All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Trackball not working in mame games

bclinton

I have a small barttop machine that is driving me nuts. Windows 10 running mameui64. It has a trackball that works fine in windows, fine in gameex and fine navigating the windows when I tab out of a mame game and go to settings but will not work in game. For instance in missle command the only thing that will move the cursor is the joystick which makes it unplayable. If I hit tab in game the trackball moves the menu options up and down. I was hoping that someone could point me in a direction to look.

(Below applicable If it occurs both within Gameex and outside of Gameex when using MAME)

I cut and pasted this from MAMEWORLD, so it may not be accurate. You will most likely have to edit your settings in the MAME.ini (like Tom said above) file which should be in your MAME64 file within emulators.

You'll want to look for trackball. (I'd say just do a CRTL+F and search for it). You will either need a 1 instead of 0, to make MAME know you have it or if you see below, it says keyboard. I think you would have to change it to mouse, as it knows it as a mouse.

I'll check my own mame.ini file tonight, as my trackball works just fine. There is also a use trackball or don't use trackball option within the GameEx wizard you may want to look at.

# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS
#
paddle_device keyboard
adstick_device keyboard
pedal_device keyboard
dial_device keyboard
trackball_device keyboard
lightgun_device keyboard
positional_device keyboard
mouse_device mouse

(Below applicable If it occurs both within Gameex and outside of Gameex when using MAME)

I cut and pasted this from MAMEWORLD, so it may not be accurate. You will most likely have to edit your settings in the MAME.ini (like Tom said above) file which should be in your MAME64 file within emulators.

You'll want to look for trackball. (I'd say just do a CRTL+F and search for it). You will either need a 1 instead of 0, to make MAME know you have it or if you see below, it says keyboard. I think you would have to change it to mouse, as it knows it as a mouse.

I'll check my own mame.ini file tonight, as my trackball works just fine. There is also a use trackball or don't use trackball option within the GameEx wizard you may want to look at.

# CORE INPUT AUTOMATIC ENABLE OPTIONS

#

paddle_device keyboard

adstick_device keyboard

pedal_device keyboard

dial_device keyboard

trackball_device keyboard

lightgun_device keyboard

positional_device keyboard

mouse_device mouse

Thanks! I will try these things tonight. The help is appreciated.

Thanks! I will try these things tonight. The help is appreciated.

This is resolved. I went in and checked enable mouse support in the options/controller section of mameuifx. That seemed to only get the Y axis to work. I then deleted the .cfg file associated with each trackball game in the cfg folder. That did the trick. :)