All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Windows 10 and GameEx

DazzleHP

I've been wondering many of things:

Is W10 really a Free upgrade?

To what end, and which OS benefits most from this? (W7, W8, W8.1 etc) Who is eligible?

I suspect only full license (Windows license that is) holders will get the upgrade, but what if you have a legit OEM version of either? If you are still using the same system are we in or out?

Now the nitty gritty - i know you've been testing W10 and the latest GX with it, I applaud that. But i ask lightly - will there come a point when we will need to move on?

I only ask because you have supported legacy OS's so well in the past, but accept that at some point progress will have to take precedence. Can we assume that W7 is all well?

I don't know how the upgrading works with Windows 10 but right now we have no plans to drop any operating systems. Although not tested evo should even support XP. However, yes, you should move on from XP anyway!

All we did very briefly is make sure everything still work with Windows 10 and it does now.

• Like 1

I don't know how the upgrading works with Windows 10 but right now we have no plans to drop any operating systems. Although not tested evo should even support XP. However, yes, you should move on from XP anyway!

Thanks man! I'm on W7 but it seems W10 is taking over - i got a lil paranoid i think :)

I also agree - XP should be gone by now.

You can read about the qualifications for Windows 10 upgrade here on the Microsoft site. Even more detailed explanation here. I wonder if Evo will feature voice interaction with Cortana... If so, I have a Halo theme that can wait until Evo is released...

XP has amazing staying power!

I can't get away from it even if I want to because it's embedded in so much "stuff".

I had to run ie compatiblity mode just today on a 7 machine just to get it to talk to a non r2 release of 2008 server. This was on a downgraded 8.1 client to 7 pro.

I know, it's still so easy to support from some angles, but man.......

• Like 1

I've been wondering many of things:

Is W10 really a Free upgrade?

To what end, and which OS benefits most from this? (W7, W8, W8.1 etc) Who is eligible?

I suspect only full license (Windows license that is) holders will get the upgrade, but what if you have a legit OEM version of either? If you are still using the same system are we in or out?

Now the nitty gritty - i know you've been testing W10 and the latest GX with it, I applaud that. But i ask lightly - will there come a point when we will need to move on?

I only ask because you have supported legacy OS's so well in the past, but accept that at some point progress will have to take precedence. Can we assume that W7 is all well?

Windows 10 will be the only OS that supports DirectX 12. The biggest feature of that is Multiadapter - effectively allowing you to use a combination of all of your graphics horsepower without needing mirrored cards (even taking advantage of on-board graphics and APUs even when you have a dedicated card). That should give a decent performance lift if and when devs start to take advantage of it.

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from Windows 7 (you can even upgrade to the Insider preview now - which is what I'm now using as my daily driver for the past couple of months). Microsoft have said that you will be able to upgrade without wiping your current installation too (this worked even with the previews). The last couple of versions have now been very stable :-) Personally, I don't really see any reason not to upgrade when it is released in July.

Windows 10 is very cool.

I am using it and latest builds are more or less production ready.

Don't be scared to move to 10, it has all the good parts of 7 and 8.1.

And bury XP FFS!

• 1 month later...

My Bartop Windows 7 machine crapped out with a corrupt OS. I thought it was the HD but it passes all tests. So not I need to load another OS and am tempted to use Windows 10. I cant find my MB driver disk and dont really feel like trying to find the drivers. I installed the windows 10 preview and it found everything. Very impressed. Do you think I will be ok using it with Gameex? I assume on the 29th I will be able to grab the release via download. When I installed the preview it showed not activated and would not allow me to activate it.

What do you guys think?

So far as I am aware, you have to have a registered copy of either 7 or 8/8.1 in order to qualify for the free upgrade. I am less certain about those using a preview version.

I'm running GameEx with Windows 10 on the last preview build. The only problem I'm having is with the Fusion emulator and that was quite a few preview builds ago. I need to check it again. MAME, Visual Boy Advance, Nestopia, SNES9X, and Stella are all working fine. As are my Xbox 360 wireless controllers and IPAC2 based control panel.

My system is pretty low power and inexpensive (Athlon 5350, Asrock AM1H-ITX, 12 GB ram, cheapie SanDisk SSD). Win 10 runs a bit smoother than 7 did. That's a big reason why I'm making the jump.

I'm running GameEx with Windows 10 on the last preview build. The only problem I'm having is with the Fusion emulator and that was quite a few preview builds ago. I need to check it again. MAME, Visual Boy Advance, Nestopia, SNES9X, and Stella are all working fine. As are my Xbox 360 wireless controllers and IPAC2 based control panel.

My system is pretty low power and inexpensive (Athlon 5350, Asrock AM1H-ITX, 12 GB ram, cheapie SanDisk SSD). Win 10 runs a bit smoother than 7 did. That's a big reason why I'm making the jump.

Good to hear. I am only running Daphne and Mame so that is good news!

Updated this morning before work .... man that was fast too only took bout 20 mins. no issues but will have more time after work to test but at least it installed ok

Did a clean install last night with the latest RTM build that is supposed to be upgraded to release. Like you said. took no time and found every driver I needed. Loaded Gameex and will configure it tonight. I have 3 arcade machine and all of them are set up identical as far as paths are concerned so that should make it a little easier.

Just did a round of nvidia updates that they claim are specifically bug fixes for the launch.

I didn't bother with the Windows insider, to many other things going on, but I'm a big fan of clean installs.

For those of you that have I'm wondering, once you upgrade and get your key, are there plans to have an installer or iso available to facilitate this?

We haven't even discussed a move from 7 yet, and I doubt one will come soon as there are just so many things that must be tested before a huge roll-out like this.

I did an update after downloading the media to USB. You can locate from one of the numerous new articles on the subject the link to the iso or USB media of your choice. Be sure that you have your key before installing!

I have everything installed and running with Windows 10 now. Everything seems to be fine but it seems a lot more sluggish going from menu items to menu items. Loading games causes a pause of about 8 seconds and adding/deleting favorites about the same. I do have a large amount of games (4000) but I do not recall the win 7 build doing this. I am running AMD dual core E1-2100 dual core with 4 gigs. Probably has something to do with it. I am running the Gameex program off of an SSD with the ROM/Assets on a normal HD.

One thing I can't seem to get to work on WIndows 10 is Homegroup and sharing. I can see the folders I want to share on my network but keeps giving me an error when I try to open the folders and troubleshoot says it can not find any issues. Hell if it can't find any errors how am I suppose too.

Update! I actually can copy files only from 1 computer to the other but not from the other even thou I can see all the folders.

I use a workgroup so not sure, but it sounds to me like you may just have a permission issue. I assume you've tried rejoining?

I have everything installed and running with Windows 10 now. Everything seems to be fine but it seems a lot more sluggish going from menu items to menu items. Loading games causes a pause of about 8 seconds and adding/deleting favorites about the same. I do have a large amount of games (4000) but I do not recall the win 7 build doing this. I am running AMD dual core E1-2100 dual core with 4 gigs. Probably has something to do with it. I am running the Gameex program off of an SSD with the ROM/Assets on a normal HD.

Added another 4 gigs and installed a Geforce GT220 video card to the machine. It helped quite a bit. When larger SSD drives get cheaper I'll move everything to one SSD drive rather than havind gameex on one and the roms/assets on a regular drive. So far so good.

So I tested Pinnacle Game Profiler on Windows 10 and works great!! No issues I have found (tested with Visual Pinball) but you need to disable the new XBOX GameBar that pops up when you press the XBOX button so you can program that button within PGP.

• Like 1