All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Bug With gameex 6.14

Iro

Hello

I've got this error message when i try to launch gameex configurtion

Framework 1.1 , directx 9 are installed.

I'm under Windows XP SP1

any idea ??

thanks

sanstitre5aj.jpg

ive been gettin this a lot while running games through gameex like tiberiun sun???

Hello

I've got this error message when i try to launch gameex configurtion

Framework 1.1 , directx 9 are installed.

I'm under Windows XP SP1

any idea ??

thanks

sanstitre5aj.jpg

Please post your log.

ive been gettin this a lot while running games through gameex like tiberiun sun???

Gerble, I need specifics and detail to have any chance of fixing it, and although the error may look the same its a completely different issue. You need to make it easier for me.

Thanks.

here is the log

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: GameEx: Version 6.14: Starting Log

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: Operating System Platform: Win32NT

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: Operating System Name: Windows XP

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: ERROR: An error occured while checking for previous instance of GameEx

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: This can be caused by a bad windows or .net framework install.

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: GameEx will likely function incorrectly as it cannot check for running processes

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: GameEx will now exit with errors

08:31:22.0 23/05/2006: Application-defined or object-defined error.

08:31:22.1 23/05/2006: ERRORS DETECTED: EXITING

I have reinstalled the framework 1.1 , removed the old version and it's similar.

I don't think it's a problem of windows because the older version (5.4 or 5.6) functioned correctly.

Between the older and the newer version installed, i didn't make any changements.

I see there is a newer version, i will try it.

Thanks

I have tested with the new version 6.15 but it's the same thing ...

Any idea TSpeirs ??

Thank you

Hi, this problem come up once in a while. Theres no known fix for it sorry, other thant ro reinstall windows. If you search the forums yourll find it mentioned. I have no idea why this happens. It's not a gameex issue, its a windows issue.

Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem with the latest GameEx (6.19) on my home theatre PC. :(

It's running a (legal) version of Windows MCE2005 with all the latest updates, .NET 1.1 and 2.0, DirectX 9.0C and Media Player 10. No indications whatsoever of any problems with my Windows and/or .NET installation, except for this GameEx error.

The system consists of an ASUS Pundit-R barebone, 2.8GHz P4 Prescott core with 800 MHz FSB, 512 MB DDR memory, etc. In spite of the onboard video and sound, I was expecting this system to be perfectly capable of running GameEx (MAME itself runs flawlessly).

Here's the log file:

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: GameEx: Version 6.19: Starting Log

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: Operating System Platform: Win32NT

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: Operating System Name: Windows XP

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: ERROR: An error occured while checking for previous instance of GameEx

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: This can be caused by a bad windows or .net framework install.

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: GameEx will likely function incorrectly as it cannot check for running processes

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: GameEx will now exit with errors

Perhaps I should add that GameEx runs fine on my desktop system, and I really like it. But of course, I would prefer to run it on my HTPC in the living room...

Any new insights regarding this issue, or an easier fix than a complete Windows reinstall???

Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem with the latest GameEx (6.19) on my home theatre PC. :(

It's running a (legal) version of Windows MCE2005 with all the latest updates, .NET 1.1 and 2.0, DirectX 9.0C and Media Player 10. No indications whatsoever of any problems with my Windows and/or .NET installation, except for this GameEx error.

The system consists of an ASUS Pundit-R barebone, 2.8GHz P4 Prescott core with 800 MHz FSB, 512 MB DDR memory, etc. In spite of the onboard video and sound, I was expecting this system to be perfectly capable of running GameEx (MAME itself runs flawlessly).

Here's the log file:

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: GameEx: Version 6.19: Starting Log

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: Operating System Platform: Win32NT

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: Operating System Name: Windows XP

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: Operating System Version: 5.1.2600

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: ERROR: An error occured while checking for previous instance of GameEx

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: This can be caused by a bad windows or .net framework install.

