All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] 12.43 update is looping

u-man

Hi Tom,

just wanted to inform you, that this and the last update, lead to the "looping-update" bug on my side. So the automatic-update, didnt work for me, only the manual update :) , but that without any problems ;) .

The "looping-update" is typically caused by an after installed movement of the GameEx folders. When initially installed, GameEx stores it's installation information in the registry and various support files in the GameEx folder. If you decide to move this folder to say another drive, the installation will still WORK, but updating requires uninstalling the current install and re-installing fresh in the new location. If not done, the "update" simply reinstalls GameEx to the old path (while keeping your existing "moved" install un-updated. After updating, if you continue to launch from the old path/files, you'll constantly be getting the update required notifications. I've reported this many times, and have made attempts to get it fixed, but it looks like the problem is fundamental an un-addressable. If you have done this, that's your problem.

• Like 1

You can keep your setting and things. Just manually download the installer and make sure you install it to the same path you currently have it installed in, rather than let it automatically install in the folder it thinks it's in. You might have to uninstall the old version (in the original path) to fix it for future updates.

It has been my experience, except in very rare instances where Tom has verified a problem with the update package, that downloading the latest version and performing the manual install will resolve the looping update issue.

• Like 1

Ok, i did exactly this: manual download and install of GameEx, but my question is still, judging the comments from hansolo77, did really all went well or are now some files left, that where not updated? I mean the "loop" is gone, but is my software really uptodate ?