All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Requirements & DirectB2S Problem

Jannek

Hello everybody,

does somebody know what are the requirements of PinballX? ...and maybe also the requirements of PinballXLite?
I´m asking because I have an issue which has been tracked down to the hardware, but I don´t know exactly which component.

I´ve issued this topic already in another thread and "mace" gave his best to help, but now I´ve heard in another Forum (flippermarkt.de) that another guy has identical problems and therefore I would like to summarize the topic:

- some days ago I´ve installed DOF (I´m using a PinControl1 with a connected RGB-Strip).
- most tables are working fine and even DOF is working
- but there are few tables which show me an error "C:\...\.directb2s" cannot be found..." on launching the table
(in this case the table starts, DOF starts, DMD starts, just the Backglass remains black)

By the way: the table isn´t named in this error message! It only says "\.directb2s" cannot be found! Maybe the name of the table won´t correctly be forwarded?!

This is only if I start the table out of PinballX (after I installed DOF - previously they all worked fine!). If I start the tables directly out of Visual Pinball they also work fine without any error. I will attach a screenshot of my error-message, my DOF-Settings and my PinballX-Settings.

- the used backglasses are *.directb2s files. Names are exactly the same
(If I start the tables directly out of Visual Pinball everything works perfect with current settings).
- before I´ve installed DOF everything was working fine.
- if I start my tables directly out of VP9.9.0 or VP(PM5) everything works fine:
-> Backglass will be loaded, DOF starts, no problems
- if I start my tables out of PinballX (that´s what I used to do): I get an error message (as stated before)
-> DOF starts, Backglass Monitor gets dark, Playfield will be shown with mentioned error

- This happens only with following tables:
a ) Indiana Jones VP920 MOD 2.0 FS (ij_l7)
b ) Indiana Jones MOD 2.5 FS PHYSMOD5_NM (ij_l7)
c ) STTNG_VP990_HD_GI_MOD_1.3_Physmod_FOM (sttng_x7)
d ) Jurassic Park (Data East 1993) UW_LW_dark-Javier_PM5_1.1 (jupk_513)

- those mentioned tables are not all the same VP-Version. The error happens with VP9.9.0 as well as PM5

- I´ve already tried to rename one of my tables to a little easier naming "NightMod.vpt" and "NightMod.directb2s", but this changed nothing.

- I´ve also tried to use a backglass, which is working fine on another table.

But this changes also nothing and will end up in an error message exactly the same way as before with the other BG.

- Taking out the error selection via the Directb2s menu
This helps to prevent the interupting error message.

Table starts and is playable but indeed without the Backglass (so it´s only half way through...).

- Then I tried to use different ROM-files (which changed nothing)

...but by accident I found out that if I load the table in VP (I´ve NOT started it - just loaded),

then I start PinballX and launch one of those tables: everything works perfect.

- It seems to be a Timing issue at any stage, but I don´t know in which Programm/Software/script.

- I found out that if I decrease Graphics Settings in VP, I get STTNG and Jurassic Park running in PinballX.

Seems to be that VP + B2S + PinballX needs too much memory...
Still I don't know exactly what the problem is: RAM, GraphicsRAM, CPU...

My System:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4x 3200 MHz)
RAM: 4 GB (DDR2-1066 Kit)
GPU: MSI - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 - 2 GB

Another user´s system with identical issue:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 4 x 3 GHz
RAM: 4 GB RAM 666 MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 6670 512MB

Maybe some of you know the requirements or have another idea.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Jannek

post-29181-0-83419600-1438067515_thumb.j

DOF.zip

PinballX.zip

Edited by Jannek

Hey there,

an additional Information: it seems that the Problem isn´t the RAM. For testing puposes I´ve added temporarily 2 more GBs of RAM and that changed nothing (I think it got even more worse - I think because 4GBs are 1066MHz and 2GBs are 800MHz).

Kind regards,

Jannek

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

now I´ve encountered this issue also on "Monster Bash" Table...

And at "VPForums.org" there´s another user facing this issue.

So, maybe anyone has new suggestions/ideas/Information?

Many thanks in advance and Kind regards,

Jannek