All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Star Wars Episode 1 : Racer

tthurman

Slightly off-topic:

When I was at my computer store shopping for parts years ago, I saw a demo machine setup, showing off Episode 1 Racer with a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick. I thought to myself "eh, why not" and gave it a shot. I was instantly hooked! I loved how the graphics looked, the game play, and the Star Wars! So within a few weeks of saving, I bought myself the joystick and the game. I loved every minute of it. Then things moved on and I got bored with it. Didn't have much use for the joystick so it went back into the closet. Then the Jump to Lightspeed expansion came out for Star Wars Galaxies MMO, and it had full Force Feedback support. So I dug it out of the closet, and the next thing I knew, I was flying around in an x-wing with my awesome joystick, feeling the G-Forces pulling the stick, the rumble of the tractor beam locks, the shocks of the lasers and torpedoes being fired. I loved it even more! Then BLAM! Fire. I saved the stick, but not the friggin power cable! I didn't even know at the time. If you've ever had a fire, you know during the "clean up before rebuild stage" you pretty much call everything lost and pick through debris and ash and crap looking for stuff to salvage. I saved the stick, and a bunch of cables, just none of them fit my stick. So I'm a very sad person now. Seeing this post reminded me of the joys I had with the game and the joystick. Ahhh memories.

Anybody know of a place I can maybe buy a replacement power cable? I'd like to at least power it up and make sure it still works. That thing wasn't cheap!

"The PC version has different cheat codes, as well as additional cut scenes for the racetracks introductions as well as an opening cinematic (scenes of which were re-created with in-game models and tracks in the N64 version). It should be noted that in the PC's opening movie, Gasgano is seen being knocked out of the Boonta Eve Classic by Sebulba, though other sources list Gasgano as having finished the race. The music is vastly superior in the PC version (it plays from the CD and is in WAV format), and the speedometer uses vector graphics instead of raster graphics in the N64 version, for a superior effect. Also, the title screen is different, and the PC version supports multiplayer over IPX, instead of multiplayer on the same platform."

I have read "unconfirmed reports" that the PC version has larger textures, as well as a blurb long ago about perhaps some upgrades not available on the consoles. I've been unable to locate this today though, but do recall reading it in the comments section of youtube video showing how to run it on Vista and 7, which ended up being via project 64.

Reporting in here, I followed the directions in the youtube video I posted, and I played several rounds of this game today.

Really cool I might add, but this is what I discovered.

I didn't need the "fix" exe, it ran just fine without it, and in fact did not do anything but crash when using the "fix" exe.

This seems to be very rig specific, and if I had to guess, it's not needed on ATI/AMD GPU's. Geez, did I just say that ;)

FTR, I didn't try this on my nvidia based rig.

Anyway, just running around the tracks was very satisfying for me! It saved my user on subsequent reinstalls while attempting to get the "fix" exe to work. This is all on WIndows 10 BTW.

I'll be trying out some of the multi patches as time allows.

• 1 year later...

"It's a new Lap Record!"

Guess what I've been playing around with the the last hour :P

....and you can too

I'm running WIndows 10 64 bit, in native 1680 x 1050 res on my 22 inch LCD, with everything maxed.  Be sure to run as administrator so your sound card works in race!

Big kudos to Sagaras for making this long awaited return to one of the greatest racing sims a reality!