All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

I hate everybody who saw it already. I was going to go see it last night, then all of a sudden my step mom starts whining at Dad "My chest hurts". So they leave to go to the ER at like 7:00pm. The movies are starting at 9:00pm. Dad comes home around 10:30 last night and is like "Well, they just NOW took her back to the exam room, but the doctor had 10 patients ahead of her." So he came home to get something to eat. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here like "well I WAS planning on going out tonight to see the movie" and he's all "well she's kinda more important, and you can watch it whenever". They were all afraid she had a heart attack or something. Turns out she was fine. By the time the doctor came to check her out, she wasn't in pain anymore. They figured she just had really bad heart burn. GOD I CAN'T STAND IT. Anybody need a roommate? No? How about a car you're not using I can buy?

So good BBQ huh :D

BBQ was good! He was out of brisket by the time I got to the food, but the pulled pork was delicious!

The wife's birthday is today so we'll see it at 4 today in its full IMAX 3D glory!

Awesome! I hadn't realized before our group got to the theater that "XD" translates as 3D so I watched it in 3D as well. I even sprung for a pair of "collectible" Kylo Ren 3D glasses, LOL. But yeah, I thought the 3D effects were great, you definitely won't be disappointed. The only other place I've seen 3D effects of the same quality was at Disney World ... which totally makes sense I suppose. ;) (Although admittedly the last time I watched a full length 3D feature film in a theater we were still wearing red and blue tinted glasses ... ugh).

I hate everybody who saw it already.

Haters-Gonna-Hate-Meme-03.jpg

:P j/k. I can't wait for you to see it and hear your thoughts man. Heck I can't wait to see it again.

Yes, even though the movie is out, PLEASE (oh God please) keep this a spoiler free zone!

I was thinking about trying to go see it tonight, but Dad talked me out of it. He said it was on the news that there were actual FIGHTS outside the theater from people pushing trying to get tickets, and then inside the actual theater (not just the concession area) there were people fighting to get seats, and some people were stretchered out. He said I should wait until the hype dies down a bit. I don't want to wait too long though. I mean come on, my name is HANSOLO77. Why am I still not one of the many who have seen it?! :) The longer you wait, the more likely a spoiler will happen and I'll be pissed. I'm already mad at myself because tonight I saw the track list of the soundtrack and the first track had a spoiler in it. So I already know how it starts. :( All I did was glance at it in passing while finding it on Amazon to buy. So yeah, I'm definitely going to try and catch it SOON. My step mom has to work tomorrow and Sunday, so the weekend is probably a no go. I was going to try and maybe do a Saturday matinee, but if she has the car, that's out. Maybe I can mention it to Dad and he'll keep the car so I can maybe do it on Sunday (theaters are open on Sundays aren't they?)

Yes, even though the movie is out, PLEASE (oh God please) keep this a spoiler free zone!

No worries man, I'm like the frickin' spoiler locker. I kept a huge Harry Potter spoiler secret from my wife for years. She was always bugging me to tell her the ending since a) she didn't want to start the reading the series all over again to get caught up again and B) the final movie(s) hadn't yet been released. Then the final movies were released and she finally got the whole story in that way (although despite the fact that while the final HP movie(s) are awesome, they still don't pack the same emotional wallop of the books). Now she's milking me for details about The Force Awakens, and it's just like ... nope. :mellow:

So yeah if anyone posted actual plot details about the movie in this thread I'd at least abuse my mod powers to put it them in spoilers. I actually have a question about an easter egg that I think I spotted at one point, but I'm even sitting on that question until I can talk to people who have seen the film (even though I'm dying to tell someone to keep an eye out for it, I'll probably wait until I see it again).

I am usually pretty good about not spoiling things for others, except Harry Potter. I boght my son who had already read the last book well before the last movie came out a T-shirt that reads "Dumbledore dies on page 596 (I just saved you 4 hours and $30)." to wear to the movies when it premiered. He wore it after, so I was a little disappointed.

I think his movie experience would have been enhanced greatly...

Speaking of T-Shirts.. I bought a really cool shirt that had Darth Maul on it specifically to wear when I went to go see Episode 1. I remember coming out of there and hearing a guy standing in line say "That's the new bad guy!". Pretty sweet. I really want to get a T-Shirt for Episode 7, but haven't had the money. Then I found out at work yesterday that they had a 1-day sale there where they sold (almost) all their Star Wars shirts for $10 a piece. And with your Employee Discount and digital coupon from the app, you basically got it for like $3. I was so pissed because I didn't work that day. ARGH! They had all kinds of styles and sizes too. Now all that's left is the crappy ones, and they won't fit me. :(

This sort of stuff undermines the magic....

post-8419-0-44167900-1450891480_thumb.jp

and who knew, Weird Al was Boba Fett

post-8419-0-17489700-1450891540_thumb.jp

but even if Han Greedo shot first, some things just couldn't be ruined back in the day.....

post-8419-0-24505800-1450891640_thumb.jp

Seemingly we now have a worthy successor to these great moments, and perhaps more to come. I can't wait to join in the other thread, but I can't bring myself to go until the crowds thin down. I'll probably see it right after the holidays.

I say just go for it. I went and saw it Friday night, at 7:30pm. There was maybe 20 people in the whole theater. Maybe it was because I saw it in 3D. The 2D version might have been packed. Better yet, see it both ways and get the whole experience!

Word of advice... don't bother with the 3D. It's still too gimmicky. For instance (without any spoilers), every single external space location shot was horrible. I was constantly getting cross-eyed watching it. They force you to focus on things (like the ship in the shot and not the planet behind it) and when you try to focus, all you get is double vision. There were 2 stars for each star in EVERY shot. It was driving me mad. So save your money on the 3D and spend it on a collector's cup at the concession stand instead. I wish I did. I'm just to excited and wanted to see it in the best possible way. Harry Potter and Hobbit were great in 3D. Star Wars, not so much.

I'm not a big fan of movies in 3D, games are a completely different thing. See the movie the way it was meant to be seen, in glorious unencumbered cinema 2D! I went to a 3pm showing on opening day and it was reasonable, just get a bucket of popcorn to wedge in the seat next to you and arrive early to get a good seat.

I have to say I enjoyed the IMAX 3D experience very much, but would have enjoyed the movie in normal view just the same. The wife and I got our usual seats, top and center which is probably the best for IMAX given the size of the screens.

Is this Han Solo?

Given the pool of names (and photos) I've seen, I have to admit this clip makes him look like a believable young Solo.....Jones too perhaps, at least to me.

I recall reading Han Solo's Revenge way back in the day. Done right, this could be a real diamond in the rough for the Star Wars universe....but it has to be the Solo that shot first ;)

He needs some coaching. The emotions are a little flat and some expressions are overly done. Also his pace is off. Came off to me as a strait copy of Harrison's performance instead of a character portrail. Of course that's point. I'd rather see a genuine casting audition for the part than a copy. But I see what you mean.