All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX as a racing front End??? Crazy???

jaharr01

Okay, this is a question for Tom or Draco1962. Realistically I can make this work as it already has. The part I want to Run by Tom and Draco is, this may be something that others may be interested in, and:

1.are you okay with me doing a mod and posting it on the site as long as you are given due credit? Basically changing the Pinballx logo to a DrivingX logo and etc? I know if I mod it and never put it on the net, you would be okay with that, as it's free software.I wouldn't repack the software just put how I modded it and the issues with it I ran into. I don't want to peev people off. That's not my intention.

2. If you are okay with it, is there a way Tom to change the # of tables text which is obviously dynamic?

Also let me say this. PinballX is a stable frontend that I have used on my pincab for 1.5 years. The simplicity and the rock solid base is what makes this a great front end. There are many out there looking for bells and whistles and there are also some looking for rock solid software that has a light footprint. Also the simplicity of not worrying about a theme or theme related artwork to have to mess with, just the games themselves. I'm not saying that you should change your direction. just having that option is nice. To be honest with you I would like to set all my machines up with a form of pinballx. I like continuity, but that's me. Whether that will happen or not is to be said later. Sorry to be so wordy (I too many beers)

Jay

• 2 months later...

How do you get your PC Games to launch from Pinball X? I have a combo arcade and pinball cabinet and want Pinball X to simply be able to launch normal PC Games via icons (*.lnk) or .bat files if possible.

I also have a simpit so using Pinball X would also be appealing as well.

Ideas?

Okay, this is a question for Tom or Draco1962. Realistically I can make this work as it already has. The part I want to Run by Tom and Draco is, this may be something that others may be interested in, and:

1.are you okay with me doing a mod and posting it on the site as long as you are given due credit? Basically changing the Pinballx logo to a DrivingX logo and etc? I know if I mod it and never put it on the net, you would be okay with that, as it's free software.I wouldn't repack the software just put how I modded it and the issues with it I ran into. I don't want to peev people off. That's not my intention.

2. If you are okay with it, is there a way Tom to change the # of tables text which is obviously dynamic?

Also let me say this. PinballX is a stable frontend that I have used on my pincab for 1.5 years. The simplicity and the rock solid base is what makes this a great front end. There are many out there looking for bells and whistles and there are also some looking for rock solid software that has a light footprint. Also the simplicity of not worrying about a theme or theme related artwork to have to mess with, just the games themselves. I'm not saying that you should change your direction. just having that option is nice. To be honest with you I would like to set all my machines up with a form of pinballx. I like continuity, but that's me. Whether that will happen or not is to be said later. Sorry to be so wordy (I too many beers)

Jay

Sorry I totally missed this, Jay. As for repacking it, that might be frowned upon by Tom as it is his program however, there is no harm in customizing it for your own use. Maybe put together your files and run it by him to see what he has to say. That said, as of the latest versions you should be able to modify some of the text.

Are you running any PC games? If so, an example of your pinballx.ini and game .xml file might be helpful for others that are interested in pursuing a similar project.

After getting no sleep.... I finally got it sorted out.... blah!

When I get more time I'll put more info on here.... but bottom line is I had to setup and use Rocket Launcher to launch my PC Games from Pinball X. I did the same thing for running MAME from from Pinball X so that I could use the nice bezels that alot of people using RL like to make.

Rocket Launcher is configured to use Pinball X as its default Frontend. After that it saw all my systems from Pinball X including my PC system. Then I had to setup the PC "emulator" in Rocket Launcher, which is PCLauncher, and I set ip up as a virtual emulator.

This video helped... I just made my frontend Pinball X instead of Hyperspin.

... and some helpful links...

http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=PCLauncher

http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?1025-PC-Launcher-cant-find-Emu_Path&p=10333#post10333

I'm a little tired now.... so hopefully this will suffix for now.

Now Pinball X really rocks for me. I'll show a demo when I'm all setup with some artwork,etc...