All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Best Visual Pinball version for the total newb

Draco1962

I have a Virtua Pin Mini cab with 3 screens. My stats are below:

OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
CPU - Ivy Bridge Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory - x2 8GBCorsair DDR3 PC3-12800J (800 MHz) for 16 GB total
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LK
Storage - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Monitor 1 (Playfield 27 inch) - BenQ GW2750H 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Monitor 2 (Backglass 23 inch) - Acer S231HL 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Monitor 3 (DMD USB Monitor - 7 inch ) - MYMO NAV0010
Controls - VirtuaPin Digital Plunger v2
Additional Software - X360ce
As most of you already know, I am relatively new to digital pinball. I am presently running integrated Pinball FX2 and Pinball Arcade. I want to venture in the near term to Visual Pinball.
This is where I am a little torn. I know that there are a few versions out that have some great tables. I am not one that has to collect every table that has been created. I am looking for the best and easiest version to setup for the newbie that is going to offer the best compatibility with Win 10 as well as later DirectX versions where applicable, not to mention work with my kit (tables designed for cabinet use and multiple monitor support - preferably 3).
I have seen several different tutorials but being not so familiar with the software and reading until my eyes began to bleed, I am no where closer to making a decision as to where I should begin. While I like the older historical tables, I find that I am more drawn to the newer tables made within the last decade or so (Walking Dead anyone?).
So, I am posing this to the members the PinballX forums for your feedback on the best tutorial for the best VP version to start for the novice.

If you want to play TWD and you have a plunger then you must use a modified VP. TWD is not yet supported in VP9 or VP10.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30971

and you will have to get your support at VPUniverse rather than VPForums. VPUniverse is where I host my Visual PinMAME builds that support the official Stern TWD code. The game code itself is also hosted at VPUniverse or you can get it at Stern.

You will also need the DirectX 9 runtime unless you have it installed already.

I think gtxjoe, a member here, has several video tutorials that are fairly up-to-date on YouTube. I have not viewed them myself, but that's where folks new to Visual Pinball often get directed.

this is a good post to follow, im in the same boat. Venturing from mame to pinball. Have a cab with 3 screens, and feeling overwhelmed between so many versions of everything. Its not like mame with a organized system of roms for games. Anyways, i too am interested in which direction i should be digging to not waste time. I would like as many tables as possible, that are playable and minimally glitch. I understand the work behind it, ive put hours thus far into adding 200 future pinball tables, and now starting on visual pinball. Im going to have a dmd, either lcd or real dmd, thats to be decided, but other wise the normal lcd for table and backglass. I see so many different versions of games such as plunger versions, and such. I plugged my HDD with pinballx and what i did so far into my buddies cab thats rigged up, and most of the games by default just worked with his ultrapin set up. I just would like to know what the best way to go about creating the best up to date list would be. I obtained a full clean table set for visual pinball with just about everything in it up until mid 2015. I started literally just going one by one, to make sure all libraries are added, games work, names proper, etc. But a question for the pros.. for another newbie with pincab, whats the golden standards and where would u start and work towards starting fresh..Are there particular people known for their tables? is it correct to assume newest versions are the best? Even more so, i have a digital plunger kit, and a force feedback kit. I see some tables come with ledwiz files, or have some sort of files to feed into those external peripherals to do things for the pincab. And as far as dmds... some tables have "dmd table version" and such.. whats the deal with table versions specific to external processes? Considering what i have to work with, what would YOU do to make the ultimate pintable.

I have-

ultracade pin cabinet empty

32 lcd screen vertical for table

28" lcd for back glass

soon to be either real dmd or an lcd screen for 3rd monitor

pinball wizard key encoder setup and force feedback/tilt pcb

lock bar with force feedback solenoids