clean and smooth, no lag. Here's an updated video of the Gameroom and TerryRed Studios.....  ;)

• Like 1

Very cool behind the scenes look at the TerryRed VirtuaSim Zone (hey, At least I didn't use man cave):)

I always wondered how you managed to pull off the play-field recording, but figured it was something along those lines, you kind of get an idea from the sharpness loss due to the off axis viewing angle.

6 hours ago, tthurman said:

Very cool behind the scenes look at the TerryRed VirtuaSim Zone (hey, At least I didn't use man cave):)

I always wondered how you managed to pull off the play-field recording, but figured it was something along those lines, you kind of get an idea from the sharpness loss due to the off axis viewing angle.

Yah, I'm actually recording 5 videos at the same time. OBS records a video for the playfield, backglass, topper, dmd and the camcorder records the real cabinet.  I play the game with the speakers turned all the way down, so all I hear of the feedback from the cabinet.   Then I have to edit it all and sync it up to match afterward.   Sadly with LCD Led screens the viewing angles aren't the best from that view.  It would probably be worse if I had a playfield glass installed..