All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APPLICATION] Launcher-X

Adultery

launcherx.png

Launcher-X
-1.0.3-

post-680-0-63294200-1453617484_thumb.png post-680-0-41658600-1453617485_thumb.png post-680-0-94835300-1453617485_thumb.png

What is it?

A simple EXE that is made to be launched instead of GameEx or PinballX on Windows startup for folks that don't use Instant Sheller and still use their dedicated gaming machine as a PC from time to time. There are some customizable features, you can launch setup apps from within it, and it supports some command line arguments.

How do I use it?

Click on the EXE, set it to launch on startup or set a command line to run.

WINDOWS 7-10 USERS: Couldn't be easier to get it going! Simply make a shortcut to Launcher-X and drop it in the START>Startup folder and the EXE will launch after Windows boots up.

You can also specify command-line arguments like so:
LauncherX.exe -timer 60 -gameex

LauncherX.exe -timer 30 -pinballx

-Timer {value}

Set the value to whatever you'd like for the timer to be in seconds.

-GameEx

Launch GameEx directly.

-PinballX

Launch PinballX directly.

-Reset

Rest all user-defined settings back to their original state.

-Debug

Toggle debug mode.

What does it do?

The EXE launches GameEx or PinballX after a user defined number of seconds, or aborts if EXIT is pressed. Switch between either front-end by pressing the logo button, and the launcher will remember your choice next time you boot it up.
You can set it to launch in GameEx Login mode, GameEx Lite, PinballX Lite or many of the setup utilities included in GameEx/PinballX (ie Setup Wizard, Plugin/Repository Manager, and the PinballX Game Manager) and returns you to the timer screen afterwards. There is also a pause button next to the progress bar if you have an update, something you want to do quick, or your system is slower than normal to load and you need a little extra time.

Wow that's super easy! What if I find a bug?

Report it here! ;)

Any questions? Ask away. Feel free to offer suggestions on how I can make it better. :)

Download it from the GameEx Community Download Portal!

NOTES:

GameExLaunch is dead. Long live GameExLaunch! :D
This is a complete reboot of that app. I've removed the download links and would appreesh if anyone who was using the old version would switch to this nicer, cleaner, prettier, more efficient version.

Shouts to Draco1962 for the header logo and the suggestions. :)

CHANGELOG:

• Added new Launcher-X Enabler app to add a value to the Windows registry to make it launch with Windows no matter where it's installed
  • Remove the registry entry by running the enabler again
  • Various bug fixes

• Resetting a config to default now also removes the installation path for that app
  • Tweaked app detection so it won't try to launch an app after you remove the path
  • Added an icon to the main page to pin the launcher (launcher will always be on top of other windows)
  • Added a JumpStart option, which when enabled, clicking on the progress bar will launch your selected app instantly
  • Added Shell Execute to the sub-apps (to prompt for elevation when it's required for things like Setup Wizard). This will keep you from having to use elevated permissions for the launcher which should not require them in most cases.
  • Added "Launcher-X Options" section to the App Settings screen for debug, keep on top, and JumpStart features. These options are available in both app setup screens but only keep one global value (so there's more or less two places to access the same options)
  • A couple other minor tweaks to the code

• Fixed a bug where app wasn't detecting PinballX by default if GameEx wasn't installed
  • Add debug option to GameEx and PinballX settings
  • Added logging
  • Added debug logging
  • Added -debug command-line switch

• Initial Launch
  • Like 6

The app defaults to GameEx? What happens when the timer runs out? It may well be a cosmetic thing since you don't appear to have GameEx set up at all.

I'll look at it though in the mean time.

Yes, you should/could. The issue was that I forgot to check which app you had set when it launched so it wasn't displaying the proper message in the timer dialog although it would still launch PinballX properly, but this has been fixed. I have both on my dev machine so I missed that, my bad. B)

Updated to 1.0.1:

• Fixed a bug where app launch message wasn't detecting PinballX by default if GameEx wasn't installed
  • Add debug option to GameEx and PinballX settings
  • Added logging
  • Added debug logging
  • Added -debug command-line switch
  • Like 1

I recieved the following .NET Framework error after setting PinballX as the default startup program:

See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box. ************** Exception Text **************System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-2' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.Parameter name: Value   at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar.set_Value(Int32 value)   at LauncherX.Main.Main_Timer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)  ************** Loaded Assemblies **************mscorlib    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1063.1 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll----------------------------------------LauncherX    Assembly Version: 1.0.5869.34668    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Michael/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start%20Menu/Programs/Startup/LauncherX.exe----------------------------------------Microsoft.VisualBasic    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 14.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll----------------------------------------System    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll----------------------------------------System.Core    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll----------------------------------------System.Windows.Forms    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll----------------------------------------System.Drawing    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll----------------------------------------System.Runtime.Remoting    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll----------------------------------------System.Xml    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll----------------------------------------System.Configuration    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll---------------------------------------- ************** JIT Debugging **************To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for thisapplication or computer (machine.config) must have thejitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.The application must also be compiled with debuggingenabled. For example: <configuration>    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /></configuration> When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exceptionwill be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computerrather than be handled by this dialog box.
Here are my files:
Initially I did not see the splash prompt indicating that the program requires elevation, but I did on the 3rd attempt, so I set it to Run as administrator. It now launches as anticipated when manually launching the program. I will test again following a restart to confirm no further issues, however, I doubt that there will be.

