All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Custom Menus Not Working

RedDog

After a reinstall of GameEx, my custom menus are not showing up properly.

A little back-story:

I set up custom menus quite a while ago and they were working great.

Last night I was troubleshooting my GameEx Online setup when GameEx.exe started crashing on launch. The log files indicated a dx error, but not enough for me to work with. So, after a reboot did not resolve it, I decided to back up my GameEx folder and reinstall GameEx over the original folder (thinking it might resolve the issue). While the reinstall did fix the crash issue, when I would run GameEx from the install folder, my custom menu setup did not show up. I rechecked the GameExMenuEditor and they were enabled. I also made a change to the menu and saved it, but to no affect.

At that point, I did notice that if I ran GameEx from the backup folder, the custom menus did work.

So then, I decided to uninstall and reinstall GameEx. After the uninstall, I rebooted, and then deleted the left over files. I then reinstalled GameEx and ran it once (in case there were any default files of config it needed to generate). I then copied over my config files (GameEX.ini, CustomMenu.ini, custominput.ini, plugins, and my Theme). When I ran GameEx again, the custom menus are still not working.

My best guess is that there is a pointer in the registry for Custom Menus that is currently pointing at the wrong folder. If someone could let me know how I might fix the issue or perform a 100% clean uninstall (so I can reinstall), I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!

I've attached my GameEX.ini, background_log.txt, log.txt, and CustomMenu.ini files just in case.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

background_log.txt

CustomMenu.ini

I took a look and I am simply not finding where there should be a problem. I was able to switch between your CustomMenu.ini and my own without a problem. I am not certain about any pointers in the registry. If you perform a complete uninstall, you may want to run ccleaner afterwards before reinstalling.

Custom Menus would be literally the last thing i would check in this scenario...

First would be paths,

Second would be commands,

Third (in my experience) would be drive allocations.

Only then would i even look at something like Custom Menu's.

Even then, if something was wrong i would create them again from scratch. Custom Menus are so easy, you can create them in minutes, especially if you've done them before.

I'm not saying you should, but in my experience you may as well, because a newly created .ini on a new system will be more reliable than a backup. That logic applies to most programs you will ever use, especially in Windows :)

Hi Dazzle. Thank for the help. I am not sure I quite understand what you mean by checking the paths, commands, and drive allocations. Even if I create a simple custom menu with only the EXIT command, that custom menu will not be displayed when Custom Menus are active. However, I did check over each of the entries in my original CustomMenu.ini file and fixed a few icons that were not connected (no change in the issue though).

OK, so I realized last night that I didn't do my last GameEx reload quite right (I forgot to run the SetupWizard after installation), so I did it again.

Anyway, after uninstalling GameEx, removing the leftover files, and running CCCleaner a few times, I have loaded GameEx (again) and added my configuration back in and from what I can tell, everything is working fine except for the Custom Menus.

Keep in mind that Draco tried my CustomMenu.ini on his PC and it came up correctly...so the file itself is valid enough to be loaded.

I did try a few other options related to menus to see how they would act:

• I set Use Flat Menus to YES. That function did place all selections on the menu root.
  • I set Use Flat Menus to NO. That function did place the selections in a tree structure.
  • Enabling Custom Menus did not override the default options for either Use Flat Menus options.
  • I did find that when I set the Interface Mode to Normal and Simple, they look the same, but I can tell when Simple is active as the arrow keys work for paging.
  • Enabling Custom Menus did not override the default options for either of the Interface Mode options.

Is there somewhere else that GameEx has some cache files hidden? I searched the AppData folder and didn't see anything obvious. Other than that and the registry, I am now out of ideas.

I've attached updated config/log files for reference as well as a screenshot of the Home menu GameEx displays (in case it helps). You can see by comparing the two images, they are quite different.

GameEx.ini

log.txt

post-1286-0-83973500-1445127448_thumb.pn

post-1286-0-54864300-1445128032_thumb.pn

CustomMenu.ini

mmmhh.... just to be sure...

did you start the "GameExMenuEditor.exe" once and enabled "Enable Custom Menus" there?

Also looking at my setup, the "GameExMenuEditor.exe" has administrative rights and i guess they are needed by the MenuEditor. Maybe it is some rights management, that is causing trouble?

mmmhh.... just to be sure...

did you start the "GameExMenuEditor.exe" once and enabled "Enable Custom Menus" there?

Also looking at my setup, the "GameExMenuEditor.exe" has administrative rights and i guess they are needed by the MenuEditor. Maybe it is some rights management, that is causing trouble?

