All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Windows 10 - PinDMD2 failures

Westworld

After updating to Windows 10 I have a strange error.

Starting Windows, launching PinballX and then playing, everything works fine.

Doing an Exit and then manually launching Visual Pinball and modifying tables - PinDMD still works fine.

Now launching PinballX again, the DMD still works fine

From PinballX starting a table results in an error, PinDMD could not claim the interface.

Going back to PinballX shows that the DMD still works, but only from PinballX.

Only way to fix it is to restart the computer.

The PinballX log shows:

10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: Error. Exiting
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist.
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: bei usb_free_async(Void** )
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: bei XDMDNative.DisposePinDMD2()
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: bei XDMD.Device.UnInitPinDMD()
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: bei XDMD.Device.Dispose()
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: bei PinballX.Main.d()
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: bei PinballX.Main..ctor()
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: Disposing Plugins
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: Showing Taskbar
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: Unhiding Mouse Cursor
10:15:38.4 12.09.2015: Bye
The german message seems to be from Windows, it says (my translation, not correct wording):
It was tried to read or write into protected memory. This usually means that also other memory could be modified.
If I quit PinballX the very first time this entry is not in the log, it only happens at the 2nd try.

Hi,

thanks for the fast answer.

just to be more clear: I don't expect anybody can help as easy. If it would be a standard issue, other would have complained already.

I just thought reporting it could help if other's might have similar issues, then more information could help to track it.

The log normally don't contain this error message, even when the error happens, that's why I did not reported so far.

As I had to fight with crashes (based on a bad table name) I launched PinballX very often and always controlled the log and was finally happy to see an error there, thought it could help.

Enclosed a log when it works, a log when it fails (this time without the line about bad memory) - and a screenshot of the error message itself (PinDMD cannot claim interface).

Logs like that are reproducible for me. Restart computer - it works. Quit PinballX, launch Virtual Pinball (9.9, PM5 or X), start any table using PinDMD, quit, launch PinballX and there a table -> failure, like in the screenshot, creating a log like "logfailure.txt".

I cannot reproduce the log with the windows error about memory corruption.

thanks again.

post-29090-0-96389000-1442340858_thumb.p

logfailure.txt

logworks.txt

PinballX.ini

Thanks for the requested files. I do not run VP nor do I own a DMD so I will not be much help in trying to troubleshoot the errors you are encountering.

I am curious if you had performed an update install of Windows 10 and, if so, over what version of Windows? If you performed a new install, that may be good to know as well.

Something to try would be to go to your hardware (GPU, DMD, etc.) manufacturers' websites to see if they have updated drivers for your devices. I have an upgraded install and noticed that some applications were acting up until new software updates or hardware drivers were released following the Windows 10 release.

> I am curious if you had performed an update install of Windows 10 and, if so, over what version of Windows?

yes, update on Windows 7 Home, using the automatic update offer.

All drivers updated, all Windows Updates installed.

After Windows 10 Update PinDMD2 stopped working, as Windows overwrote the driver with something different. Reason was that the PinDMD2 drivers are not certified.

Reinstalling PinDMD2 driver also failed (silently).

Solution was to uninstall the driver, then ask Windows to show available (already on disk) drivers, select PinDMD2, confirm, reboot, working...

Currently everything works fine, except the described behavior.

Not a show blocker, normal cabinet usage works fine.

Only after installing/modifying a table, I cannot directly play via PinballX again, need to restart first.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

I just came across your post here so it appears you have been working on this for a bit. I wonder if there may be a way to refresh the driver for PinDMD2 without having to restart Windows?

You may also want to take a look at this article How Can I Install Hardware With Unsigned Drivers in Windows 8? The same should be applicable within Windows 10. Give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

If you run into any issues, please be sure to post an updated pinballx.ini and log.txt file... j/k B)

I am hopeful that the instructions do work for Win 10 as we will probably see more of this type of issue reported as more users migrate to Win 10.

• Like 2

Gotcha. It was the driver.

As PinDMD2 is using a standard libusb driver - I tried to find a certified one - and that solved the issue.

Use this driver:

http://zadig.akeo.ie/

If you check what driver is provided on www.pindmd.com you see it is a libusb driver, just without certified. The one on that site is certified.

I started it - it showed nothing in the popup.

There is a checkbox to show all, then PinDMD2 is visible.

I selected it and on the right popup "libusb"

I know - loading a driver, even certified, from an unknown page looks strange.

The recommendation was on the libusb project page itself:

http://www.libusb.org/wiki/windows_backend

PinDMD2 is now correctly recognized on Windows 10 - and I can start/exit PinballX without running into "cannot claim interface" errors. Hope this helps others...

• Like 1