All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Windows 10 and GameEx

DazzleHP

One thing I can't seem to get to work on WIndows 10 is Homegroup and sharing. I can see the folders I want to share on my network but keeps giving me an error when I try to open the folders and troubleshoot says it can not find any issues. Hell if it can't find any errors how am I suppose too.

Update! I actually can copy files only from 1 computer to the other but not from the other even thou I can see all the folders.

Have you tried turning off "Password Protect Sharing" (Control Panel --> Network & Sharing --> Network & Sharing Center --> Advanced Sharing Settings --> Home or work). I usually get that problem when one of the computers has that enabled (default setting).

I'll give that a try. ;)

Update! Nope still not working very strange my main PC which is running Win 10 Pro can connect to the other PC running Win 10 Home just fine and can transfer files that way but not the other way around.

Well after using Win 10 for a few days I think For my laptop it's perfect but for my GameEx retro gaming PC I am going back to Win 7 as everything works perfectly under Win 7 without any issues what-so-ever. I found some issues with Win 10. Maybe in the future I will upgrade when Win 10 is more stable as it definitely feels like a work in progress OS. i burned my copy of win 10 upgrade so I am good to go for the future. I might go back to Win 8.1 Pro as I liked how windows looks in that OS and only have a few minor issues with emulators.

Sounds like more of a RocketLauncher issue than Windows 10. Also, as you probably are well aware, you are more likely to encounter application issues when performing an upgrade install over an exisiting OS than format and install.

• Like 1

no mine was a fresh format install the issue with the fonts not only applied to rocketlauncher that is where I first discovered it and gave me windows error msgs and not only with that program. I have 9000+ fonts installed. Yes that is alot of fonts but I do alot of graphical art work and use all kinds of fonts. However I never run into these issues on Win 7 and like I said for my laptop Win 10 is cool to play around with but for serious work and retro gaming I am personally going back to 7 as it just works kinda like GameEx.

My Pinball PC thou I upgraded to Win 10 and works great with PinballX, Visual Pinball and Future Pinball perfectly fine but that is all I do on that system.

I also noticed issues with my Corsair K95RGB keyboard on Win 10 that I don't have on Win 7.

Ahhh back on Win 7 now and everything is running good...... :) Sorry Dazzle didn't mean to jack your thread [emoji41]

I took the Windows 10 plunge and most everything works. Fusion Genesis emulator keeps giving me errors about how the files are too large to be Genesis games so I don't know why that is but Mame kept what I had before. There are a lot of games that don't show up in the Gameex build that will show up on the 64ui. There are enough playable games but I go back and forth like Alien syndrome isn't found in game ex. Neither Alien strorm but they play fine in Mame64ui.

Windows 10 just killed my laptop. Awesome. :'(

Looks like I'll be going back to 7 SP 1 and reinstalling everything. Thank God I did a backup first! :)

No Windows 10 on the cab for me! At least not yet!

Well I gave it another chance and tried one more time and this time everything appears to be running ok however I haven't tried installing all those fonts yet but as it stands it is working on my end. Corsair put out a new CUE update today and that appears to have fixed my keyboard issues.

@Adultery sorry about your laptop man. I found that my Alienware M18X R2 doesn't have drivers yet that supports Win 10 so no upgrading for me staying on Win 7 on that baby.

Well I gave it another chance and tried one more time and this time everything appears to be running ok however I haven't tried installing all those fonts yet but as it stands it is working on my end. Corsair put out a new CUE update today and that appears to have fixed my keyboard issues.

@Adultery sorry about your laptop man. I found that my Alienware M18X R2 doesn't have drivers yet that supports Win 10 so no upgrading for me staying on Win 7 on that baby.

The driver issue worried me the most. Especially after the install going into device manager and seeing 4-5 ! marks. It automatically went out and updated everyone of them. Took about 30 minutes but it worked. Not much good if your network devices are hosed but I was impressed.

Well I spent my day going from 'No Operating System Found' after the 'upgrade' back to 7 SP 1 and then back up to 10. Now I can spend tomorrow putting all my software back on it. At least it turned out to be a good time to upgrade my laptop to a SSD and double my RAM to 16. Hopefully I'll come out of this better than when I started.

I feel for normal people. If I hadn't been smart enough to back up all my important files I really would have been up the creek on this one. Wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue where the upgrade dies at ~70% and fails to roll back the OS... It was like a 'black screen of death' really!

Not to mention I couldn't get a damn ISO for my OEM version of W7. This whole process haven't made me want to recommend the upgrade to people...

• Like 1

One thing I can't seem to get to work on WIndows 10 is Homegroup and sharing. I can see the folders I want to share on my network but keeps giving me an error when I try to open the folders and troubleshoot says it can not find any issues. Hell if it can't find any errors how am I suppose too.

Update! I actually can copy files only from 1 computer to the other but not from the other even thou I can see all the folders.

I had similar issues with shares. After trying numerous "fixes" found online the problem just kept coming back. The only 100% solution was to completely disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 and force Windows to use only SMBv1. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have made Windows 8 and 10 so that you can't just disable SMBv3 without it also turning off SMBv2, which would likely work fine (since that's what Windows 7 uses). Like you said, it's probably easier to just go back to 7 and not have to fight with it all the time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

Windows 10 is nice but there seems to be a lot of little nusiances that crop up and drive you crazy until you figure out how to fix.

That it does. I actually seem to prefer Win 8.1 Pro as it works and looks the best for me. I use Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix which are a must when using Win 8 or 8.1.

Everything runs real smooth on 8 at least for me it does.