All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

"Official" Star Wars 7 Thread (warning SPOILERS!)

hansolo77

I agree about Vader's face in the OT, but maybe that's the juxtaposition they were going for. Maybe I'm an apologist because I really, really enjoyed the movie.

Leia was bleh.

Rey: I think Rey is related to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Why you ask? Because when she touched Anakin's/Luke's Lightsaber and had her "Force dream" you could hear Obi-Wan say
"Rey, these are your first steps." It straight up gave me chills. I don't think she's Luke's kid.

Count me among those that believe that Rey is somehow Luke's offspring. I think that's the only reason the heirloom lightsaber would have "chosen" Rey over Kylo. (OT: Anyone else get a weird horcrux/wand subtext going on with that whole lightsaber "choosing" bit?). I also think Kylo's reading of her mind plays into this. He says something along the lines of, "The island, I see it too," but Rey lived on a desert planet for pretty much her whole life (or at least the part that's in her conscious memory). And yet where does she find Luke? Maybe he pulled something from her sub conscious? Maybe he just caught a glimpse of the future? Who knows.

Also to the Who fans, was anyone else pumped to see Martha Jones getting blown up in the Hosnian System? I was! (Which is to say it was nice to see her in the cameo, not that she was getting blown up)

To be honest, I think any criticism George Lucas lobs at the new film has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. "Oh what, you're disappointed that they didn't go back and alter the original films for the umpteenth time to yield the 'Dolby Enhanced 3D 4k Director's Cut with Never Before Seen 30 Seconds Of Additional Footage' version?" I have huge respect for what Lucas accomplished, but I think his capacity for iterative improvements and creative input into the series started hitting the point of diminishing returns quite a while back. It was time for new creative vision to be injected into the series, and I think the new film accomplished that. "White Slavers" indeed ... more like "Get off my lawn" :rolleyes:

To be honest, I think any criticism George Lucas lobs at the new film has to be taken with a huge grain of salt. "Oh what, you're disappointed that they didn't go back and alter the original films for the umpteenth time to yield the 'Dolby Enhanced 3D 4k Director's Cut with Never Before Seen 30 Seconds Of Additional Footage' version?" I have huge respect for what Lucas accomplished, but I think his capacity for iterative improvements and creative input into the series started hitting the point of diminishing returns quite a while back. It was time for new creative vision to be injected into the series, and I think the new film accomplished that. "White Slavers" indeed ... more like "Get off my lawn" :rolleyes:

Word :win:

Sorry about not containing my posts in the spoilers, I thought you were just doing that in the other "non-spoiler" thread. I'll hide any future posts, heck, I could have been reading this thread all along instead of constantly hitting "mark this forum as read"..... :P

Yeah. let's face it - he has been coasting a bit since 1983.....

Shame really - American Graffiti and THX1138 were also really great films.

Howard the Duck was a warning shot, Willow had at least some redeeming qualities, but from the re-releases on, it was clear his creativity had fallen victim to some sort of madness that led to rewriting his existing movies, and subjecting us to massive cgi special effects mixed with subpar scripts/acting.

Oh well, there are better things to discuss now, let the speculation begin, right? ;)

There's people saying we're all blind, but this was pretty much EXACTLY what JJ did to Star Trek as far as a reboot. Especially when you look at Into Darkness. Take an old screenplay, change some of the characters around, recast it, put in some pretty lens flares and make it a new movie. Hopefully Ep.8 will be better and not just a rehash of Empire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is that laser video they showed in the Easter egg vid. (Link to website, good read). Crazy thing is that these are laser pulses, not beams. Your actually seeing a compilation of pictures taken of different pulses, taken in such a way as to piece together the path of a single pulse, since the actual flight time of each pulse is way to fast for any high speed camera to view. But if you were able to see it this is what it would look like (in infrared). So what you're actually seeing is the pulse ionizing the air into plasma and the bright flashes are when it ionizes water vapor sprayed in its path. Think of a blaster as an energy source, capacitor and emitter with an enormous amount of energy, enough to emit a laser pulse of sufficient energy for useful weaponry. It briefly recharges before another pulse can be emitted. Cool huh?