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: GameEx will likely function incorrectly as it cannot check for running processes

20:15:24.3 26-5-2006: GameEx will now exit with errors

Perhaps I should add that GameEx runs fine on my desktop system, and I really like it. But of course, I would prefer to run it on my HTPC in the living room...

Any new insights regarding this issue, or an easier fix than a complete Windows reinstall???

I wish I knew, but I've never even experienced the problem myself.

I wish I knew, but I've never even experienced the problem myself.

Being a programmer myself, I know how dificult it is to solve a problem that you can not replicate yourself. :(

Just let me know if I can help you in any way to trace down the issue (i.e. by running a diagnostic version of the code with some printfs/additional logging that can pinpoint the exact point in your code where the problem occurs, which error code the windows system call returns, etc.).

The only additional info I can provide at this point in time is that I got the same error popup posted earlier (by Iro) when running the configuration tool. GameEx itself now behaves in the same way (the previous version gave a nice error screen with the log info).

Are you logged in with an Adminstrator account on your HTPC?

Yes, I am logged in as an administrator on both boxes.

But you are right; when I login as guest on my desktop, I get the same error....

Yes, I am logged in as an administrator on both boxes.

But you are right; when I login as guest on my desktop, I get the same error....

you could try .net 2.0 might fix it, also have you got all latest motherboard chipset drivers etc. i know it sounds obvious but it fixed a problem i had

hope it helps

you could try .net 2.0 might fix it, also have you got all latest motherboard chipset drivers etc. i know it sounds obvious but it fixed a problem i had

hope it helps

Yes, .NET 2.0 and all latest motherboard/chipset drivers are already installed.

Nevertheless, thanks for your suggestions.

Being a programmer myself, I know how dificult it is to solve a problem that you can not replicate yourself. :(

Just let me know if I can help you in any way to trace down the issue (i.e. by running a diagnostic version of the code with some printfs/additional logging that can pinpoint the exact point in your code where the problem occurs, which error code the windows system call returns, etc.).

The only additional info I can provide at this point in time is that I got the same error popup posted earlier (by Iro) when running the configuration tool. GameEx itself now behaves in the same way (the previous version gave a nice error screen with the log info).

Thanks for offer, but GameEx already traps the error, as shown in the log. It is as a system issue, and not a bug in GameEx. Theres more info on it elsewhere on the forum, bu basically the Diagnositics namespace in .net does not work on some machine configurations. .net crashes when checking for running processes. I think Headkaze maybe the closest in diagnosing the issue in that it could be a rights issue.

Thanks for offer, but GameEx already traps the error, as shown in the log. It is as a system issue, and not a bug in GameEx. Theres more info on it elsewhere on the forum, bu basically the Diagnositics namespace in .net does not work on some machine configurations. .net crashes when checking for running processes. I think Headkaze maybe the closest in diagnosing the issue in that it could be a rights issue.

The only thing I could imagine that might have affected the default "rights" in my setup is that I installed my Xbox360 as a media extender. This means that apart from the administrator (myself), the Xbox360 has permissions to access the media center PC as well. I'm always logged in as an administrator, and thus everything is installed with administrator privileges as well...

Does anybody else who's experiencing this issue have the media extender stuff installed?

Kind regards,

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to try a full re-install of GameEx making sure your logged in as Administrator. The rights of the user who installs the application might be effecting things despite being logged on as Admin.

Everything (including GameEx) has already been installed with me being logged in as an administrator. So I still don't see how there can be any rights issue.... :(

Everything (including GameEx) has already been installed with me being logged in as an administrator. So I still don't see how there can be any rights issue.... :(

I don't know much about HTPCs, but I do know something about the xbox 360 however...

I have had no sucess running the xbox 360 on the same network as my cab for some reason or another. Is there some possible way that the xbox 360 is the problem? You try running the program without your xbox 360 on the extender? That's the only way my cab and my xbox play nice together. Just a thought.