All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What are the "Thumbs" Logo files used for?

RedDog

I have noticed these files in the LOGOS directory for a while, but I have not been able to figure out what they are used for. They appear to be generated by GameEx.

Anyone know how these are used by GameEx?

Thumbs_Control.png

Thumbs_Mame.png

Thumbs_More.png

Thumbs_MultiMedia.png

• 2 weeks later...

Look under \gameex\themes\THEMENAME\media\logos. The thumbs files are created by GameEx after the initial load and going through the system. I am not certain as to the purpose relative to GameEx (Tom will need to answer) but many programs that deal with images create thumbnail images as a form of displaying smaller versions of images to allow more to display at a glance (web sites that are image oriented are a good example).

Some applications may do so to confirm that particular images for a specified grouping are properly displayed. I have found them useful when creating new logos as sometimes I will miss one of the GameEx "core" images during my creation process. If I see one of the images from the Default-Default theme in the thumbnail groupings that RedDog noted in his first post, I can easily identify what I had missed.

Try using one of the other themes that has the media\logos folders (such as Smoked Glass) and then run GameEx and go through the various menu items, close, then check the folder and the thumbs should be there.

I am using a version 4 theme I have been working on for awhile.

Today I deleted the thumb files and GameEx did regenerate them on the next run (as I expected). They simply are 400x300 png files composed of 4 logo icons.

The reason I originally asked is that I noticed that aspect ratio of the png files is incorrect. I was wondering what would happen if I edited them myself and made them read only...and also, where exactly are they used because I don't recall seeing them utilized. Also, I am still poking away at a theme and wondering from that perspective.

Attached is an example of Thumbs_Mame.png, which are some of my Mame logos. They are supposed to be round.

post-1286-0-59580800-1447482130_thumb.pn

Well I couldn't get any themes to download since I was doing this on a unregistered test build, but I have checked my rig here at the house. I have the folder, but it is empty, so it must be something both of you have that I don't. I've got several themes here, but have been with Smoked Glass just about ever since Draco released it.

And you are looking under C:\GameEx\THEMES\Smoked Glass\MEDIA\LOGOS ? Odd that you do not have them, unless... willing to try something?

- Open Theme Editor and select Edit and Exisiting theme.

- Find the theme.ini under C:\GameEx\THEMES\Smoked Glass\ and double-click. This will load the theme.

- Click the Save button

Now check the folder and tell me if you see the thumbs.

This is one Tom will need to answer. I usually delete them prior to packaging my themes to upload. They do not take up much space and so I don't worry about them being there or how they look.

@Draco: Sounds good. I will wait until the great one has a chance to answer.

@tthurman: I am fairly sure you would have to choose a Version 4 theme for these logos to appear. From what I can see, it does not look like any of the default GameEx themes are Version 4.

If he chooses my theme to load in the editor, it will meet the criteria of a V4 theme. My though is that when a theme is created new or from another theme as a source, or editing an existing theme, the thumbs are probably created via Theme Editor instead of GameEx. If this is a valid assumption, it would explain why he doesn't see the thumbs my theme that he is running.

If he chooses my theme to load in the editor, it will meet the criteria of a V4 theme. My though is that when a theme is created new or from another theme as a source, or editing an existing theme, the thumbs are probably created via Theme Editor instead of GameEx. If this is a valid assumption, it would explain why he doesn't see the thumbs my theme that he is running.

Good thought. Just checked it. They definitely are created by GameEx when it first runs (if the thumbs are missing).

I could be wrong, but i believe these thumbs are created for very slow systems (seeing as GX is still compatible with very low specs) so that it doesn't grind everything to a halt when using such a system. It will display these "pre-generated" thumbs first, then load the real ones in the background. Otherwise slower systems might take 5mins or more to boot.

It's just speculation, but i've always attributed these thumbs to that reason. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it because GX continually supports much lower specs than most other programs out there.

Yes, so it does it at theme load. If you notice, it caches things like fonts, which could potentially take forever if you have hundrends of fonts. Just load any program for the first time that uses fonts (GIMP for example, after adding just one new font) and it will take significantly longer to load. The cache files i believe are intended to reduce crazy load times...

• Like 1