All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Battle Damage - Unofficial Star Wars Hype Thread

tthurman

R2-D2 is the biggest scumbag. After reading this, R2-D2 is not much different than Glinda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz when she answers Dorothy about returning home... "You've always had the power, my dear. You've had it all along."

Would it have hurt the little sumbitch to tell everyone what he already knew? I guess it wouldn't have made movies, but damn.

Meh, somebody just has too much free time. Why didn't R2 tell anybody about the history? Maybe because he's a droid who speaks in binary, or maybe because nobody asked him? :) Maybe sometime between Episode 3 and Episode 4 his memory WAS erased? Just because they don't show it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Maybe he was damaged in some rebel attack? Something else.. even if his memory was erased, that doesn't mean Yoda's and Obi-Wan's were. So in Episode 4 "lets find out what you are my little friend and where you come from" I think that was Kenobi really playing his part more to protect Luke. But Yoda.. unless he's gone senile and suffers from Alzheimer's, he should recognize R2. But again, he could be playing his part as well to protect his identity. And what about in the Death Star trench run.. Vader doesn't see R2 in the back seat? I mean, he shoots him!

What'll really get you thinking is.. does Darth Vader recognize C3PO when they're on Bespin? If you recall, Boba Fett was going to shoot at Chewie, but Vader put his arm up to force his gun down. Did he do that because he didn't want C3PO damaged more than the junk dealers already did?

You can look at it however you want to suit your fancy. Lucas had no idea they were going to do the prequels, no matter what he says. They also didn't have the man hours of the combined Star Wars fan base to make sure every thing in the prequels jibes with the OT.I find the movies much more enjoyable if I just suspend my disbelief and watch the movies. That being said there are a few glaring points that don't make any sense. Like when Leia kisses Luke and then at the end of RotJ said she always knew they were brother and sister. Gross.

• Like 1

My take on it is this; in the Star Wars universe droids aren't really considered "special little beautiful and unique snowflakes," they're tools, production assembly models. I think the associated characters wouldn't recognize a specific R2 droid any more than one of us would recognize one specific iPhone from another. I'm also with Han here, I think it's well within the realm of possibility that R2 and C-3PO had their memories wiped following the events in Episode 3. They simply knew too much, and their data could prove extremely dangerous for Luke, Leia, and any Jedi remaining in hiding. If I were Bail Organa in charge of a newly adopted daughter as well as some freshly acquired droids who had, "seen some stuff, man" you bet I would have their memories wiped in order to protect my family (heh ... for all the good it did him, I guess)

Wookiepedia somewhat confirms this, although interestingly enough makes no mention of R2 (but I mean come on, why would you do one without the other right?)

Organa also took the droids into his service (and ordered C-3PO's memory wiped to keep the chatty droid from someday accidentally revealing Leia's true parentage)

Edit:

Kustom Kid has surely hit on the actual reason for this plot hole, but it's always fun to let the geek flag fly and get into some canonical minutiae! :D

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, Bale Organa ordered the protocol droid's (C-3P0) memory wiped but not R2's. Exerpts from the Wookipedia regarding memory wipe:

"I'm placing these droids in your care. Treat them well. Clean them up. Have the protocol droid's mind wiped."
―Bail Organa, to Raymus Antilles
Bail Organa ordered Raymus Antilles to wipe C-3PO's memory to ensure the true lineage of Leia Organa remained unknown. However, an image of a nine-year-old boy—the droid's maker, Anakin Skywalker—somehow survived the wipe. Years later, after the mention of Obi-Wan Kenobi's name, Owen Lars told Luke Skywalker to wipe the memory of two recently acquired droids—Threepio and Artoo—as part of a routine procedure. The wipe, however, was never performed.
Anyways, I found the Scumbag article to be kind of entertaining. Even if R2 wasn't a scumbag, he was kind of a dick at times, esp to C-3P0. ;)
  • Like 1

Anyways, I found the Scumbag article to be kind of entertaining. Even if R2 wasn't a scumbag, he was kind of a dick at times, esp to C-3P0. ;)

Best freaking episodes ever! Family Guy and Star Wars. That's why my avatar is so "Freakin Sweet!"

• Like 2