All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] Changes for lifetime GameEx users

Tom Speirs

I will be making some changes shortly for the pupose of sustainability and moving towards the upcoming GameEx Evolution release (the next and new version of GameEx)

I will be extending to August 2013 eligibitly for current lifetime license holders a free lifetime upgrade to Evolution and liftime GameEx Online.

As the online features such as FTP and GameEx Online are new, users who registered before August 2013 will be demoted to basic members on the forum and lose the new online features. Lifetime free updates for the original GameEx version will still obviously remain in place.

For those affected new licenses can be purchased from the store. New licenses include a free upgrade but there won't be any upgrade pricing until Evolution is released but once Evolution is released prices will likely increase anyway

In summary, the new and upcoming online features will not be included for older lifetime members but lifetime free updates (whie the product is active) will obviously remain.

Note: The 1 year online non gameex pass in the store will not provide a license for GameEx.

View the full article

• Like 1

I purchased my lifetime GameEx license back in 2008 (still have the original email w/key from Tom), I was wondering if there are any discounts/promotions available for legacy lifetimers to obtain a new GameEx Lifetime/Online Lifetime/EmuMovies memberships? I got a 50% off EmuMovies membership with the key, but never used it, and of course its no longer valid now. Thanks!

Hi Magus,

As stated in the post there are no upgrades currently. There will be a 20% discount but not until Evolution is released. I don't really want to offer to do upgrades until I have a solid product released. I hope you understand the reasoning. I expect the price to go up on release anyway though.

I could rethink the stance on not offering upgrades until release. Would you folks want that?

Unserstandable, thanks for the info. Do the current GameEx licenses include a discount for EmuMovies? Like if I was to purchase Lifetime GameEx with Lifetime online pass does that come with a discount for EmuMovies or visaversa?

I was also wondering about discounted prices for previous GameEx customers.

I bought GameEx in 2007 for $15.00 or $20.00 after using the free version for a few months. I could have continued using the free version for a long time as I did not care about the nag screen; but I felt it was so good that it was worth paying the money to support it. Even now, I still think it is a great front end!

The current price for Lifetime GameEx with Lifetime online pass is £29.00 (or $46.00 American), which by comparison feels high. After all, I already have a great front end now, AND since I have not been able to get my hands on Evolution to try out, I don't know if it's worth the $46.00 (or more since you say the price will probably go up).

Perhaps some more demo videos would help. :)

There will be some more news on progress soon. We are getting much closer.

I would rather do it for less but unfortunately its not viable to. The price may come down later or not go up. It depends what the demand is. Its an economics thing and is hard to get right. If it was flying off the shelves or pricing it lower would make it do so I would adjust it. Right now with Evolution coming my feeling is not to give it away.

Anyway RedDog, as a contributor you get it free anyway, in case you didn't know.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have an an honest opinion, should I wait until GameEx Evolution is released before I become a lifetime subscriber or will it benefit me if I subscribed again in the next few weeks?

It's completely up to you naturally, but if it helps set your mind at ease, a lifetime license purchased now qualifies as a lifetime license for Evolution. For full details you can check everything out right here. In terms of the economics I would definitely take the following into consideration (if it were me) ;)

I don't really want to offer to do upgrades until I have a solid product released. I hope you understand the reasoning. I expect the price to go up on release anyway though.

Edit:

Also if you upgrade right now you'll receive a free license for the Convert-It suite, which is another really sweet product from Spesoft. Can't go wrong there! :D