All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Gameex 12.30 + Gamebase - some music files not playing

repetto74

Hi,

I have set up some gamebase packs of various games systems and the relatives music files are also set up. Within gamebase GUI music files when available will play fine but in Gameex a lot of tunes cannot be heard. I do see the music visualizer and the tune name scrolling but no sound. :ph34r:

Enclosed my Gameex settings.

Thanks

Rick

GameEx.ini.ini

log.txt

Hey Rick, 12.30 is a very old release that is no longer supported. That said, It is possible a someone with extensive gamebase knowledge could help you without updating to the current release, but it could be that this is something that was addressed in subsequent releases as well.

At this point, before attempting to troubleshoot, you will need to upgrade to the latest version. You are 10 behind the current 14.40 as tthurman noted and the further you are behind the harder it will be for us to assist.

Per the log.txt file you are 5 versions behind (14.35). Almost latest would be one behind, maybe two at a stretch, but I would still recommend upgrading to the latest so that we can ensure that there are no bugs with the current version. Thanks, Rick.

From my experience gameex plays some of the popular gamebase formats like C64-Sid Amstrad-AY anything else has to be converted to mp3. I done this with some Snes game music files I converted to mp3 and they play in the visualizer...they have to be renamed identical to the gamefile remember :)

You may want to search on the web regarding the formats. I had WinAMP installed already on my machine and seem to recall that I had to install an add-in to get the SID files to play as part of the Atari 800 gamebase. It has been a while, though, so my recall may be faulty.

@ Draco

I will upgrade to the latest build and see if fix the problem.

@ godlike

Yes all amstrad music format and SID tunes will play fine so I assume that many other formats are not compatible with gameex. Do you have a suggestion for a program to quickly convert to mp3?

It was a while ago and I converted only for my favourite games.

For Snes I followed this tutorial.

Here is one for Sega Megadrive I havent tested yet but seems to work.

Just came across this for Mame I might use later.

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=223

I also think there is software available so you can capture anything going through your soundcard and convert to wav/mp3 on window as an alternative method.

Hi GodLike,

Thanks for your tutorials. Actually there are thousands of different music files to be converted and this process will be really painfull.

@Draco

I have upgraded to the latest Gameex build and do confirm no changes. Gameex will only play SID and Mp3 files. I was wondering maybe if this can be fixed on a future Gameex release. It would be nice to have Gameex launching the dedicated music player set up for each Gamebase pack and so listen to the music tunes of a game on the fly.

Thanks,

Rick