All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

I don't mind official releases.. it's the stuff that they DON'T want out that I don't want to see. This includes stuff like theories. The reigning theory at work right now is that Luke is actually the new bad guy's leader (think.. Emperor to Darth Vader, Luke would be the Emperor). The reasoning behind this idea is that you don't have any images of Luke in any released videos/trailers/etc. All you see is a robotic hand patting R2D2, which you're led to believe is Luke, but there's no face so you don't know if it is or not. By not showing Luke, you're mind begins to question why.. and this theory explains it.

Interesting though. At the end of that clip.. it says [This film is not yet rated].

Yeah.. I'm actually getting a little pissed at all the new tv spots. They're definitely over-saturating the market. Every single commercial break there's some Star Wars bit in it, be it an official spot, or something that ends up being a car commercial or something. I'm actually getting to the point where I'm tired of seeing it. This might be coming from my ignorant bitchy step-mom when there were 2 back-to-back Star Wars bits and she was like "Again?! I'm getting so fucking sick of seeing Star Wars". But I can see where she's coming from. On the other hand, she said if she ever met George Lucas, she would ring his neck for inventing light sabers because kids play with her store's rolls of gift wrapping paper like they were light sabers. I mean come on, they're kids. Grow up lady.

I am sure that some reatailer somewhere said the same about Erol Flynn, Johnny Depp, and a few other stars of swashbuckler and pirate movie fame. It's a stick or a dowel. In a kid's mind, it is a sword, a rapier, a sniper rifle, a light saber. Always will be. I am glad of that.

Yeah, but she's the kind of person who'd rather have kids be strapped to a school desk reading than using their imaginations and playing make believe from some movie. She's very cynical that way. Before dad started dating her, she actually went 10 years or more without even watching TV. It's all about the books. Dad's been slowly breaking her of that, but she'll still be sitting on the couch reading a book when he's watching some show he hates because she wanted to watch it (specifically, that new Wiz that was on the other night). Or she's reading in the car going to the grocery store that's less than 5 minutes away. They stopped in my store while I was working one time, and dad was shopping while she was reading. WTF.

I remember reading a lot as a kid and had some friends that did the same, and we still played with out make believe swords, guns, etc. It doesn't matter the source of the fuel for the imagination, so long as play from imagination takes place.

The reviews, they're rolling in!

Potential spoilers!

To me, this is very encouraging:

Abrams was tapped to scrub George Lucas’s Star Wars of the stain that was those dreadful prequels, to inject what is arguably the most beloved fantasy property of all time with new blood while retaining a nostalgic connection to what made the original films great. And that’s exactly what Abrams has done

I don't have my tickets yet, hoping to get in on a matinee Saturday. My friends at work are planning on us all getting together to see it in IMAX. One of them asked in a Facebook reply: "So have we decided when and where yet?". And somebody else wrote: "Probably sometime after Christmas". Then I wrote, "Hell no, I'll see it way before that. :) "