All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Removing grill from backglass images

Scooby1

Hey guys,

I am testing various versions of some of my favorite tables within PinballX on my 3 monitor setup and have noticed something strange. On some tables, the backglass looks great and has no grill on it. On other tables, the backglass shows the speaker grill. I would just change the BG file to one without the speaker grill, but I can't seem to locate them. Very strange.

I know the speaker grills on the BG can be removed from within Visual Pinball, however is there a way to do this for the images in PinballX?

I have read people taking screenshots of their BG, once the table is playing. Unfortunately, I have not had success in capturing screenshots from any of my monitors.

Can anyone shed some light on if and how this might be done?

Thanks in advance!

post-29094-0-60181300-1441757646_thumb.j

post-29094-0-71126400-1441757654_thumb.j

Here is what I have done so far to fix this issue. I can't figure it out..please read and help if you can!

I have taken screenshots of the backglass from several tables in Visual Pinball. I converted them to .png files and renamed to match my table names in PinballX.

Unfortunately even after I save these new BG images in PBX, the same BG image (with speaker grill showing on BG image) appears in PBX.

I even found some BG images without the speaker grills showing that I downloaded from the FTP. I then renamed these and imported them to a few tables via the Game Manager.

I'm still getting the same BG images showing up in PBX and I'm starting to wonder if there is a setting somewhere that I need to change in order for these tables to NOT show the speaker grill in PBX.

This would be strange though, since not all of my tables do this. Most do, however.

I attached examples of files that I downloaded from the FTP (with and without speaker grills). Renaming to match (like the rest of my setup in PBX) doesn't work and I keep seeing the BG images with speaker grills.

What can I do?

post-29094-0-19594200-1441779942_thumb.p

post-29094-0-27963300-1441779943_thumb.p

post-29094-0-69200900-1441779943_thumb.p

post-29094-0-15877000-1441779944_thumb.p

Hey Scooby. So are these images of the black glass just showing the grill when you are browsing the tables inside pinballX. Then once you launch the game and play they are normal? From your first post I take this to be the case. Do any of these tables have BG videos, or images in the BG video folder? I believe PinballX uses the BG video folder first then uses the image folder if no files are in the video folder. That's where I would start the troubleshooting.

Jason

Thanks jsncarter for the reply. I verified that I imported these BG files from my D:\PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Backglass Videos folder. I also made sure I have the BG images and BG videos in the D:\PinballX\Media\Visual Pinball\Backglass Images folder.

For some reason, this did not change anything. When I changed the DirectB2S in Frontend option in PBX settings to NO, some of my tables were fixed and no longer show the speaker grill on the BG while in PBX.

However, now some of my other table BGs do not show up at all. For those, I now have the generic PBX logo on my BG.

In addition to all of this, I still have a lot of tables that still show the speaker grill on the BG while in PBX.

I'm not sure what to try next and would love some additional suggestions.

ok if you would like to use the DirectB2S option in PinballX then make sure it is enabled, then you are going to need to use the mouse on each table while browsing your tables and adjust them just as you would when playing the game. You will have to right click on the BG and then select grill hidden from the drop down box. You will have to do this for all that show the grill, Tom says that there is no other way to do this as the builder of the B2S file chooses the default setup. Since PinballX uses a fresh copy of the B2S and not your already configured existing saved B2S file we have to go through them one by one. I had about half of my tables to do ... or about 120 BG's.

So with DirectB2S set to yes PBX will look for that file first, then it will look for a video file of the correct name and finally it will look for a still image. if you have those things in the proper location then it comes down to making sure the name is the same.

I hope this helps.

Here's what I've done to resolve my issue. I moved all back glass videos and back glass images that showed the speaker grill on the back glass. I had several of each table in both the backglass video and image folders.

Once all of those files were removed from the Pinball X media folder I then resized/cropped the back glass images, removing the speaker grill from the image. I had to do this for each table that needed it, which was most of them.

Lastly I had a few issues with naming structure for some tables while others were fine. This was a strange one because I was using the same naming structure throughout, however some tables did not like how I had them named so I had some trial and error for each of the trouble tables with naming conventions.

Although using back glass videos or active B2S images would have been nice for most of my tables, the hassle was not worth it in the long run. I have some backglass videos working while the others are static images which look almost as good.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

• Like 2