Yes, GameExMenuEditor.exe does have admin rights and Custom Menus are enabled.

Hi RedDog

Just out of curiosity, have you tried removing the old CustomMenu.ini (backed up to another directory) and started a new one from scratch? I know that there doesn't seem to be an issue with the file itself per se, but I'm just wondering whether any custom menu is going to work on your system ATM. If we can get back to some sort of working baseline it would be progress.

• Like 1

Just to backtrack a little, did you test your custom menu using the Default - Default theme? Let's see if the issue is present using that theme.

BTW and off topic, the theme you are using looks pretty cool from the image you posted earlier.

Im having the exact same issue as Red. Never was a problem before. I have updated in the past and my custom menus worked fine. Now no matter what I do they never work after this last update.

Please provide your log.txt, gameex.ini, and custommenu.ini file. While on the surface, your issue may be the same, we have no way to know for sure without looking at these files. Since it is not happening to all using custom menus, it may not be directly a GameEx issue.

Can you all try something? Disable the option where GameEx sleeps in the background (I think it's in the GameEx Online section but I'm not sure and I can't check right now) and restart your computer, then run GameEx again and see if it works.

• Like 1

Hi RedDog

Just out of curiosity, have you tried removing the old CustomMenu.ini (backed up to another directory) and started a new one from scratch? I know that there doesn't seem to be an issue with the file itself per se, but I'm just wondering whether any custom menu is going to work on your system ATM. If we can get back to some sort of working baseline it would be progress.

Hey null.

Yes I did. I removed my file and allowed the GameExCustomMenu app generate a new one. No change in that issue.

I see others commenting on similar things. SORRY GUYS! I've done gone and infected the internets!!!!! :)

Funny enough, my menu issue started after I decided to reload after GameEx started crashing on me...so instead of upgrading from a previous version, I did do a fresh install. Now, I am not sure how GameEx performs it's upgrades, so I don't know if this observation helps or not. To see if it is a New Install issue, I will try putting GameEx 14.40 on a laptop that has never had it and see what happens with the custom menus. That should tell us something anyway.

Oddly enough, I have run into another issue (sure, why not have one more, right?), but I don't want to officially report it yet. In TS this menu issue, I decided to cycle through the views on my theme in case something somewhere might get reset. Unfortunately, I am now stuck in one view and I cannot get the Change View option to show up again so I can continue cycling. I don't know if this may be related, but I wanted to mention it. I am continuing to TS this one.

So, I installed and registered GameEx 14.40 on a brand spankin new Vista install (yeah, I know...Vista...lovely :wacko: ).

Anyway, I tried enabling the default Custom Menus to no effect. I also edited down the existing Custom Menus to a few basic choices and they would not show up when running GameEx.

Now, I should add that there are NO emulators, games, etc installed on this machine; so it may turn out that this is not a fantasic example. However, my guess is that there is something worth investigating here.

I've attached the relative files for that Vista Install.

GameEx.ini

CustomMenu.ini

log.txt

Same issue here. Custom Menu's have gone with the latest update only.

I thought it might be an opportunity to set up GameEx from scratch as my MAME was a little screwed.

I can confirm that even with a fresh install and editing the menus a little the menus do not change in GameEx itself.

Will post logs tomorrow.

Cheers

As I mentioned I did a fresh install and created a custom menu - no dice.

Attached are details and logfiles from my main install.

The favourites are all there and the emulators all still work fine. Emulators are now located under menu Emulated Games instead of my custom menu structure.

Wasn't custom menus an option only for Registered users earlier on in the development?

Perhaps it's something to do with the registration key or at least that area of the code. It seems to always be launching with default menus.

CustomMenu.ini

GameEx.ini

log.txt

post-9881-0-31109700-1445288711_thumb.pn

post-9881-0-57853600-1445288677_thumb.pn

post-9881-0-49811300-1445288671_thumb.pn

post-9881-0-75006000-1445288673_thumb.pn

I can confirm that i have the same and have replicated the same thing that these guys are experiencing. The custom menus refuse to activate for some reason.

Wasn't custom menus an option only for Registered users earlier on in the development?

Perhaps it's something to do with the registration key or at least that area of the code. It seems to always be launching with default menus.

I've been wondering this too, i have no idea how it works, but we all know that changes are afoot, may be something was knocked off kilter, or may be we're just not seeing something obvious that we should pay attention to :)

Either way i have looked at my CustomMenu.ini (and other folks in this thread) and nothing seems out of place, as far as i can tell. But i never was much of a coder ^_^

the files:

CustomMenu.ini

GameEx.ini

log.txt