• 5 weeks later...

Okay since it's been made clear there will be no extended cut, special edition, or what not, if you're not holding out for the 3D version, which one did you get?

After reading about them, I think the Disney version with the litho's is probably the best bet.

<edit>  The reviews at the DS seem to indicate the lithographs aren't anything special. 

Edited by tthurman

I pre-ordered from Amazon.  Didn't pay for the expedited shipping.  Got an email from Amazon on the 5th saying it had shipped.  Clicked on the tracking link and saw it was in my city already but being handed over to the post office for final delivery, expected Sunday.  Went to work and saw it sitting there on a big display ready for sale.  I was pissed.  Spent the whole day complaining about how I had PRE-ORDERED it and was going to have to wait until Sunday.  Then I get home, and it's sitting there inside a bubble envelope waiting for me to open.  :)  Only downside, it would have been cheaper to buy where I work.  Amazon sold it for $19.99, but with shipping it cost $2 more than if I bought it here.  Then again, TAX probably would have added more to it, and I probably came out ahead.  Still haven't watched it yet.

When I saw on Facebook that there were different versions out there, I was steaming.. piping hot furious.  When I was talking about the double-triple dipping as was common with Star Wars films, and the idea that whatever version you get might not include everything because it would be in another release.. I was just BS'ing.  I investigated it and learned I was correct, that it was Star Trek / Paramount that had done a multi-region with different bonus features.  So when I saw that the Star Wars 7 release was the same way, I was screaming.  How can they do that?  How can they have a special 20-minute documentary only available to Target?  And who buys from Target anyway?  LOL.  I'm waiting for it to get leaked online so I can watch it.  That just makes me mad.  I paid good money for what I got, why is it incomplete?  Would be nice if they included that documentary as a BD-Live extra, but I've actually noticed not many things even USE that technology.  And those that do, the features they offer only lasted a short time.  The only time I actually used the BD-Live was when Pottermore announced there was going to be a live-streaming commentary with Daniel Radcliffe to those with BD-Live enabled players and a copy of the Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray for Harry Potter 1.  I was able to get logged in and watch about 20 minutes of it before I had to leave for work.  THAT was pretty cool.  But they never use that tech, and those that do, like I said, either disappear/stop working or are so slow they're pointless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting.  I figured once it was out on home release, it wasn't even being shown in theaters anymore.  And to be honest, they churn out home releases a lot faster nowadays compared to years ago.  I'm still bitter that they didn't include all the bonus content they advertised would be included in the home version.  Like the actual cut scenes of the original opening that explained the current political climate and showed the liaison of Leia's going to the New Republic's home base prior to it getting destroyed with what looks like a Bothan companion.  They cut the deleted scene of the snow speeder chase too.  And what really irritated me was the advert of a full cast sit down read through on camera of the original script that was completely cut and remade into a 2-3 cast interview of it.  There was also supposed to be a 20-minute or so long documentary with John Williams about the music, and we're left with another 2-3 minute interview.  Also, where were the more traditional bonus features like Director or Cast Commentary, or a music only track?  I mean come on.. I paid good money for my copy, and I was TOTALLY let down.  I didn't even like the packaging, where the "bonus disk" was underneath the movie disc on a spindle rather than it's own holder.  Really lame.  What's worse, I was going to hold out and buy the 3D version but couldn't wait.  Now it looks like the 3D version is going to be pushed back and delayed even longer due to some mastering error, and word/rumor is, it doesn't contain anything new either.. just a 3D and 2D version of the film.  What a let down.

In other news....  I read online that Rogue One is being re-shot because Disney reviewed a rough cut of the film and deemed it too dark.  So something like 30% of the footage has to be re-shot.  That's a LOT.  Rogue One might actually get delayed till next year rather than have their Christmas release as originally slated.