All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Automated rotating display idea for my MAME Cab

katuuuz

So, sounds pretty impressive, yah? Please anyone with coding knowledge let know if it's possible GameEx-wise.

So, along with a useless dell dimension I picked up for $40, came a monitor. It's nothing special, only in that it rotates to stop at horizontal, and it also rotates and stops at verticle... By manually turning it with your hands. (envision monitor model EN7220).

Now, upon thinking of how I could incorporate the rotating display into my arcade I figured it would be cool if it could done electrically... which lead me to want it to be done automatically.

I couldn't beleive it when I found it, (and so cheap at $12USD) but I'm sure some of you heard of RaspberryPi. Apparently you can get This circuit board and a program called Python to run 2 DC motors, in forward and reverse, at a programmed amount of time.

So, if a program on my computer can operate physical motors that turn my motor vertical or horizontal, can't GameEx run that Python program?

And if GameEx can run that program to send that command to the monitor motors, couldn't we just get completely crazy and have it send the horizontal or vertical signal to the monitor PER GAME?

Imagine selecting Frogger from the games list only to watch it boot up vertically as the screen rotates into vertical position!! Then boot back out to a vertical GameEX and then select Mortal Kombat and watch the screen go back to horizontal?!

Maybe I'm a little over ambitios, but if a basic motor, gear and some sort of chain or pully can make this happen, I want to do it. The only thing I'd need help with is the software end, launching the Python program and commands end...

Will watch with interest. Seen a few different approaches, including bycycle wheels, expensive actuators and cheaper stepper motors. Guessing the cheapest would be two motors with stopper switches when a monitor reaches 0 or 90 degrees.

so wish I had designed a rotating into mine.

Look forward to seeing your build.

Will watch with interest. Seen a few different approaches, including bycycle wheels, expensive actuators and cheaper stepper motors. Guessing the cheapest would be two motors with stopper switches when a monitor reaches 0 or 90 degrees.

so wish I had designed a rotating into mine.

Look forward to seeing your build.

Glad to have you aboard.

I'm in the somewhat early stages. Trying to work the kinks out of my mame compile, getting GameEx ready, (still waiting on MAMEDVDS to get me my 1063 set) then the manual labor begins :wacko:

On a very early and weak first note: I ordered a 4.5v dc motor today. 1500rpm, probably going to be too small to do the job. But I wanna have a look.

Hmm. Got in touch with Jrok who has built a non-motorized rotating display... The giant bearing he used that I asked him to point me to costs $115! Have to wait until the girl gets back from vacation and see what she thinks, she's already displeased with the proposed arcade budget not including this bearing.

Hahaha I know. If it were up to me our 3rd bedroom would be an arcade. She is a doll and deserves a lot of credit for putting up with my inner nerd. Plus she'll be all over it when it's done 😉

Draco: I would love to use a crt, I have a 22" tube tv I had plan to use, but if I can muster a way to get rotating, I might have to opt for a lighter weight LCD.

Here are a few links from TopJimmyCooks:

BYOAC: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112424.0

and the correct companion link: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112424.0

One thing to consider an LCD over a CRT or TV is that there may be some video distortion due to changes in the magnetic fields as most CRTs are designed for a single orientation.

Found this one too.. thread is 39 pages long! http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,88912.0.html

and a vid of his rotation test...

Holy shit man that kid is like the ancient alien of arcades! Thanks what a great read Drac. Just googled the parts, and the motor, driver, controller, are about $160. I mean doable, but damn, way off budget. That dude is crazy, that's way out of my league. I did get a better understanding of how it all goes, moving parts etc so thanks man, I can try and take that knowledge and try and whip up some sort of, *ehm* ghetto apparatus.

I totally understand when comparing the two... when the girl gets home can I give her your email?? :lol:

Honestly, haven't purchased ANYTHING yet, save for $40 worth of abandoned materials. DVI to VGA cord and a shitty graphics card for a PC i've since abandoned for this luckily free win7-64 hp machine my sister threw out bc it was "broken". So I'm already starting neggy.

If I can try and make it happen all together for like $50 bones, I could probably swing it.

I hear ya. Got a pretty tech-savvy friend to whom I've pitched the idea. I'm sure we'll rig something up. And hey, if not maybe I convince her down the rd to build a Nintendo style cabaret if the rotation plan runs out of funds and I go fixed horizontal 😁

• Like 1

If you do some searches... OK, lots of searches, you will find where people have rigged electric screw drivers, drills, even DC headlight motors as solutions. I will be curious to see what you come up with!

Holy shit man that kid is like the ancient alien of arcades! Thanks what a great read Drac. Just googled the parts, and the motor, driver, controller, are about $160. I mean doable, but damn, way off budget. That dude is crazy, that's way out of my league. I did get a better understanding of how it all goes, moving parts etc so thanks man, I can try and take that knowledge and try and whip up some sort of, *ehm* ghetto apparatus.

As uberpubert69 once said, "ain't nothing about this hobby easy man", and that doesn't exclude the wallet. ;)

• Like 1