That JIT is saying it doesn't like a value it's getting, specifically for the progress bar. I'm not sure why you would be seeing that, unless it was a permission thing... That almost seems to me like it was trying to pass a negative number, but it needs to be a value greater than zero.

Where did you install it? I typically suggest people put it in the C: drive so it won't need you to run it as administrator. It also can't launch things that require administrative privilege without that elevation (I see this with the Setup Wizard sometimes). May just need to include that step in the install directions.

The app doesn't launch at startup at all? Hmm, it's working fine for me... Your last log looks like you paused the launch, but I assume it's because that was the last run (since as you indicated it, well, didn't run :D).

Can you try this one? This version uses the shell to execute so if it needs elevated permission for something it pops up a confirmation window.

And I know you know your beans, but just to confirm... The shortcut is here right?
%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

The app doesn't launch at startup at all? Hmm, it's working fine for me... Your last log looks like you paused the launch, but I assume it's because that was the last run (since as you indicated it, well, didn't run :D).

Can you try this one? This version uses the shell to execute so if it needs elevated permission for something it pops up a confirmation window.

And I know you know your beans, but just to confirm... The shortcut is here right?

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

That is the location of the shortcut. Here is the latest log after installing the latest build. Still no startup joy :(

log.txt

But it launches PinballX if you launch the app manually?

Also, do you have Fast Startup enabled? Or Hybrid Sleep?

Sorry to do this to ya, but I added some more improvements. Hate to do two releases in one day but my wife is pissed at me (for no reason as usual, LOL) so I had some free time. :)

Here's what's new:

Updated to 1.0.2:

• Resetting a config to default now also removes the installation path for that app
  • Tweaked app detection so it won't try to launch an app after you remove the path
  • Added an icon to the main page to pin the launcher (launcher will always be on top of other windows)
  • Added a JumpStart option, which when enabled, clicking on the progress bar will launch your selected app instantly
  • Added Shell Execute to the sub-apps (to prompt for elevation when it's required for things like Setup Wizard). This will keep you from having to use elevated permissions for the launcher which should not require them in most cases.
  • Added "Launcher-X Options" section to the App Settings screen for debug, keep on top, and JumpStart features. These options are available in both app setup screens but only keep one global value (so there's more or less two places to access the same options)
  • A couple other minor tweaks to the code
  • Like 1

Still no go on my side when restarting. No update in the log.txt file either. It shows as an enabled startup process in Task Manager, but no hits showing in Event Viewer. This one has me scratching my head a little. I will provide the log file regardless but it really only shows where I pushed options.

Additionaly, the PinballX Table Manager option did not launch the Game List Manager application. Not sure if it is a naming issue for the actual application or what.

log.txt

It could be if the name changed at some point. Can you do me a solid and send me a snap of your pbx directory?

The not launching thing is annoying for sure, did you try launching the shortcut from the startup folder to see if it goes?

I can't reproduce any if these issues on either of my machines, but I know for sure that I disabled hybrid sleep and fast boot on both machines which is what leads me to believe that might be the difference.

Does it launch from a reboot if you set it up as a scheduled task?

It is listed as Game Manager.exe.

I can launch GameEx and PinballX from the Launcher-X app if I click on the shortcut. I will check the hybrid sleep and fast startup, however, that shouldn't have an impact on the app. If so, then that should be fixed as those are enabled by default in Win 10 and will result in slower start times.

EDIT: Disabled both, still the same results, will not launch on Startup or Restart. :( I will try as a scheduled task next.

It's a Windows thing, not an app problem. There are similar reports of this behavior on the interwebz. ;)

If you'd like to confirm that, put something else like a bat file in the same folder and see if it launches when you start up your computer.

I have the same exe in my PinballX folder and the table manager launches for me as expected. I'm really not sure what to make of these problems you're having, I can't fix them if I can't reproduce them. :(

Is it possible your anti virus is blocking it or something?

Is anyone else having any of these issues? I need some logs or something.

Edit: Let me know if you have any luck reproducing this with a batch file in the startup folder, try and launch notepad.exe from it or something.

I attempted the Scheduled Task and same results as the Startup attempts. I use Windows Defender and have excluded the app from being blocked even though it wasn't causing an issue with it, but still same results. I will attempt the batch file.